Green Beans with Bacon (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy green beans with bacon recipe, made with simple ingredients in one pot/ pan on stovetop. A 30 minute side dish, loaded with garlic and Italian flavors.
This is one of the many ways in which my family cooks green beans. It’s really filling and makes a great side dish. It’s just as good as my Oven Roasted Green Beans (One Pan) and Sauteed Green Beans (One Pot).
Other green bean recipes with bacon variations
- Bacon wrapped green bean bundles
- Bacon wrapped green beans
- Green bean casserole with bacon
I am working on getting all of these variations shared here too in the upcoming weeks.
Tips and techniques
- I highly recommend using fresh green beans but frozen can be used too. I don’t recommend canned beans because they don’t taste as good and they are a little watery. Please remember that if your frozen beans are already steamed, they will cook quicker.
- Adjust the amount of Italian seasoning, based on your preference.
- Adjust the amount bacon, based on your preference.
- Instead of regular bacon, turkey bacon or veggie bacon can be used. However, they are not as greasy and more oil or butter would be required.
- Don’t throw away the bacon grease because it can add so much flavor to the final dish, when you saute the beans in it.
- Do not use garlic powder because fresh garlic has a more powerful fragrance and flavor.
- Use unsalted butter to because that prevents this recipe from becoming too salty.
- You can use only oil too. However, butter adds some flavor as well.
- Add some little red chili flakes for a spicy kick.
- If you don’t want to cook bacon, saute the green beans with onion and garlic first and then, mix it together with cooked bacon bits.
This green bean and bacon recipe is the best!
How to cook fresh green beans with bacon- Southern style?
- Heat oil and butter.
- Add bacon, garlic onion and cook until bacon is crisp.
- Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Add green beans, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Mix in the bacon mixture and you are done.
Can you put raw bacon in green beans?
You cannot mix raw bacon with cooked beans but if the beans are also uncooked, you can cook the bacon and beans together.
- Brown sugar– Add 1 tbsp to give it a sweet and salty flavor.
- Onions or shallots– I think even a little amount adds a lot of flavor.
- Garlic– Use fresh garlic and not garlic powder for maximum flavor.
- Vinegar– Gives a subtle tangy flavor.
- Almonds- Gives a little crunch. Any other nut can be used too. Make sure they are chopped into small pieces so you can enjoy them in each bite.
- Mushrooms– Makes them even more filling. Use small sliced mushrooms.
Canned green beans with bacon vs. Fresh green beans with bacon vs. Frozen green beans
Fresh is always best and my first recommendation, followed by frozen. Don’t use canned beans because they are too watery and the overall dish can become soggy, while cooking.
Other one pot bacon recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies (One Pan)
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta (One Pot)
- Bacon Pasta (One Pot)
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon (One Pot)
One Pot Green Beans with Bacon Recipe
- Add onion, garlic and bacon and saute until bacon is crisp. You can also add the garlic when bacon is almost cooked to prevent it from over-browning.
- Remove from pan and keep aside.
- In the same grease, add green beans, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and saute for 8-10 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Mix in the bacon mixture and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served fresh but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Happy cooking everyone!