Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy instant pot peanut butter chicken recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Loaded with creamy, nutty, sweet, and spicy sauce.
This has lately been my favorite meal. It’s so flavorful and great for peanut lovers.
How to make peanut butter chicken (peanut sauce chicken)?
- Heat oil in Instant pot.
- Add chicken, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha sauce, honey, garlic powder, ginger powder, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook.
- Release pressure.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, and peanuts.
What sides to serve with Thai/ Chinese peanut butter chicken recipe?
Rice– With any chicken dish, rice always serves as a complimentary side dish that is simple yet filling, and allows you to fully taste the flavors of the peanut butter chicken without having any other flavor overpower each other. You can serve boiled jasmine/basmati rice, or even Pineapple Rice and Cilantro Lime Rice. However, I would not recommend stir fried rice with this recipe because the flavors will not complement each other.
Quinoa– If you want to make this dish healthier, you can also substitute the rice with quinoa
Roasted vegetables– Roasted vegetables are always a classic for side dishes with chicken. Here are some of my favorite ones enjoyed by my family and I, but you can obviously use vegetable choices that you and your family love: Oven Roasted Carrots, and Oven Roasted Asparagus.
Salads– The best choice for a salad side dish would be a traditional green salad.
Noodles– You can pair this with your favorite noodles, or even zoodles! (zucchini noodles)
Spaghetti Squash– If you’re looking for another low carb choice for a side dish, you can always make spaghetti squash in the instant pot for a quick side.
crockpot/ slow cooker, curry, sticky, make it on stovetop as chicken stir fry.
Use different nut butters and nuts– Feel free to always add your own blend to this dish! You can use any choice of your favorite nut butters, or even nuts! For instance, if you want to make this dish a bit more sweet, you can always substitute the peanuts with honey-roasted peanuts. If you want to use a healthier choice of peanut butter, you can always use a low fat peanut butter. Give almond butter a shot!
Make it spicy– Despite the sweet, peanut butter flavor of this dish, you can always more spice to it by adding in more amounts of sriracha hot sauce, adding chili peppers, or even sprinkling some red chili powder on top!
Frozen vegetables– mix in 1 cup frozen vegetables to make this meal even more hearty.
Use other sources of protein– You can always substitute the chicken for other sources of protein. You can always serve this recipe with beef, shrimp, or any other protein food that you prefer!
Add sesame seeds– You can always add an extra dose of crunch by sprinkling some sesame seeds on top of the chicken.
What cut of chicken to use?– You can always use different parts of a chicken to make this dish more enjoyable for you and your family. Whether they be drumsticks, thighs, breast, or even the wings, they all will work well. The wings will also serve as an excellent appetizer. You can either coat the chicken slices in peanut butter chicken sauce, or marinade. (Note that you can serve the chicken both baked and/or fried!)
Use tofu– If you would like to create a vegetarian meal, you can always substitute the chicken with tofu, however, do not pair the two ingredients together.
Tips and Techniques
Use low sodium broth and unsalted butter– Both of these ingredients combined make the recipe less salty.
What cut of chicken to use?– If you use chicken breasts, you can cut them into 1 inch cubes. Otherwise, you can use the thighs, drumsticks, and whole.
Adjust the sweetness– adjusting the sweetness can be done to your taste. You can either add more peanut butter, or more honey to further intensify the sweetness.
Finely chopped garnishes– there are a number of different garnishes you can add to this dish. You can either sprinkle some of your favorite nuts on top, seeds, or even garnish with some cilantro, green onions, or parsley.
Use both butter and oil– Using these together will give the best overall flavor of the dish.
Serving sizes– Whether it’s a dinner for two, a family dinner, or a banquet, this recipe is extremely accommodating to different sizes that you wish to serve. Double the recipe to serve a crowd.
More One Pot Chicken Recipes
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken (One Pot)
- Honey Sesame Chicken (One Pot)
- Black Pepper Chicken (One Pot)
- Thai Peanut Noodles (One Pot)
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 pounds Chicken breast, Cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter, Unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce, Low sodium
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 2-3 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2 tbsp Green onions, Finely chopped, For garnish
- 1-2 tbsp Peanuts, Roasted, Roughly chopped, For garnish
- Turn Instant pot to “Saute”mode and heat oil.
- Add chicken, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha sauce, honey, garlic powder, ginger powder, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and mix everything together.
- Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 9 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, turn the valve to “Venting” and do a quick pressure release.
- Remove lid and stir everything together.
- Cook, uncovered, on “Saute” mode for a little longer, to reduce liquid and make the sauce thicker.
- Garnish with green onions and chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!