Best Shakshuka Eggs (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy shakshuka eggs with feta recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop in 30 minutes. Eggs are gently poached in a spiced Mediterranean tomato sauce.
This dish is so full of flavor that although it is traditionally a breakfast dish, you will crave it any time of the day. The eggs can be cooked to your desired liking, and taste so much better bathed in the layers of tomato and spices than any other preparation of eggs I have ever had. For more egg based dishes make sure to try my BEST Egg Salad (One Pot) and Easy Egg Salad Sandwich (One Pan).
What is shakshuka?
It is a classic North African and Middle Eastern dish traditionally served at breakfast, but can be eaten at any time of the day. It is made of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes and pepper and onions, and spices such as cumin and chili powder.
How to make easy shakshuka recipe from scratch?
- Saute aromatics– Including onions, peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Add tomatoes– Crush them.
- Season– With paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook uncovered– Until half the liquid is reduced.
- Make 5-6 wells– Crack eggs into them.
- Add feta cheese– Over the eggs.
- Cover and cook– Until the eggs are set.
- Garnish– With parsley and cilantro.
- Serve- With pita bread. Enjoy.
What to serve alongside best shakshuka eggs with feta?
- Bread– Such as pita, naan, roti, biscuits, rolls, English muffins, or French bread.
- Rice– Such as Garlic Rice (One Pot) or your favorite white rice.
- Salad– Like this Easy Green Salad (One Bowl), Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl), or this Harvest Fall Salad (One Bowl).
- Eggs– You’ll need 5-6 large eggs.
- Tomatoes– I recommend 1 can of whole and peeled tomatoes.
- Cheese– Feta is best.
- Spices and seasoning– Cumin, chili powder, and coriander among others.
Use unique eggs– Such as quail eggs or duck eggs.
Add some harissa sauce– This is a chili sauce or paste made of dry red chiles, citrus, garlic, and olive oil. It adds so much depth of flavor.
Add other spices– Such as turmeric, basil, or cinnamon.
Try other cheeses– Such as goat or Gorgonzola.
More topping options– Like sliced avocados, micro greens, other herbs like mint, more feta cheese, arugula, or kale.
Make it vegan– By replacing eggs with chickpeas, beans, or tofu.
Add meat– Such as shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, or shredded lamb.
Bake it in the oven– Instead of making it on the stovetop, use an oven-safe pan like a cast-iron skillet.
Add other veggies– Such as eggplant, carrots, or spinach.
Make it spicy– I didn’t add any red chili flakes but you can easily give it a little kick with that or jalapeños.
Tips and techniques
Cooking time for eggs will vary– Because this is based on your preference and how runny you like your yolks.
Make sure to cook down the tomato sauce before adding the eggs– Because otherwise the end result is very watery.
Crush tomatoes– With a large spoon.
Add more or less feta– Based on your preference. My family isn’t very fond of it so I did not use too much.
Use a non-stick pan– To prevent the dish from sticking and burning on the bottom.
Make wells in the sauce– So that the eggs will stay together and cook.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing this because of the eggs in it.
Reheat– In the microwave.
More one pot vegetarian recipes
- Vegetarian Chili (One Pot)
- Potato Fritters/ Aloo Pakora (One Pot)
- Zucchini Noodles With Pesto (One Pot)
- Onion Fritters/ Pakora (One Pot)
- Easy Yellow Squash Casserole (One Pot)
One Pot Shakshuka Eggs With Feta
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1 cup Bell peppers, Any color of your choice, Finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, Finely minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, Freshly grated
- 1 can Whole peeled tomatoes, 28 oz. can
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 5-6 Eggs, Large
- 1-2 tbsp Crumbled feta cheese, I didn't add a lot since some family members are not too fond of it.
- 1 tbsp Parsley , Finely chopped, For topping
- 1 tbsp Cilantro , Finely chopped, For topping, Can be replaced with mint leaves
- Add oil in a large nonstick pot or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic, ginger and saute for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes and crush them with a large spoon.
- Season with paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Cook uncovered until half the liquid is reduced.
- Make 5-6 wells and crack the eggs in these holes.
- Toss some crumbled feta cheese over the eggs.
- Cover and cook until the eggs are set. This takes 5 to 8 minutes and the timing depends on how runny you like your egg yolks.
- Garnish with parsley and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with pita bread and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.