Chili Lime Chicken (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy chili lime chicken recipe, made in one pot/ pan with simple ingredients on stovetop. This sweet & spicy 30 minute weeknight meal can also be grilled or baked.
This chili lime chicken recipe has the perfect balance of sweet and spice and it is something I have been making since I was in college.
I love eating it with plain jasmine rice. Hubby likes it as is and doesn’t want any sides…hehe.
What sides to serve with this sweet chili chicken?
- Dinner rolls
- Rice (my favorite!)
Chili lime chicken marinade
It’s made by combining together the following ingredients:
- Chili flakes
- Sweet chili sauce
- Soy sauce
- Lime juice
Combine all the ingredients together in a a large bowl or Ziploc bag and add the chicken pieces and let it marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight. You can also just add all the ingredients in a pan, along with the chicken and cook it on the stovetop, which is what I did.
Tips for sweet chili lime chicken recipe:
- I used large boneless chicken breasts in this recipe but you can also make chili lime chicken thighs, wings or drumsticks.
- Adjust the amount of sweet chili sauce, red chili flakes and paprika, based on your spice preference.
- Based on the size of your chicken breasts, you can use up to to 5 or 6 chicken breasts in this recipe.
- You must use low sodium soy sauce to prevent this meal from becoming too salty.
- Sweet chili sauce can easily be found in grocery stores but you can also make it at home, if you like. I just buy it since it’s quicker.
- Don’t replace lime juice with lemon juice because it alters the flavor since lime has a very distinct zesty flavor.
- To enhance the lime flavor, you can also add 1 tsp lime zest.
Other flavor variations:
- To make chili lime chicken burgers, use small chicken breast pieces (about 1 inch) and cook as per the recipe instructions below. Then, use them as a filling in burgers, along with lettuce and condiments of your choice.
- To make chili lime chicken tacos, slice this cooked chicken into thin strips and add them in soft or hard tacos, along with lettuce, tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Make baked chili lime chicken by marinating chicken in all the ingredients for at least 1 hour and then baking at 375 degrees until fully cooked.
- Make grilled chili lime chicken marinating chicken in all the ingredients for at least 1 hour and then baking at 375 degrees until fully cooked.
- To make chili lime chicken salad, slice this cooked chicken into thin strips and serve that over a bowl of lettuce, spinach, kale, onions and other vegetables of your choice.
- To make chili lime chicken kabobs, use small chicken pieces and
- To make slow cooker/ crockpot chili lime chicken, dump all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
How to make chili lime chicken?
- Heat oil and saute ginger, garlic, red chili flakes, chicken until light golden brown.
- Add sweet chili sauce, salt, pepper, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, paprika.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Then, uncover and cook until liquid is reduced and sauce thickens and chicken is fully cooked.
Other One Pot Chicken Dinner Recipes:
Sweet Chili Lime Chicken
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, Finely minced
- 1 tsp Chili flakes, Optional
- 5 Chicken breasts, Boneless
- 1/2 cup Sweet chili sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce, Low sodium
- 4 tbsp Lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper , To taste
- Green onions, Thinly sliced, For garnish
- Lime slices, For garnish
- In a large nonstick pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, chili flakes, chicken breasts and saute for a few minutes until slightly golden brown. Be careful not to burn the ginger and garlic.
- Add sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, paprika, salt, pepper and mix everything together.
- Cover and cook for about about 10 minutes.
- Then, uncover and cook for a few more minutes until liquid is reduced and thick and chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with lime slices and green onions. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Happy cooking everyone!