Homemade Pizza Sauce (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best, classic, quick and easy pizza sauce recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 20 minutes. Loaded with tomatoes and Italian herbs.
Pizza is a go-to in our home, and today’s tomato sauce for pizza recipe makes for the quickest dinner! It’s a delicious basic base sauce that can be altered to your tastebuds. Make sure to add these other homemade Italian sauces to your menu too: Homemade Marinara Sauce (One Pot) and Best Chimichurri Sauce (Blender).
How to make best pizza sauce from scratch?
- Heat oil– Do this over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, basil, garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, pepper, red chili flakes– Mix until combined.
- Let it come to a boil– Then, reduce heat to “Low”.
- Simmer- Until sauce is thickened and enjoy.
What to do with homemade pizza sauce recipe?
The most obvious choice is to use it as a spread on pizzas. You can also spread it in sandwiches, burgers and wraps. It’s delicious in Grilled Cheese Sandwich (One Pan).
You can also enjoy it as a dip for garlic bread, mozzarella sticks, fried mushrooms, fried zucchini, fried ravioli, onion rings, mini meatballs.
You can even add leftovers in soups to add more flavor. Try it in this Lasagna Soup (One Pot).
Use it as a topping or filling in pasta, tortellini, ravioli, Stuffed Zucchini Boats (One Pan) or Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan), lasagna, meatloaf, calzones, ratatouille, eggplant parmesan, chicken parmesan.
Add pesto– Add this Basil Pesto Sauce (Blender) for a flavor twist on the classic sauce.
Add tomato paste– This helps to thicken the sauce, and adds a little more tang to the tomatoes.
Use fresh garlic– You can even use roasted garlic for more depth of flavor.
Use fresh herbs– This is a great way to use those garden herbs plus the appearance is better. I use dried herbs because I always have those on hand.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or even finely diced jalapenos.
Add cheese– Such as Parmesan, Romano, goat cheese, or mozzarella to make it rich and creamy.
Add other seasonings– Try Mexican, Cajun, or Greek Seasonings for a different flavor profile.
Add vegetables– Such as roasted red peppers, chunks of tomatoes, or mushrooms. Onions are my favorite addition. Saute or caramelize them in butter first, for more flavor.
Sweetener options– I like to use granulated sugar, but you can use honey or brown sugar, if you prefer.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– In a sealed container or freezer bag for up to 3 months
Reheat– In the microwave or on the stovetop.
Tips and Techniques
Pizza sauce vs. Marinara sauce/Spaghetti sauce- Marinara and spaghetti sauce can be used for pizza, if needed, but they will be runnier. The other sauce tends to be thicker but is still similar in taste.
Use a non-stick pot– To prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom and burning.
What if my sauce is too runny? How to thicken sauce? Continue simmering until it thickens to the desired consistency.
How to make sauce thinner? Mix in more broth or water.
Adjust quantity of herbs- Add more or less according to your preference.
Use high quality olive oil- The better the quality, the better the flavor.
Make a bigger batch– Just double the quantities of all the ingredients and you will end up with a big batch.
Fresh tomatoes vs. Canned tomato sauce– Either can be used. I like to use the canned version because it’s quick and convenient.
More One Pot Italian Meals
- Tomato Gnocchi Sauce (One Pot)
- Cheese Tortellini with Garlic Butter Sauce (One Pot)
- Italian Pot Roast (One Pot)
- One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Italian Wedding Soup (One Pot)
One Pot Pizza Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 can Tomato sauce , 15 oz. can
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/8 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- Heat oil in a medium sized nonstick pot over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, basil, garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, pepper, red chili flakes and mix until combined.
- Let it come to a boil.
- Then, reduce heat to "Low".
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes until sauce is thickened and reduced. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to