Fried Cabbage with Bacon (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy fried cabbage recipe with bacon, made with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop. This 30 minute Southern side dish is popular on St.Patrick’s Day.
Since you guys loved my one pot bacon pasta, I think you would also love this one pot fried cabbage with bacon recipe too.
Fried cabbage recipes
There are many variations of this recipe. Some people make it with potatoes. Other make it with chicken or bacon or sausages. There are also some people who make it without any meat, whatsoever.
Also, some people prefer their cabbage to retain its firm texture but others like to pan-fry it for longer and make it softer.
Cabbage stir fry/ Stir fry cabbage
It’s quick, easy, ready in less than 30 minutes with minimal mess and requires just one pot/pan.
Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
Instead of bacon, cook 1 cup some small boneless chicken breast pieces and use that in this recipe.
Fried cabbage and sausage
Instead of bacon, cook 1 cup sliced sausages and use that in this recipe.
Fried cabbage and potatoes
Stir fry small cubes of potatoes with some salt and pepper and mix that into the cabbage at the end.
Fried cabbage without bacon
Omit the bacon and use 4-5 tbsp unsalted butter to counter the lack of bacon grease.
How to make fried cabbage?
- Cook the bacon and keep it aside.
- In the same pot and the same bacon grease, add the cabbage and spices and cook until tender.
- Mix in the cooked bacon and you are done.
What is fried cabbage?
Fried cabbage is a side dish that is typically served on St.Patrick’s Day with corned beef.
How do you pan fry cabbage on the stove? How to fry cabbage?
The best method is “pan-frying” so that it does not become too greasy.
- Heat oil or butter butter in a large nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- Then, add shredded cabbage, salt, pepper.
- Saute for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- If you like, you can mix in cooked bacon, chicken, sausage and you are done.
Tips for Southern fried cabbage:
- Any type of bacon can be used in this recipe- regular, turkey or even vegan.
- If you are using turkey bacon or vegan bacon, just remember they are not very oily and additional oil must be added.
- Instead of bacon, sausage can be used as well.
- Use a non-stick pan to prevent sticking and burning.
- Be sure to finely chop your onions because no one likes big chunks of onions and they will also blend together much better with the cabbage.
- Don’t discard the bacon drippings! It adds so much flavor in this recipe.
- Some people discard a bit of the drippings to prevent this cabbage recipe from becoming “too greasy.”
- Don’t over-cook the cabbage because it will become too soft and limp. You want the cabbage to retain some of its firmness.
- Brown sugar is optional. It just adds a subtle sweetness.
Other One Pot Side Dishes:
- Oven Roasted Asparagus (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Broccoli (One Pan)
- Quick Oven Roasted Tomatoes (One Pan)
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (One Pot)
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 5-6 Bacon strips, Thick, Cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1/2 head Green cabbage, Roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar, Optional
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- Remove the bacon and place it on plate but do not discard the bacon grease and drippings!
- In the same pan, add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add cabbage, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and mix everything together. Cook for about 7 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add bacon back into the pan and mix everything together.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served fresh but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Happy cooking everyone!