Coconut Rice (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy coconut rice recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with jasmine rice, coconut milk with a hint of garlic. Also known as coconut jasmine rice.
This sweet and savory rice is the perfect side for any Asian inspired dish you are serving. Add it to your weeknight routine, and it is sure to be a hit for the entire family. Rice is typically such an easy addition to most meals, just like this Garlic Rice (One Pot) or Pineapple Rice (One Pot).
How to make coconut rice recipe?
- Add rice, milk, water, garlic, salt– Mix all these ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to to a boil– Stir often to prevent the rice from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce heat– Cover and cook to allow the rice to become tender.
- Remove from heat– Fluff with a fork.
- Enjoy! Garnish with toasted coconut and dig in!
What sides to serve with coconut milk rice recipe?
Try serving it with almost any protein stir-fry for an Asian inspired meal such as: Chinese Bourbon Chicken (One Pot), Szechuan Chicken (One Pot), Crockpot Sesame Chicken, Mango Chicken (One Pot), or Crockpot Orange Chicken.
The subtle sweetness in this rice also balances the spice of most curry dishes. Try serving it with this Instant Pot Beef Curry (Indian) or Indian Chickpea Curry (One Pot). Basically, any dish which has a lot of sauce and juices would be an awesome accompaniment.
Coconut lime rice– Add a splash of fresh lime juice and lime zest to enhance flavor.
Use other rice- Such as basmati or any other long grain rice. Using brown rice could be a healthier option but it takes longer to cook. Also, the ratio of liquid to rice would be different for brown rice.
Add spices– Such as red pepper flakes for a sweet and spicy combination or ginger for a bright and vibrant flavor addition.
Add herbs– Such as fresh cilantro, green onions, parsley or mint leaves.
Add sweetener– While not the healthiest option, you can also add slight sweetness with granulated sugar, honey, agave or even maple syrup.
Add nuts– Top off with roasted almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, or cashews, prior to serving for a slight crunch.
Add dried fruits- Add dried raisins, cranberries, cherries as a garnish, which adds subtle sweetness to this recipe.
Add pineapples- Fresh or canned will both work well. Just make sure they are diced small.
Refrigerate- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Freeze- I don’t recommend freezing this dish because cooked rice does not thaw well and the texture changes.
Reheat- Warm it up again in the microwave for about 1 minute. Sometimes, I add a splash of water to the rice as it reheats so that it doesn’t dry out too much.
Tips and Techniques
Do I have to use dry uncooked rice? Yes, you need to cook the rice in the milk. This allows the coconut flavor and aroma to be properly infused.
Do I need to soak the rice? No, you do not need to soak it first. You want to maximize the absorption of the coconut milk flavor while it is cooking in it.
Use a non-stick pot– This prevents the rice from sticking and burning.
Can I use other rice? Yes, you can use brown, basmati, or even cauliflower rice instead of Jasmine rice.
Can I substitute coconut milk with water? No, the flavors of both ingredients are totally different. Also, milk adds a rich and creamy flavor that water simply cannot add to this dish.
Use full fat coconut milk– Because this yields maximum richness and flavor.
Water vs. Broth– Water works best because it doesn’t discolor the rice like broth and the rice retains its beautiful white appearance.
Regular milk vs. Coconut milk- You cannot use regular milk because it will not add that lovely coconut flavor.
Garlic is optional- It definitely adds another layer of flavor but some people find it overpowering. You can reduce the quantity or omit it altogether.
More One Pot Rice Recipes
- Easy Rice Pilaf (One Pot)
- Cilantro Lime Rice (One Pot)
- Bacon Fried Rice (One Pot)
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (One Pot)
One Pot Coconut Rice
- 1.5 cups Jasmine rice, Dry, Uncooked
- 1 can Coconut milk, 15 oz. can, Full fat
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 clove Garlic, Finely minced, Optional
- Salt, To taste
- 1 tbsp Toasted coconut , Unsweetened, For garnish
- 1-2 tbsp Green onions, Thinly sliced, For garnish
- Add rice, coconut milk, water, garlic, salt in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Mix until combined.
- Bring to to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often to prevent the rice from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce the heat to Low.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes to allow the rice to become tender.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and green onions. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.