Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy vegetable soup recipe made in one pot in less than 1 hour on stovetop, using simple ingredients. It’s healthy, packed with vegetables and Italian herbs and spices.
My mom has the most INCREDIBLE hearty vegetable soup recipe ever!
I have tried many other recipes in the past but nothing ever comes close to this family version.
Tips for healthy vegetable soup:
-Use low sodium broth because regular broth can make the soup very salty.
-Either vegetable brother or chicken broth can be used.
-The amount of herbs and spices can be adjusted, based on your preference.
-You can use any vegetables you like.
Flavor variations for the best vegetable soup recipe:
To make vegetable beef soup/ground beef vegetable soup, cook ground beef first and drain fat. Then, follow rest of the same steps.
To make chicken vegetable soup, add some shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken pieces in the soup at the end.
To make turkey vegetable soup, cook ground turkey first. Then, follow rest of the same steps.
To make vegetable noodle soup, add your choice of noodles when you add the potatoes until fully cooked.
To make spicy vegetable soup, add red chili flakes, some sliced jalapenos or green chilies and paprika powder, based on your spice level tolerance.
To make roasted vegetable soup, roast your choice of vegetables first and add use those in this soup.
To make crockpot vegetable soup/ slow cooker vegetable soup, add all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours.
To make creamy vegetable soup, add some heavy cream at the end.
To make vegetable barley soup, add 1/4 cup barley when you add the potatoes. Add some additional broth or water because barley absorbs a lot of liquid.
To make tomato vegetable soup, add more tomatoes and even some tomato paste in this recipe.
Vegetable soup seasoning
- Red chili flakes
Keep it simple and these can be used fresh or dry.
How to make vegetable soup? How do you make homemade vegetable soup?
- Heat oil .
- Saute onions, carrots, celery, ginger, garlic.
- Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes, seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Add green beans.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Add corn and peas and cook again and enjoy!
What vegetables to put in vegetable soup?
You can use any vegetables you like such as:
- Green beans
What are the ingredients for vegetable soup?
- Red chili flakes
- Green beans
What can I add to vegetable soup to make it better?
-Add heavy cream to make it super creamy and rich.
-Play around with different herbs and seasonings to change the flavor. A mediterranean or Chinese twist is great!
-Some people also like to add a bit of cooking sherry.
-Use flavored butter instead of oil to give it a deeper flavor profile.
-Use different seasonal vegetables of your choice.
What to serve with vegetable soup?
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Sandwiches (Grilled cheese sandwich is awesome!)
Other One Pot Soup Recipes:
- Tomato Tortellini Soup (One Pot)
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (One Pot)
Best Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, Medium size, finely chopped
- 4 Carrots, Long, peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 Celery sticks, Roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger, Finely minced
- 2.5 tbsp Garlic, Finely minced
- 4 cans Vegetable broth , Or chicken broth, Low sodium, 14.5 oz cans
- 2 cans Diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz cans
- 3 Potatoes, Medium size, Peeled, Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/3 cup Parsely, Fresh, Roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Thyme, Dried
- 1 tsp Oregano, Dried
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary, Dried
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- 3/4 cup Green beans, Frozen
- 1/4 cup Corn, Frozen
- 3/4 cup Peas, Frozen
- Add oil in a large nonstick pot and heat it over medium high heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery, ginger, garlic and saute everything until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt, pepper, red chili (optional).
- Bring to a boil.
- Then, add green beans and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes become tender.
- Add corn and peas and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!
This recipe is so easy to follow and a huge hit with the whole family!
You had me at easy!! Looks so flavorful too!
Yum, looks so simple and tasty!
Love easy, family friendly recipes! This looks perfect!
Soup never goes out of season at my house!
I love a good soup even in the Summer! Great to change things up!
I’m loving all these delicious ingredients!
Quick and simple. I really like the flavor (it is not too bland).
This has nothing to do with the recipe but we have the same name.
Tried it over the weekend. Family loved it.
Excellent recipe. Very flavorful with the seasonings. My husband loved it! Great served with a sandwich or just cornbread.
The seasonings really take a simple soup over the top. Happy to hear you guys enjoyed it.
I add frozen mixed vegetables chicken broth.
This broth tastes amazing! The seasonings really make the difference. Thank you for sharing!
So I just stared out cooking since I’m only 13, and I must say, this was the best recipe I’ve made so far! Everyone loved it. Vegetable soup was something we would always have when I was younger, and since we haven’t had it in years it was nice to being back the nice taste of home! Very nice recipe, definitely recommend.
I am so glad you made this recipe. It makes me so happy to see young cooks trying my recipes and getting involved in the the kitchen.
Delicious! The recipe is perfect the way it’s written. Easy and flavorful.
I am on a very specific diet and I need to know the portion size for this recipe please.
There are about 7 servings in this recipe.
I made this today. It was easy to make and delicious! I will make it again.
Excellent recipe! Just made it for dinner. The spices are perfect. THANKS!
Perfect soup for fall and winter. I didn’t change a thing.