Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Traditional, classic, quick, easy sweet potato casserole recipe with marshmallows and pecans, made in one pot. A simple 30 minute Thanksgiving side dish.
This smooth, rich and creamy sweet potato casserole recipe is another family favorite, especially for the Thanksgiving feast. It’s sweet and ooey gooey because of the addition of honey and marshmallows and has hints of wonderful spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. This is a must-make for every Thanksgiving feast, along with some of these other classic Thanksgiving holiday sides:
- One Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- One Pot Thanksgiving Turkey Stuffing
- One Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- One Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- One Pot Homemade Brown Gravy
This is the best sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans!
How to make easy sweet potato casserole? How do you make sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows in the oven?
- In a baking dish, mash together the boiled sweet potatoes, along with the spices, butter, milk, honey, pecans.
- Spread it out evenly in the dish.
- Top it off with marshmallows and pecans.
- Bake and serve immediately.
How do you mash sweet potatoes for a casserole?
Use a traditional potato masher or an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
Is potato casserole a desert?
Even though it’s sweet like a desert, it is actually a very popular Thanksgiving side dish/ side.
Can you freeze sweet potato casserole?
No, the marshmallow and pecan topping will become really soft and mushy when the casserole thaws and comes to room temperature.
Can you make sweet potato casserole ahead of time (Make ahead sweet potato casserole)?
Yes, you can save time and prepare it 1-2 days in advance but you can’t bake it ahead of time since the marshmallows and pecans will will loose their crunch if they are baked a day early.
This is what you should do:
- Prepare the sweet potato filling and spread it in the dish.
- Top it off with marshmallows and pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to bake, remove the cover, bake and serve immediately.
Tips for one pot/ one dish simple sweet potato casserole recipe
- If you have any leftover mashed sweet potatoes, just use those in this recipe and omit all the spices, butter, honey and milk I have listed below. Just spread the sweet potato layer in a pan, top it off with marshmallows and pecans and bake.
- Recipe can easily be doubled or halved to serve a big or small crowd.
- Adjust the amount of spices, based on your preference.
- Adjust the amount of honey, based on your preference. If you like your casserole very sweet, add more honey.
- Instead of pecans, any other nuts of your choice can be used.
- The amount of milk can be adjusted based on how thin or thick you like your mashed potatoes. Everyone has their own preference. I recommend that you start off by adding a small amount first and then add more, as necessary.
- To make these potatoes super creamy, use half and half or a combination of whole milk and heavy cream. I don’t recommend using fat free milk or 2% milk because it doesn’t make this casserole as creamy as I would like.
This sweet potato casserole with pecans/ pecan topping has a delicious crunch!
If you are not fond of pecans, you can omit them entirely or use any other nuts of your choice.
Healthy sweet potato casserole
Use honey or maple syrup instead of sugar to sweeten this casserole. Use almond milk or coconut milk instead of whole milk or half and half. Furthermore, replace butter with coconut oil. Also, omit the marshmallows and replace that with a healthy crumbly pecan oat topping.
Sweet potato casserole with canned yams
If you don’t have fresh sweet potatoes, use canned yams.
- Make sure to drain the liquid and mash the yams.
- Then, mix it with honey, milk, butter and all the spices.
- Spread it in a baking dish.
- Top it off with marshmallows and pecans and bake.
Baked sweet potato casserole
Baking is crucial because that cooks the marshmallows on top of the casserole and makes them crispy and gives them a nice toasted flavor and a beautiful golden brown color.
Sweet potato casserole topping
The most popular toppings are:
- Streusel topping
- Brown sugar
Savory sweet potato casserole
For a savory version, you can add in some finely chopped fresh Italian herbs like basil, parsley, chives, sage, oregano as well as garlic powder or fresh roasted garlic.
Bourbon sweet potato casserole
Add 2 tbsp of bourbon in the mashed sweet potatoes for a unique flavor profile.
Southern sweet potato casserole
The recipe I have shared below is the the simplest, most classic way of enjoying this casserole and was most likely the Southern version- with just a marshmallow and pecan topping. However, some families make it with a buttery, crunchy streusel topping too.
Candied sweet potato casserole is different than this Classic sweet potato casserole/ Traditional sweet potato casserole
The candied version involves baking slices or chunks of sweet potatoes rather than baking mashed sweet potatoes. Both of them are sweet though and have a marshmallow topping.
Slow cooker/ Crockpot sweet potato casserole
- Add 5-6 sweet raw potatoes (cut into small cubes) in a crock pot, along with the butter, milk, spices, honey and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Then, mash or whip everything together until smooth.
- Top off with marshmallows and pecans.
- Cover and cook on low for about 30 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and serve immediately.
Other One Pot Side Dishes/ Sides
One Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 5 Boiled sweet potatoes, Medium size
- 1/4 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted, Very soft
- 1/4 cup Honey , Or maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Whole milk, Or half and half
- 2 cups Mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Pecans, Roughly chopped, Divided
- In a rectangle baking dish (Dimensions: 9x13), add boiled sweet potatoes, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, honey, milk.
- Mash everything together with a potato masher until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Mix in 1/4 cup pecans.
- Spread out this mixture evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle marshmallows and remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until marshmallows are bubbly and golden brown. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served fresh out of the oven but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Happy cooking everyone!
Just in time for Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing this yummy casserole!
This is sooooooo yummm and love that marshmellow+pecan topping! Perfect for holiday parties.
I love all the receipts! thanks