Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Quick and easy Instant pot sausage and peppers recipe, made with simple ingredients. This 30 minute meal is loaded with Italian herbs and peppers.
This is my shortcut way of making the ultimate comfort food meal.
Typically, it’s made on stovetop or baked in the oven but this way is mess-free with almost no splatter and tastes just as good.
Other Instant Pot Meals
How to make sausage and peppers recipe in Instant pot or pressure cooker?
- Turn on the “Saute” setting and brown sausages.
- Slice and keep aside.
- Saute onion and garlic.
- Mix in sliced sausages, tomatoes, peppers, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, water.
- Cover and “Seal.”
- Cook on “Manual.”
- Release pressure.
- Uncover, mix and you are done.
How do you make baked Italian sausage peppers and onions in the oven?
- In a large skillet or sheet pan, add sliced sausages, garlic, peppers, onions, herbs and seasoning.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, making sure to mix everything together, halfway through.
- Remove from oven and add 1 cup tomato sauce.
- Bake for another 5- 10 minutes and you are done.
What sides go well with this meal?
- Homemade bread
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic Bread
-Homemade or store-bought Italian seasoning can be used.
-Instead of Italian seasoning, you can use Mexican seasoning or Cajun seasoning for a different flavor profile.
-You can keep sausages whole but I recommend dicing them because they are easier to eat this way.
-Use any peppers of your choice. I like to use a combination of red, yellow and green peppers.
-Don’t use frozen peppers because they release a lot of water during cooking and makes the sauce very thin and watery.
-If the sauce is too thin, cook the sauce for longer on the “Saute” setting, until liquid is reduced to your desired consistency. I prefer it thick and not dripping everywhere.
-If the sauce is too thick, add a little broth or water to thin it out.
-Don’t cut the peppers and onions too thin because then, they will just dissolve into the sauce.
-Sausage, peppers and potatoes– Add 2 diced potatoes (medium size).
-Mix in some boiled pasta to make this an even more filling meal.
-Make sausage pepper sandwiches: Place provolone or mozzarella or any other cheese of your choice on 2 slices of thick crusty bread.
Then, bake for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted. Add the cooked sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoes on one slice. Finally, top off with more shredded cheese and cover with the other slice of bread and enjoy.
Other One Pot Sausage Recipes
- Crockpot Little Smokies Recipe (Cocktail Sausages)
- Oven Roasted Sausage and Vegetables (One Pan)
- One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 8-10 Italian sausages
- 1 Onion Medium, Cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 3 Peppers 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, Cut into thin slices
- 1 can Diced tomatoes 15 oz. can
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1/2 cup Water Or broth
Turn on Instant pot to the “Saute” setting and heat oil.
Add sausages and saute until golden brown.
Remove sausage to a cutting board and cut into thick slices. Keep aside.
Add onions, garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
Mix in sliced sausages, peppers, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper.
Pour water and mix everything together.
Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.”
Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 10 minutes.
When the cook time is over, turn the valve to “Venting” and let the pressure release.
Mix everything together gently. If the sauce is too thin, turn on the “Saute” setting and cook for 5-10 minutes until excess liquid evaporates and is reduced and the sauce becomes thick.
Garnish with fresh parsley, if you like and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!