Beet Borscht Soup (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy borscht recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 1 hour. Loaded with beets, cabbage, potatoes, meat broth. Also known as red beet soup,
Today’s recipe is loaded with healthy vegetables and heartiness, just like this Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe (One Pot). It’s the perfect comfort food on a cold Winter’s day.
Please note that this version is different than Polish white borscht. Even though they share a similar name, they have a different color and flavor because of the lack of beets.
What is borscht? What does it taste like? Is it Russian or Ukrainian?
It’s a hearty soup, known for its deep red color and has a sweet and tangy/ sour flavor. The sweetness comes from carrots as well as beets and the tanginess comes from vinegar, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
Based on my research, Ukraine is typically considered to be the place of origin. However, there appears to be Russian and Polish versions too.
How to make borscht soup?
- Prep pot– Heat butter and oil in a large pot.
- Add vegetables- This includes onions, carrots, garlic, celery cabbage, and beets. Saute until garlic is fragrant and veggies are partially softened.
- Mix in remaining ingredients– This includes broth, water, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, tomato paste, dill.
- Bring to boil– Then, lower heat and let it simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and vinegar- Mix and cook for a few more minutes.
- Enjoy– Discard bay leaf, garnish with fresh parsley or dill and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
What sides to serve with best cabbage borscht recipe?
Traditionally, this soup is served with pierogis that are filled with potatoes, cheese, vegetables, and/or meat.
As with any soup, serving a side to dip into it is
always comforting. Serve it with one of these side dishes:
- Garlic bread
- Crusty baguette
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Roast beef sandwich on rye bread
- Garden salad
How to peel and cut beets?
- Cut off the root end and with a sharp knife.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin.
- Place the beet flat side down on a cutting board and cut large slices.
- Then, dice each slice into smaller pieces. You can also use a cheese grater or food processor to grate them.
Vegetarian borscht– The recipe below is just that but you can also add more vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms, or even green beans.
Serve it cold– Make soup according to the recipe and then chill at least 4 hours or overnight in fridge. Top with garnishes and dig in.
Add beef – Add cooked cubed beef such as stew meat for an even heartier soup. You can also add sausages or even ground beef.
Add chicken– Mix in cooked shredded or cubed rotisserie chicken at the end.
Add bacon- Add bacon into the soup or on top as a garnish.
Topping and garnish options– Top with lemon wedges, chopped/sliced hard boiled egg, fresh herbs such as dill, basil, parsley, chives and sour cream.
Make it spicy- Add crushed red chili flakes, or cayenne pepper for some spice.
Make it creamy- Stir in half and half or heavy cream at the end.
Add cheese- Such as shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
Tips and Techniques
Wear disposable gloves– This is important when you are peeling and cutting beets because they tend to stain your fingers and nails.
Do beets stain? Yes, the beet juice will stain your hands, clothes and your work area and should be cleaned immediately with soap and water.
Make ahead instructions– Make this soup a day in advance and store in fridge. Then. reheat on stovetop or microwave, when you are ready to serve.
How to make soup thicker? Continue cooking without lid until liquid is reduced to your desired thickness. You can also puree some of the boiled potatoes and stir them it into the soup to thicken it.
How to make soup thinner? Add more broth or water.
What to do with leftovers? They can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Use low sodium ingredients- Because that prevents this meal from becoming too salty. This is especially with regards to butter and broth.
What beans to use? I recommend cannellini beans because they have a mild flavor and best texture for this recipe but red beans can be used instead too.
What kind of cabbage to use? I used regular green cabbage but you can also use red cabbage.
Adjust vinegar quantity– This is based on your preference. Adding more will obviously make soup more sour.
More One Pot Soup Recipes
- Carrot Ginger Soup (One Pot)
- Sweet Potato Soup (One Pot)
- Easy Lentil Soup (One Pot)
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot)
One Pot Beet Borscht Soup
Quick and easy borscht recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 1 hour. Loaded with beets, cabbage, potatoes, meat broth.
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Carrots Medium size, Peeled, Grated
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1/2 cup Celery Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cabbage head Small size, Washed, Patted dry, Thinly sliced or Shredded
- 3 Beets Medium size, Peeled, Finely chopped or Grated
- 4 cups Broth Beef or Chicken, Low sodium
- 3 Potatoes Medium size, Peeled, Diced into 2 inch pieces
- 5 cups Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste Or ketchup
- 1-2 tsp Dill Fresh or Dried, Optional
- 1 can Cannellini beans 15.5 oz. can, Drained and rinsed, Optional
- 1-2 tsp Vinegar
Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, carrots, garlic, celery cabbage, beets and saute for until garlic is fragrant and veggies are partially softened.
Add broth, water, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, tomato paste, dill and stir everything together.
Bring to a boil and then lower heat to Medium and let soup simmer uncovered until vegetables are all tender.
Add beans and vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Discard bay leaf.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with fresh parsley or dill. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Happy cooking everyone!