Sweet and Spicy Chicken (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy sweet and spicy chicken recipe, made with simple ingredients over stovetop in 30 minutes. Tender chicken pieces are coated in a sticky sauce.
There is no frying in this hot and spicy chicken, which is inspired by Chinese flavors. That means clean up is easy and it’s also healthier than the classic version! My family loves this meal just as much as my Cashew Chicken (One pot).
Other One Pot Spicy Chicken Recipes
How to make homemade sweet and spicy chicken from scratch?
- Saute chicken until golden brown.
- Add onion, garlic, green peppers, onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Mix in soy sauce, sriracha sauce, broth, sugar, salt, pepper, red chili flakes.
- Cook uncovered until sauce thickens to your desired consistency.
- Garnish and enjoy.
What to serve with sweet and spicy chicken?
Rice– Boiled jasmine rice is a great option and my personal favorite
Fried rice– Vegetable fried rice is delicious or even cauliflower fried rice.
Quinoa– A healthy alternative.
Noodles– Egg noodles and spaghetti taste awesome.
Zoodles or zucchini noodles– Another healthy alternative.
Instant pot spaghetti squash– This is another low carb, healthy alternative to pasta.
Bread– Make a sandwich but be sure to use a thick crusty bread so that it can absorb the sauce without becoming soggy.
Tips and techniques
-Use nonstick pan or pot– Because this prevents burning and sticking.
-Adjust the heat– This can be done, based on your preference by tweaking the amounts of sriracha sauce, black pepper and red chili flakes.
-Adjust the sweetness– This can be done, based on your preference too by tweaking the amount of brown sugar and pineapples.
-Add frozen vegetables– I only used onions and green peppers but use whatever frozen vegetables you like. Some popular choices are: broccoli, snap peas, carrots, green peppers and onions. Add them in the last 5-7 minutes until they are crisp but tender. Adding them near the end prevents the veggies from becoming over-cooked soft and mushy.
-Fresh vs. canned pineapples– Either can be used and it’s a personal choice.
-Garnish options– Red chili flakes, roasted sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro, green chilies.
-Use low sodium soy sauce and broth– Because this prevents the meal from becoming too salty.
-Use dissolved cornstarch– Mix it with some water and then add it in with the other ingredients because this prevents little lumps from forming in the sauce.
-Thickening the sauce – Cornstarch is a key ingredient for thickening the sauce and don’t omit it! You can also thicken the sauce further by cooking it uncovered, on medium heat for a few additional minutes until excess liquid evaporates.
-What part of chicken to use? I used boneless chicken breast cubes but whole chicken breasts or thighs or even drumsticks can be used.
-Make chicken crispy– Coat chicken in some flour and stir fry it first. Keep aside. Then, prepare the sauce and coat the chicken pieces in this sauce. However, I feel like this is an unnecessary step and chicken in the leftovers becomes soggy and disgusting.
-Pineapple can be omitted- They help cut the spice factor in this recipe but if you can handle the heat, omit it.
One Pot Sweet and Spicy Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1.5 pounds Chicken breast, Cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/2 cup Onion, Cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 1/2 cup Green peppers, Cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 1/2 cup Pineapples, Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce, Low sodium
- 1-2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth, Low Sodium
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 tsp Cornstarch, Dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and saute until golden brown.
- Add garlic, onions, green pepper, pineapples and cook for a few minutes until the pepper and pineapples are tender.
- Add soy sauce, sriracha sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, salt, pepper, red chili flakes. Mix and cook uncovered for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in dissolved cornstarch.
- Cook uncovered until sauce thickens and liquid is reduced and sticky.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions or finely chopped green chilies or red chili flakes. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!