BEST Egg Salad (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Best, quick, easy egg salad recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 10 minutes. Hard boiled eggs are coated in a creamy dressing of mayo, mustard, dill, chives and green onions. Great way to use up leftover eggs from Easter.
This is a super easy side dish to add to a meal or bring to a pot luck. I especially find it super helpful around the Easter season when there are a lot of colored eggs that have just been hanging out in my fridge for a day or two. However, it’s also easy to just whip this recipe up with new boiled eggs as well. The Avocado Egg Salad is also ao go-to for times like these.
How to make easy egg salad recipe from scratch?
- Whisk- Together mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in– Roughly chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, dill, and green onions.
- Enjoy– On top of toast or crackers.
Boiled egg salad dressing
Making the actual salad dressing for your chopped eggs is simple and uses ingredients you likely already have at your house. All you need to do is mix the following ingredients together:
- Mayonnaise- Make sure that you use the full fat to get the most flavor.
- Lemon juice- You can add 2 tsp if you prefer your salad on the tangier side.
- Dijon mustard– I like this brand from Amazon because it has great taste.
- Paprika- This adds a great color as well as a nice, subtle flavor.
- Garlic powder- Be sure you use garlic powder and not garlic salt or else your dressing will be too salty.
- Salt- Add just enough to your personal preference.
- Pepper- If you like it a bit spicier, add in more.
Why does egg salad get watery overnight? How to prevent this from happening?
Be sure not to use too much mayo or mustard, because this may contribute to your dressing being too runny. It is typical to get a little watery in the fridge overnight due to various reasons, such as the dehydrating properties of salt. In order to fix this soggy mess, you can add in another boiled egg or some fine bread crumbs to soak up that moisture.
How to make hardboiled eggs?
There are a few different ways to make good hardboiled eggs.
Stove- Place eggs in shell into a pot big enough for all the eggs to sit on the same level across the bottom of the pan. Pour water over the eggs until the water almost covers the tops. I like to add a bit of lemon juice to help soften the shells so they are easier to peel after they are cooked. Then turn your stove top on and wait till the water boils. Once boiling, time your eggs for 10-15 minutes, depending on whether you like the yolks softer or harder. Run under cold water before peeling.
Instant Pot- Place the egg or steam rack at the bottom of the pot and add 1 cup of water. Place eggs on the rack, seal, and cook on high for five minutes. Do a quick pressure release and then run eggs under cold water before peeling. This method is quite easy and I’ve noticed the eggs are easier to peel.
What to serve with simple deviled egg salad?
The best way to serve this dish is on toast or crackers. To make it a full meal, you can add a nice soup or vegetable. Some soups that may pair well include Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot), Chicken Corn Soup (One Pot), Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe (One Pot), or Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (One Pot). You can also add a green salad, such as Apple Salad (One Pot), Best Summer Salad (One Bowl), or Easy Green Salad (One Bowl). Crispy Zucchini Fries (One Pan), Oven Roasted Beets (One Bowl), or a side of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with your favorite veggies make great additions as well.
Variations for egg sandwich spread
Add other herbs– You can have fun with this and add in other herbs, such as Rosemary, Basil, Parsley, chives, or green onions.
Deviled potato egg salad– Boil 5-6 potatoes, cut into small chunks, and add into the salad dressing recipe listed. Top with chopped or sliced eggs.
Curried egg salad– Add curry to the egg salad and give it a whole new flavor!
Salad with relish– Add in some relish for a sweet, tangy addition.
Salad with pickles– Chopping up pickles and tossing them into this will give a slight crunch and a nice tang.
Salad without mayo– Use a mayonnaise substitute such as full fat thick greek yogurt or sour cream. Even hummus or mashed chickpeas will work, but the flavor will change based on your choice.
Tips and techniques
- Use full fat mayo– Because it will add texture and flavor you just can’t get from the fat free kind.
- How to thicken egg salad? How to make it thinner?– You can thicken the egg salad by adding fine bread crumbs or an extra boiled egg. Thin it with more mayo or mustard. Just don’t go overboard!
- Adjust quantities of herbs and seasonings- Such as the green onion, salt, pepper, and garlic to your liking
- Don’t mash the eggs- You want to have small chunks of egg rather than an egg mush, so don’t chop them into tiny little pieces or mash them when you are preparing it.
- Make it quicker- By purchasing pre-boiled eggs already packaged and ready to use from the super market.
Fridge- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Do not let it sit in the fridge for a week.
Freezer- Do not freeze, because dairy products and eggs change texture and cannot be reheated well.
More one pot creamy salad recipes
- Creamy Coleslaw (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cranberry Salad (Cranberry Fluff)
- Creamy Pea Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cucumber Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Grape Salad (One Bowl)
One Pot Egg Salad
Egg salad dressing
- 8 Hard boiled eggs, Large, Cooled, Peeled, Roughly chopped, Easter leftovers work great
- 2 tbsp Celery, Finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Dill, Fresh, Finely chopped, Can be replaced with chives if you don't like dill, Adjust quantity according to your preference
- 1-2 tbsp Green onions, Fresh, Finely chopped, Adjust quantity according to your preference
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the roughly chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, dill, green onions until evenly combined.
- Enjoy on top of toast or crackers.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.