Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (One Bowl)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy creamy cucumber tomato onion salad recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot or bowl in just 10 minutes. Loaded with with rich sour cream and mayonnaise dressing.
This salad will make a bright and refreshing note to any dinner or picnic you bring it to. The tangy tomatoes pair so well with the cool cucumber and creamy sauce. My family enjoys this just as much as my Cucumber Onion Salad (One Bowl), Cucumber Tomato Salad (One Bowl) and Asian Cucumber Salad (One Bowl).
How to make creamy cucumber tomato onion salad?
- Make dressing- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, parsley, dill in a salad bowl.
- Add cucumbers, onions, tomatoes– Mix until fully coated.
- Enjoy– Serve immediately and dig in!
What to serve with cucumber tomato and onion salad recipe?
This is a fresh Summer salad that makes a wonderful side dish with smoked, baked or grilled chicken, steak, pork chops and even fish (salmon). It’s a classic side for picnics, potlucks and Summer BBQ parties.
Serve it alongside burgers, hot dogs, wraps or sandwiches like this Loose Meat Sandwich (One Pot).
Greek cucumber tomato feta salad– Use Greek seasoning and crumbled feta cheese. You can also add sliced black olives, if you like.
Cucumber tomato avocado salad– Dice 1 large avocado and mix it into the salad.
Add pasta– Add elbow, macaroni, small shells. They must be boiled and drained first.
Add quinoa– Add 1/2 cup cooked quinoa for a heartier salad.
Add beans– Add 1/2 cup black or cannellini beans. If using canned, be sure to drain and rinse them.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes or finely chopped jalapenos.
Add radish– Mix in 1/2 cup of thinly sliced radishes.
Add nuts– This adds a little crunch and nutty flavor. Add roasted cashews, almond, pecans or walnuts.
Refrigerate– Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 1 day. If you store it for longer, the cucumbers and tomatoes will release a lot of water.
Freeze– This salad does not freeze well. The texture of the cucumbers will deteriorate as it thaws.
Tips and Techniques
Lemon juice vs. vinegar– Use whatever you have on hand or whatever you like. I prefer lemon juice. If you decide to use vinegar, apple cider vinegar is a good choice.
Use full fat ingredients– This will give the creamiest and best flavor in the salad.
What herbs to use in salad? Use a combination of your favorite herbs. I used parsley and dill, but you can also use basil, thyme, chives, oregano. Make sure you are using fresh herbs because they look better, taste better, and have a bright strong aroma.
Do you remove seeds in cucumbers? That’s not necessary unless your cucumbers are very bitter.
What type of cucumbers to use in salad? Any type should work just fine. Try English cucumber, little Persian cucumbers or even big waxed cucumbers.
How do you cut tomatoes for a salad? If you are using cherry tomatoes, slice them in half, along the length of the tomatoes. For regular Roma tomatoes, slice them in half, along the length of the tomatoes. Then, remove and discard the seeds with a spoon. Then, dice them.
Adjust amount of herbs and spices– Add more or less of whatever you like or dislike.
Use high quality olive oil– It truly makes a difference in the overall flavor. Be sure to choose the best quality you can find.
Can you make creamy salad with Greek Yogurt? Yes! It’s a healthier alternative to sour cream or mayo but has a more tangy flavor. You can also make this salad healthier by using low-fat mayo and low fat sour cream or replace some of the mayo and sour cream with yogurt. However, please note that it will change the flavor and creaminess slightly.
Serve immediately- This salad does not have a very long shelf life. When it sits for too long in the fridge, the cucumbers start releasing water, become limp and loose their “crispiness.” The salad becomes a watery mess. Yuck!
More Salad Recipes
- Creamy Coleslaw (One Bowl)
- Creamy Pea Salad (One Bowl)
- Three Bean Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cucumber Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Broccoli Salad Recipe (One Bowl)
One Pot Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
- 1/2 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise, Full fat
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, Or vinegar
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper , To taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ginger powder, Optional
- 1.5 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Dill, Fresh, Finely chopped
- 2 English cucumbers, Thinly sliced into circles and then cut into semi circles
- 1 cup Red onions, Thinly sliced
- 2 large Tomatoes, Diced
- In a large salad bowl, add sour cream, mayonnaise, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, parsley, dill.
- Mix everything together until smooth.
- Add cucumbers, onions, tomatoes and mix until fully coated in the creamy dressing.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 day.