Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Instant pot shredded chicken recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Super juicy and flavorful. No more dry chicken ever again!
This is one of the best ways to enjoy chicken. You can use this meat in a hundred different ways so that you don’t have to cook a full meal every night of the week. This means less spending money on take-out, and more time with family! This Mexican Shredded Chicken (One Pot) and Instant Pot Shredded Beef are also excellent options for making weeknight dinners or work lunches easier on yourself.
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe From Scratch?
- Add ingredients in pressure cooker-This includes chicken, broth. salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, red chili flakes.
- Mix- Until combined.
- Cover- And cook.
- Release pressure– Do this naturally for 10 minutes and then, do quick pressure release.
- Shred meat- With 2 forks.
What To Make With Easy Shredded Chicken?
Pizza– Top pizza or flatbread with shredded meat.
Tacos– Use the meat from this recipe to make these Shredded Chicken Tacos (One Pot).
Chicken sandwich– Choose your favorite sandwich bread and load it up with this meat. Add toppings like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, or whatever else you prefer. Eat the bread cold, or heat it up.
Quesadillas– Use this meat in Chicken Quesadillas (One Pan) or add it to these Vegetarian Quesadillas (One Pan) for a very filling and protein packed option. Obviously, the latter would no longer be vegetarian, but it would be delicious.
Wraps– Use this meat in a buffalo chicken wrap, or with lettuce, onion, and tomato. The options are endless.
Stuffed potatoes– Use this meat in Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan) or in regular baked potatoes.
Chicken salad– Make a quick Cranberry Chicken Salad (One Pot) using this shredded meat!
What Type of Chicken Is Best For Shredding?
I use chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use chicken thighs too. They are a cheaper option.
How Do You Shred Chicken?
There are 2 different methods:
- Forks: Use 2 forks to pull apart the chicken.
- Stand mixer: Put the meat in stand mixer and shred with the paddle attachment.
Variations For Pulled Chicken
Cajun chicken– Add creole or cajun seasoning, onions, and green peppers.
Mexican chicken– Add Mexican or taco seasoning, onions, cilantro, and lime.
Greek chicken– Add Greek seasoning and serve with Tzatziki Sauce (One Bowl), cucumbers, and tomatoes in a pita.
Curry chicken– Add curry seasoning and your favorite Indian sauce and serve it over rice.
Asian Chicken– Add soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh ginger, garlic, and a little sriracha and serve with rice.
Make it spicy– Add the red chili flakes, or even green chilies to the chicken.
Add onions– This will add lots of flavor.
BBQ chicken– Add BBQ sauce for pulled chicken sandwiches.
Tips And Techniques
Why is my chicken dry? There was probably not enough liquid in the pressure cooker to keep the meat moist and juicy.
Release the pressure naturally first– This is important because it allows the chicken to fully cook and become pull- apart tender.
Use 2.5 cups low sodium broth– This ensures that the pressure cooker can come all the way up to the proper pressure and maintain juicy chicken. The broth also adds so much more flavor than just water. It also prevents the chicken from becoming too salty.
Can I put frozen chicken in the Instant Pot? Yes, you will just need to adjust the cooking time to 17 minutes, as opposed to 13 minutes for thawed chicken breasts.
What to do with juice/broth left in the pressure cooker? Don’t discard it because it keeps the chicken most and juicy. However, you can remove the broth and store it in the fridge and use it later for soups or other recipes.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– In a sealed container for up to 2 months.
Reheat– From thawed, in the microwave or on the stovetop with a bit of broth to keep it juicy.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Flank Steak Tacos
- Instant Pot Lamb Shanks
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
- Instant Pot Beef Curry (Indian)
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds Chicken breasts, Boneless, Fresh or Frozen
- 2.5 cups Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- Place the chicken breasts in a pressure cooker.
- Pour broth.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, red chili flakes.
- Mix until combined.
- Put the lid on and turn the the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 17 minutes if you are using frozen chicken breasts OR set the timer for 13 minutes if you are using thawed chicken breasts.
- When the cook time is over, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, do quick pressure release to remove remaining pressure.
- Turn off the pressure cooker and remove lid.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and mix to combine with all the broth and juices.
- There will be a good amount of juice and broth. I don't discard it because it keeps the chicken most and juicy. However, you can remove the broth and store it in the fridge and use it later for soups or other recipes. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.