Creamy Spinach Pasta (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy one pot spinach pasta recipe, made on stovetop, loaded with creamy ricotta cheese sauce. This 30 minute meal requires simple ingredients.
How do you make spinach pasta?
- Boil pasta and keep aside.
- In the same pot, heat oil and saute ginger and garlic.
- Add ricotta cheese, milk, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and cook until thick.
- Mix in spinach.
- Toss boiled pasta in this sauce.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Tips for easy spinach pasta recipe:
- Use full fat milk and ricotta cheese for maximum creaminess.
- Fresh spinach can be used but frozen is so much easier.
- Frozen spinach must be thawed and excess liquid must be drained to prevent the sauce from becoming too thin.
- The amount of Italian seasoning can be adjusted, based on your preference.
- If the sauce is too thick, thin it by adding some milk. If the sauce is too thin, thicken it by cooking it (without lid) for longer so as to reduce the liquid.
Is spinach pasta healthy?
That depends on the ingredients you are using. You can use low fat ricotta cheese, low fat milk and whole grain pasta to make this meal healthier.
How do you make creamy spinach pasta?
Use cream cheese or ricotta cheese. Make sure it’s full fat for maximum creaminess.
Do you cook spinach before putting it in pasta?
No, you will use frozen spinach but make sure to drain it to remove excess water.
Spinach pasta sauce
- Heat oil and saute ginger, garlic until fragrant.
- Add milk, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and mix.
- Cook on medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Add drained frozen spinach and mix until combined.
Chicken Spinach Pasta
Mix in 1 cup cooked chicken cubes or shredded chicken into the pasta. I use rotisserie chicken.
Other variations for pasta with spinach:
- Shrimp Spinach Pasta– Mix in 1 cup cooked shrimps into the pasta.
- Mushroom Spinach Pasta– Mix in 1 cup sauted mushrooms in this pasta.
- Bacon Spinach Pasta– Top off the pasta with cooked bacon crumbles at the very end, prior to serving.
- Sausage Spinach Pasta– Mix in 1 cup cooked sausage in this pasta.
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta– Mix in 1 cup cooked artichokes in this pasta.
- Spinach Pesto Pasta– Mix in 1/4 cup pesto sauce in this pasta.
- Creamy Spinach Tomato Pasta– Mix in 1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half) in this pasta.
Other One Pot Pasta Recipes:
One Pot Spinach Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 pound Spaghetti, Or alfredo pasta
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, Finely minced
- 1/2 cup Milk, Whole or 2%
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese, Full fat
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 pound Spinach, Frozen but drained of excess liquid
- Boil spaghetti as per box instructions. Drain and keep aside.
- In the same nonstick pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add milk, ricotta cheese and mix.
- Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and mix again.
- Lower the heat and let this cheese sauce cook until sauce thickens to your desired consistency.
- Add the spinach to this ricotta cheese sauce and mix.
- Turn off the heat and add the cooked pasta and toss to fully coat it.
- If the sauce looks too thick, add some more milk to thin it out. Enjoy!
Happy cooking everyone!