Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy homemade slow cooker minestrone soup recipe that makes a hearty weeknight meal. It’s loaded with Italian flavors, beans and vegetables.
This is the BEST slow cooker minestrone soup ever that every single person in my family approves and that doesn’t happen too often…hehe.
Now, I am NOT sure if this is an authentic Italian minestrone soup recipe but I do know that it has all the flavors of a great classic minestrone soup from one of my favorite restaurants in Canada.
This HEARTY minestrone soup recipe is loaded with vegetables and has so much flavor.
The LEFTOVERS are great for lunch the next day too, which is awesome!
Here are some TIPS for making this healthy slow cooker minestrone soup:
- DON’T add the pasta till the very end or else they would over-cook and become very soft.
- Beans and all the other vegetables should be added near the end to prevent them from over-cooking and becoming too soft.
- To make slow cooker minestrone soup with sausage, cook the sausage first and then add that into the minestrone soup.
- Instead of sausage, you can also add cooked ground beef or shredded chicken or ham pieces near the end to add more flavor.
- To make vegan slow cooker minestrone soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- DON’T replace dried beans with canned beans because they take very long to fully cook.
How long to cook minestrone soup in slow cooker?
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
How to make minestrone soup in slow cooker?
In a slow cooker, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parmesan cheese, vegetable broth, water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for a few hours. Then, add kidney beans, northern beans, zucchini and pasta and cook again until pasta is tender. Add spinach and green beans and cook for a few more minutes and enjoy!
What do you serve with minestrone soup?
Some good sides are:
- Dinner rolls
- Pull apart bread
- Garlic bread
How do you thicken minestrone soup?
You can add some cornstarch, if you like but typically, the starch from pasta helps to thicken it. You can also remove 1-2 cups of soup and use a food processor to puree it and add this thick mixture back into the soup to make it thicker.
Well, that’s all for today.
If you like this crockpot minestrone soup, you may like this tomato tortellini soup (one pot) too.
Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- 2 cans Diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz cans
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups Vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Carrots, Diced
- 1 cup Celery, Diced
- 1.5 cups Onion, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic , Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger, Minced
- 1 tsp Oregano, Dried
- 1 sprig Rosemary, Fresh
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper , To taste
- 1 can Red kidney beans, 15 oz can
- 1 can Northern beans, 15 oz can
- 1 cup Zucchini, Diced
- 1.5 cups Tubular pasta, E.g. Ditalini pasta
- 2 cups Spinach , Roughly chopped
- 1 cup Green beans, Frozen
- In a slow cooker, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parmesan cheese, vegetable broth, water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans and northern beans.
- Add the beans, zucchini, pasta and cook on high for an additional 20- 25 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Stir in the spinach, green beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes until cooked through. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!
This looks perfect for a rainy day like today! YUM!
What a delicious and easy way to make minestrone! Perfect for the random spring chilly days we are having here in CO!
One of my favorite soups of all time!
I love everything in this soup! Looks flavorful!
This is everything I could as for in a soup! So flavorful and comforting!
Looks delicious and so easy to make! !
What is the serving size?
There are 6 servings in this recipe.
Do you cook the pasta or just throw it in the crockpot? Thanks!
You just add the dry pasta and don’t need to cook it first.
What if I threw my beans and pasta in without reading it needed to be added later….😬 please tell me it’s going to be fine? I’m so nervous now! Haha
Oh my! I think the pasta would become over-cooked. How did it turn out for you?
I just signed up on your recipe site. I’m going to make the Minestrone Soup. the fresh herbs that are used, 1 sprig Rosemary, Fresh. How do I keep the leftover Rosemary and other fresh herbs that call for 1 TBSP etc ?
Hi Ben! I usually chop up my leftover fresh herbs and put them in an ice cube tray. Then, I pour olive oil over them and freeze. Any time I need some fresh herbs in cooking, I take one cube out and use that. Hope this helps.