Chicken and Potatoes (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy chicken and potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Packed with garlic & Italian seasoning.
This meal is packed with so much flavor from the Italian seasoning and the surprise sweetness from the coconut balances the savory taste, making it a hit every time. We make a lot of chicken dinners at our home. So, be sure to add my Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken (One Pot) and Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken recipes to your menu as well!
How to make chicken and potatoes?
- Heat butter and oil– In a large nonstick pot or pan.
- Add potatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper– Mix and cook until softened. Keep aside.
- Heat butter and oil again– In the same pan
- Add chicken, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper– Pan fry the chicken on each side until cooked through.
- In the final 2 minutes– Add coconut and pan fry it with the chicken until golden brown.
- Add potatoes– And mix everything together.
- Enjoy! Garnish with fresh herbs and dig in!
What to serve with chicken and potatoes recipe?
This is quite a filling meal on its own and sides are not really necessary but you can serve it with bread like dinner rolls, breadsticks or garlic bread.
Salads pair perfectly too. Try this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing Salad (One Bowl) or Broccoli Salad Recipe (One Bowl), or Cucumber Tomato Salad (One Bowl).
Chicken and sweet potatoes– Simply switch out the white potatoes for sweet ones.
Roasted /Oven baked chicken and potatoes– Place the cubed potatoes on a sheet pan (oiled and seasoned). Place seasoned and lightly oiled chicken on top of the potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and potatoes are fork tender.
Chicken and mashed potatoes– Serve these Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (One Pot) with the chicken, and omit the potatoes.
Use a different cut of chicken– Try chicken thighs, legs, or wings. just note they will have different cook times,
Add green beans– Add green beans with the potatoes for extra heartiness.
Make it spicy– Add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or even jalapeno slices for some heat.
Vary the seasoning– Try Greek, Mexican, or Cajun seasonings instead of Italian for a different flavor profile.
Make it creamy– Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream or half and half for a creamy version.
Add cheese– Top with fresh grated parmesan, shredded mozzarella, or your favorite cheese, prior to serving.
Garnish– With finely chopped fresh parsley, dill, basil, or cilantro.
Tips and Techniques
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less according to your personal preference.
Use high quality olive oil– The higher the quality the better the flavor.
Use a non-stick pot– To prevent the potatoes and chicken from sticking and burning.
Cut potatoes into uniform 1 inch cubes– This allows them to cook evenly, for the same amount of time.
What kind of chicken to use? I used two large chicken breasts and then cut them in half lengthwise. You can use whatever cut you prefer, but the cooking times will vary.
Coconut is optional– It adds a little crunch and sweetness so I enjoy adding it!
More One Pot Chicken Recipes
One Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Heat butter and oil in a LARGE nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper.
- Mix everything together and cook for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown and cooked through. Remove potatoes from pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat butter and oil again over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and pan fry the chicken on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- In the final 2 minutes, add coconut and pan fry it with the chicken until golden brown. This is optional but adds a slight crunch and subtle coconut flavor.
- Push the cooked chicken to the side and add the potatoes.
- Mix everything together until potatoes are warmed through again (takes about 1 minute) and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.