Sweet Potato Soup (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy, creamy, sweet potato soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Flavored with ginger, garlic, thyme and thickened with heavy cream.
This soup is the perfect and surprising addition to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It’s a non-traditional presentation of the expected sweet potato side dish.
This soup is creamy, healthy, flavorful, and is delicious enough for guests, and also easy enough to make during the week. It is the perfect soup to portion into mason jars for lunches at work too.
If you like this recipe, here are a few more soup recipes to get you through the colder months: Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot), Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (One Pot), Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (One Pot).
More sweet potato recipes
- Candied Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
- Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries (One Pan)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
How to make sweet potato soup?
- Prep pot– Heat butter in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute– Add onion, celery sand sauté until onions are tender.
- Saute again– Add garlic, ginger and saute until garlic is fragrant.
- Boil– Add sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, broth, maple syrup (optional) and mix until combined. Bring to a boil.
- Cook– Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Blend– Use a hand-held immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Mix– Add in heavy cream.
- Garnish– Add parsley. Enjoy!
What sides to serve with savory sweet potato soup recipe?
Allow the flavors of the soup to shine through by keeping the sides simple such as:
- Bread– Such as garlic bread, breadsticks, crusty hearty Ciabatta bread for dipping, homemade biscuits, corn bread, naan and even grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Salad– A simple green salad is the best choice or you can try this Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl).
- Crackers and croutons– Homemade or store-bought both work well. Use the seasoned ones for added flavor.
Curried sweet potato soup– Add 1-2 tsp curry powder as a seasoning for a delicious flavor twist.
Sweet potato carrot soup– Add 1 cup diced carrots or Oven Roasted Carrots along with the sweet potatoes.
Sweet potato lentil soup- Add lentils when you add the broth and follow the remainder of the recipe.
Chicken sweet potato soup– Add shredded or diced rotisserie chicken. You can also add other proteins such as sausage, ground beef, ham, bacon, or even black beans.
Add vegetables– Mix in other diced vegetables such as kale, spinach, butternut squash, pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli. A small bag of frozen veggies would be a great option too.
Make it creamy– Use heavy cream, or full-fat canned coconut milk for a vegan option. You can also soak and puree cashews and add that as a vegan heavy cream option.
Make it spicy– Add red chili paste for a spicy Thai twist. You can also add crushed red chili flakes or cayenne pepper for added heat.
Try other herbs and spices- Add Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, turmeric, or a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
Use Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes– Roasting them adds a lot of caramelization, which enhances the overall flavor of the soup.
Make it a chunky soup– Puree only half the soup and leave the remainder chunky.
Garnish and topping options– Top with toasted almonds, cashews, or walnuts. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Garnish with Parsley, cilantro, or jalapeno slices.
Tips and Techniques
Can you freeze this soup? Yes, it freezes well and can be reheated in the microwave or over stovetop.
How to store soup? How long is it good for? Store soup in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to thicken soup? Simmer without lid until some of the liquid is evaporated and soup is reduced and thickened.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add additional broth.
Adjust spices- This is based on your preference. Only ginger, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper were used to season this simple soup. Add more or less of whatever you like or dislike. You can also add a little nutmeg or cinnamon to bring out the sweetness even further. You can also use a seasoning blend, if you like.
Reduce saltiness– Use low sodium broth and unsalted butter
Can heavy cream be omitted? Yes, it can be omitted to make the soup healthier but it won’t be as creamy.
Heavy cream substitute– It can be replaced with coconut milk or half and half or even whole milk. You can also use a smaller quantity of heavy cream (rather than the full 3/4 cup).
How to cut sweet potatoes? Cut them in small 1 inch pieces so they cook fast.
Use nonstick pot– Because this prevents sticking and scorching.
More One Pot Soup Recipes
- Chicken Barley Soup (One Pot)
- Beef Noodle Soup (One Pot)
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup (One Pot)
- Chicken Vegetable Soup (One Pot)
- Creamy Tortellini Soup (One Pot)
- Vegetable Beef Soup (One Pot)
- One Pot Lasagna Soup
One Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Celery, Roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, Grated
- 3 Sweet potatoes, Large, Peeled, Cut into small 1 inch pieces
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 4-5 cups Broth, Low sodium, Vegetable or chicken
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup, Or honey, Optional
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Heavy cream, Or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Finely chopped, For garnish
- Heat butter in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery sand sauté for a few minutes minutes until onions are tender.
- Add garlic, ginger and saute for 1 more minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, broth, maple syrup (optional) and mix until combined.
- Bring to a boil.
- Then, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Mix in heavy cream. The quantity depends on your preference. Using the full 1 cup will make it super thick, rich and creamy.
- Garnish with parsley and sprinkle a little paprika. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
- To enhance the vibrant yellow color, add a little turmeric powder. A small quantity of about 1/4 tsp doesn’t alter the taste at all.
Happy cooking everyone!