One Pot Sweet Potato Chili
Quick and easy sweet potato chili recipe, homemade with simple ingredients over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with vegetables, red beans, black beans and rice.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1 Sweet potato Large, Peeled, Diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 can Fire roasted tomatoes 28 oz. can, Can be replaced with diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Broth Chicken or vegetable broth, Low sodium
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Chili powder Adjust quantity based to your preference
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1 can Red beans Drained, Rinsed
- 1 can Black beans Drained, Rinsed
- 1/4 cup Frozen corn
- 1/2-3/4 cup Brown rice Optional, Cooked, Can be replaced with cooked quinoa or cooked white rice, Can use leftovers
- 1-2 tbsp Lime juice Or lemon juice
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, galric and saute for 3-4 minutes, until onions translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, broth, water, chili powder, cumin powder, salt, pepper, red beans, black beans and mix until combined.
Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Stir often.
In the final 5 minutes of cooking, mix in frozen corn, cooked rice some lime juice.
Optional: Use an immersion blender to blend a small portion of this chili to thicken it up. Don't blend it fully! You can also remove about 1 cup of the chili and blend it separately and mix it back into the pot. I didn't do it.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and lots of cheddar cheese and any other toppings you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- I added 1/4 cup frozen peas because my son likes them. You don't need to add them.
- If you add rice, please note that it will absorb a lot of the liquid over time and chili will become thick. This is especially relevant with leftovers. To thin it out, simply mix in more broth or water and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6929IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg