Instant Pot Indian Chicken Curry
Quick and easy Instant pot chicken curry recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Boneless chicken in coated in a thick gravy with tomatoes, garlic, ginger, yogurt and garam masala.
- 2 tbsp Oil Or ghee
- 1 Cinnamon stick 2 inch piece
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Onion Large, Finely chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Freshly grated
- 1 can Diced tomatoes 14.5 oz. can
- 3 tbsp Yogurt Full fat
- 1/3 cup Water
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1-2 tsp Curry powder Adjust according to your preference
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 pounds Boneless chicken Cit into small 1.5-2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Fresh, Finely chopped, For garnish
Turn Instant Pot to "Sauté" mode and heat oil.
Add cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf and saute for 1-2 minutes until these whole spices are fragrant.
Add onion, garlic, ginger and saute for a few minutes until onion is translucent and garlic/ ginger are fragrant.
Turn off the pressure cooker.
Add tomatoes, yogurt, water, salt, pepper, curry powder, red chili flakes, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and use a hand- held blender to puree everything. It does not have to be super smooth.
Add chicken and mix until fully coated.
Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.”
Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is over, do quick pressure release to remove pressure.
Remove lid and gently stir the curry.
Cook uncovered on "Saute" mode for or a little longer to evaporate/reduce excess liquid and thicken the curry. Don't mix it or stir it too much because that would break up the chicken cubes and shred it.
Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 1160mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3mg