Basil Pesto Pasta Recipe (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy pesto pasta recipe, made with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop. This 30 minute meal is packed with peso sauce, basil and tomatoes.
This basil pesto pasta is just as easy as my One Pot Garlic Chicken Pasta and my One Pot Bacon Pasta.
How to make pesto pasta?
- Boil pasta and keep aside.
- Heat oil and saute garlic.
- Add pesto sauce, salt, pepper, boiled pasta, tomatoes and mix.
- Toss in some mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish with fresh basil and you are done.
What do you put in pesto pasta?
- Pesto sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
Chicken pesto pasta/ Pesto chicken pasta
Mix in 1-2 cups cooked chicken breast pieces in this pasta.
Shrimp pesto pasta/Pesto shrimp pasta
Mix in 1-2 cups cooked shrimp in this pasta.
One Pot Pesto sauce pasta
You can use homemade pesto sauce or just buy store-bought pesto sauce.
Zucchini pesto pasta
Replace angel hair pasta with zoodles.
Pesto pasta salad
Omit the cheese. Also add olives, more tomatoes, more basil, some toasted pine nuts. Chill and serve it cold.
Is pasta with pesto healthy?
Yes, it is a “healthier” meal if you use whole grain pasta.
How do you make creamy pesto pasta recipe?
Mix in 1/2 cup cream cheese and additional mozzarella cheese, based on how creamy you like your pasta.
What meat goes with pesto pasta?
Tips for one pot basil pesto pasta recipe:
- I used angel hair pasta because it absorbs the pesto flavor quicker than regular spaghetti but you can easily replace angel hair pasta with any pasta of your choice.
- Make sure you boil pasta in salted water or else it will have no flavor when you mix it in with the sauce later.
- Adjust the amount of mozzarella cheese, based on your preference. I like it light and don’t want it to over-power the pasta.
- Adjust the amount of pesto sauce, based on your preference.
- Don’t over-boil the pasta. It has to be al dente so that it doesn’t take like a “disgusting paste.”
- There are many different kinds of pasta. Feel free to use whichever one is your favorite.
- Cherry tomatoes or variety of cherry tomatoes can be used in this recipe.
- For a spicy kick, mix 1 finely chopped jalapeno in this pasta.
Other One Pot Pasta Recipes:
One Pot Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound Angel hair pasta
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Garlic, Finely minced
- 3/4-1 cup Pesto sauce
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 cup Tomatoes, Seeds removed and cut into 1 inch pieces OR cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, Adjust based on your preference
- 5 Basil leaves, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For garnish
- Boil pasta in salted water, according to box instructions and keep aside.
- In the same nonstick pot, heat oil over medium high heat and saute garlic until golden brown. Do not burn it!
- Add pesto sauce, salt, pepper and mix.
- Add boiled pasta, tomatoes and mix everything together until fully coated.
- Mix in some mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish with basil leaves and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Happy cooking everyone!
The perfect weeknight dinner!! SO easy and incredibly delicious!!
I love this! Looks so easy to make!
This looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
I love that this makes such a light meal!
Thank you so much for the tips! I will definitely try this!