Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy stuffed bell peppers recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. Full of rice, ground beef, Italian marinara sauce, cheese.
This is fun way to present your dinner as well as get in some vegetables. I know my kids are way more likely to eat their vegetables if the dish looks fun. But I like peppers just about any way they are presented! That’s why I also like Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers and these Stuffed Mini Peppers (One Pan).
How to make easy Italian stuffed bell peppers recipe from scratch?
- Brown ground beef- Along with and onions.
- Remove from heat– And drain grease.
- Mix in other ingredients- This includes marinara sauce, rice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
- Stuff peppers– With this filling.
- Assemble- Spread marinara sauce in a casserole dish, topped off with stuffed peppers.
- Cover– And bake.
- Remove from oven-And sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake again– Until cheese is melted.
What to serve with best stuffed peppers with rice and ground beef?
This is great on its own and doesn’t really need any sides. If you really want a side, you can serve with pasta or breadsticks.
Do you have to boil peppers before stuffing them?
No, you don’t have to do that at all. However, if you’d like to cut down the cooking time for later, you can use boiled peppers and then bake for a shorter time.
Do you have to precook the meat for stuffed peppers?
Yes, it is best to cook the meat so that you can be positive it’s all cooked through and safe for consumption plus you can drain the grease when you cook it beforehand and that makes it healthier.
How do you make stuffed peppers not soggy?
Be sure not to add more marinara sauce than the recipe calls for. Also, measure ingredients properly.
Vegetarian/ Vegan peppers– Omit the meat or use an alternative, such as tofu. Do the same with the cheese, using a vegan replacement.
Taco Mexican stuffed peppers- You can use my Mexican Ground Beef Taco Meat (One Pot) or even the Shredded Chicken or Turkey from some of my taco recipes. In place of the marinara sauce, use enchilada sauce or salsa instead. I would also replace the Italian seasoning with taco seasoning so that you don’t have conflicting flavors.
Turkey peppers– This is a great alternative meat choice when you need to use up all that leftover Thanksgiving Turkey. You can also make a delicious Turkey Breast to chop or shred it into the peppers.
Quinoa peppers without rice- If you want to cut down on calories and/or carbs, quinoa is a great replacement.
Use mini peppers/ sweet peppers– Everything seems to look better in miniature size. This dish is no exception. Instead of the common bell peppers, you can instead make this recipe with mini peppers.
Try other cheeses– I used cheddar for this meal, but you are welcome to use mozzarella, parmesan, or gouda. This will switch up the flavor and texture of the meal.
Tips and techniques
Rice must be cooked- Because uncooked rice will not cook during baking. This is a great way to use up leftovers, though!
Make this a true one pot meal- Rinse out the large nonstick pan that you used to brown beef and make sure it’s oven-safe. Spread remaining sauce in this pan. Arrange the prepared peppers. Cover with aluminum foil and bake.
Adjust spices- You can play with the spices to your desired preference but be sure not to over-do it.
Use unsalted butter- Because otherwise you run the risk of your stuffed peppers becoming too salty and less tasty.
Don’t forget the final broil- This is important, because you need to remove the aluminum foil, sprinkle cheese on top and then let it broil for a few minutes to get a perfectly nice, golden brown appearance and melted bubbly cheese.
Fridge- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
Freezer- This is not recommended, because the cheese turns into an odd texture after being frozen and thawed.
More one pot dinner ideas
- Instant Pot Jambalaya (Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp)
- Oven Roasted Chicken and Vegetables (One Pan)
- Meatball Casserole (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Dublin Coddle
One Pot Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
- 1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1.5 pound Ground beef
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1 jar Marinara sauce, 23 oz. jar
- 1.5 cups Cooked rice, Any kind of rice, Can be leftovers
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 Bell peppers, Any color your like, Washed, Patted dry, tops cut off
- 1.5 cups Shredded cheese, Full fat, Can use Mozzarella or Cheddar or Parmesan
- Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion and cook for a few minutes until meat is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat and drain grease.
- Add half the marinara sauce, cooked rice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
- Mix until combined.
- Stuff bell peppers with this beef filling. You may have some leftovers.
- Add remaining marinara sauce in a large casserole dish (Dimensions: 9×13).
- Place the stuffed peppers on top of the sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender.
- Remove aluminum foil and sprinkle shredded cheese on top of each bell pepper.
- Bake uncovered for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- To make this a truly one pot meal, rinse out the large nonstick pan that you used to brown beef and make sure it's oven-safe. Spread remaining sauce in this pan. Arrange the prepared peppers. Cover with aluminum foil and bake.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.