Stuffed Mini Peppers (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy stuffed mini peppers recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 20 mins. These sweet peppers or mini bell peppers are filled with cream cheese mixture. No baking and no cooking necessary!
Oh my goodness these are so yummy and so easy. My kids love mini peppers and these make them fancy for any side dish pot luck or snack at home. Stuffed Bell Peppers and my Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers and pepper steak. All great way to use peppers in a meal.
How to make stuffed mini peppers with cream cheese recipe from scratch?
- Mix- Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper in a bowl.
- Spread– Cheese mixture into halved mini peppers.
Should peppers be precooked before stuffing?
No, this isn’t necessary, because then they would become limp and difficult to hold or enjoy as a bite-sized appetizer treat.
How do you make stuffed peppers not soggy?
Don’t worry about precooking the peppers before stuffing them or else they will be limp. This isn’t what you want! These peppers are different than the typical cooked peppers you may be used to. They should be crispy, crunchy, and fresh. Also, after washing the peppers, be sure to pat them dry.
What can I stuff little peppers with?
- Other cheeses- Goat cheese is a great option as well as mozzarella, white Queso, or a Mexican blend.
- Chicken- If you are looking to add some protein and have some leftover Shredded Chicken, this would be a great addition to this appetizer.
- Beef- You can use shredded or ground beef, but I like to use my leftover Mexican Ground Beef Taco Meat to make this an extra quick and protein friendly snack.
- Sausage- I love the classic combination of sausage and peppers! If you do, too, check out my yummy Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers dish for an easy meal.
- Other sauces- Such as mayo, ranch dressing, or sour cream. Go ahead and experiment!
Variations for cheese filled mini sweet peppers
Try other cheeses- Like goat cheese, mozzarella, Ricotta or Cottage Cheese, or Pepper Jack.
Add Italian sausage- Use leftovers or quickly brown some dice in pieces to add to the pepper boats.
Add ground beef- Adding in a protein is great, especially when you can use some leftover meat from a previous meal, like the Ground Beef Tacos.
Bake it/ broil it- Although I didn’t do this in the original recipe, there is an option in the recipe card to do this. It is a great option, too, because it melts the cheese and gives a new roasted flavor.
Consider adding other fresh herbs- Such as Basil, Rosemary, Green Onions, Cilantro for a slightly different flavor and appearance.
Add some mayo- To add a creamy, tangy flavor in the background.
Add some ranch sauce- To add different spice and flavor to the dish. It is usually something you have on hand and often goes with many fresh vegetables.
Make it Mexican fiesta style – With beans, jalepenos, corn, and a Mexican cheese blend that will have your mouth at a first in no time!
Make it vegan or vegetarian- Instead of using cream cheese or cheddar cheese simply use your favorite vegan substitution and enjoy!
Tips and techniques for creamy mini bell peppers appetizer
Remove seeds from mini peppers- Because the seeds are bitter and will only detract from the texture and flavor.
Cut lengthwise- Because it is more appealing to the eye and has a better ratio of pepper to stuffing.
Use fresh, firm peppers- Because if they are limp, it will be hard to hold and they will not taste as crisp and yummy.
Use full fat cream cheese- Because the low fat cream cheese has a different texture that isn’t as tasty.
Don’t cut the ends- Even though you may be tempted, because this adds a small little handle for easier handling and eating.
- Make ahead- Follow instructions on recipe card, then place in a sealed container up to 2 days before serving. Take out of container and display on tray as desired.
- Fridge- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezer- Cannot be frozen, because the peppers will become soggy when defrosting and cream cheese will change texture.
More one pot appetizers
- Easy Queso Dip (One Pot)
- Cocktail Meatballs (One Pot)
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot)
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies (One Pan)
- Crockpot Little Smokies
One Pot Stuffed Mini Peppers
- 1 package Cream cheese, Full fat, 16 oz package, Room temperature
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, Shredded, Can be replaced with mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Finely chopped, Can be replaced with green onions or other fresh herbs of your choice
- 1.5 tsp Garlic powder, Adjust according to your preference
- 1.5 tsp Onion powder, Adjust according to your preference
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 20 Mini peppers, Washed, Patted dry, Sliced in half lengthwise, Seeds removed, You will end up with 40 halved peppers
- In a small mixing bowl or Ziploc bag, add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Spread spoonfuls of this cheese mixture in halved mini peppers. Enjoy!
- Optional step: I didn't do this but you can sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the stuffed peppers and broil in oven for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.