Chicken Taco Soup (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy chicken taco soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with shredded chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, hearty broth, ranch and taco seasoning.
For nights when tacos are too much prep work, this meal will provide the same goodness with less dishes, mess, and time! It has so much flavor and warmth that everyone will be happy and satisfied at the dinner table! Try this Instant Pot Mexican Soup and Instant Pot Taco Soup if you need an even less hands-on option.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup Recipe From Scratch?
- Saute vegetables- This includes onion, green peppers, carrots, garlic,
- Add chicken– And cook until no longer pink.
- Mix in other ingredients– This includes diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, broth, corn, pinto beans, black beans, chopped green chilies, ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, salt, pepper.
- Cover and cook– Until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken– With 2 forks.
- Garnish- With cilantro and enjoy.
What Sides To Serve With Easy Chicken Taco Soup?
Foods you can use for dipping like bread are perfect:
- Best Cheese Quesadilla (One Pan)
- Vegetarian Quesadilla (One Pan)
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich (One Pan)
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
Salads are a great pairing. Try one of the following:
Rice can be another option:
- Cilantro Lime Rice (One Pot)
- Jalapeno Pineapple Rice (One Pot)
- Simple steamed rice- jasmine or basmati
Sour cream- Full fat is best.
Avocado slices- Can also replace with Easy Guacamole (One Bowl)
Lettuce- Thinly sliced or shredded.
Shredded cheese- Freshly grated or shredded is my recommendation.
Cilantro- Finely chopped.
Olives- Black olives compliment this soup the most.
Jalapenos- Deseed to reduce spice.
Plain Greek yogurt- Can be used instead of sour cream.
Tortilla strips- Can be homemade or store-bought.
Green onions- Thinly sliced.
Use rotisserie chicken– This saves a step in the cooking process or use leftover Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken).
Make creamy soup– Mix in half and half, heavy cream or even cream cheese at the end for a rich version.
Add cheese- Such as shredded cheese such as a Mexican blend, colby jack, or even pepper jack.
Make it in Instant Pot– Cook for 6 minutes, then let the pressure naturally come down for 5 minutes and then do a quick pressure release.
7 can chicken taco soup– This soup has 6 cans, so add another can of beans or a can of drained chicken.
Vegetarian taco soup– Leave out the chicken, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also use soy meat alternatives.
Add chorizo– Use chorizo in addition to or in place of chicken.
Add shrimp– Use shrimp instead of or in addition to chicken.
Make it spicy– Add jalapenos, Serrano, or other hot chilis, or just add red chili flakes.
Add other vegetables– Such as zucchini, green beans, peas, celery, mushrooms, or carrots. A bag of frozen mixed vegetables would be another option.
Add potatoes– You can add regular russet or sweet potatoes. Simply peel and cube them before adding to the soup.
Add other seasonings and spices– Such as Cajun seasoning or smoked paprika.
Add pasta– Add small boiled and drained pasta like ditalini, elbow, or shells at the end to make this a very filling meal.
Tips And Techniques
How to thicken soup? To thicken it quickly, you can always cook uncovered on the stovetop until liquid is reduced to your desired consistency. Another option is to stir in some heavy cream or cream cheese at the end to thicken it. Some people mix in a cornstarch slurry.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add more broth or water.
Use any beans you like– I used a combination of black beans and pinto beans but you can use red beans, garbanzo beans or any other beans of your choice. Be sure to use canned beans since they cook faster. Also, make sure to drain and rinse them or else they will discolor your soup and add a very odd “after-taste.”
Liquid ranch dressing vs. Dry ranch seasoning mix– These are NOT interchangeable. You have to use the dry powder for the concentrated flavor it provides.
Use low sodium ingredients– Because this prevents the meal from becoming too salty, especially with regards to the broth.
Adjust amount of seasoning– Add more or less taco seasoning and ranch seasoning, based on your preference. They can be homemade or store-bought.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– In a sealed container for up to 1 month.
Reheat– From thawed, in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More One Pot Soup Recipes
One Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Green peppers, Diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, Diced, Optional
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 2 Chicken breasts, Boneless
- 1 can Diced tomatoes with green chilies, 10 oz. can
- 1 can Stewed tomatoes , 14.5 oz. can
- 1.5 cups Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 1 can Corn, 15 oz. can, Don't drain
- 1 can Pinto beans, Drained, Rinsed, 15 oz. can
- 1 can Black beans, Drained, Rinsed, 15 oz. can, Or use use chili beans Or use red kidney beans
- 1 can Chopped green chilies, Optional
- 1 packet Ranch seasoning mix , Dry, 1 oz. packet
- 1 packet Taco seasoning mix, Dry, 1 oz. packet
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To. taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green peppers, carrots (optional), garlic, chicken and saute until chicken is no longer pink. It does not have to be cooked through.
- Add diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, broth, corn, pinto beans, black beans, chopped. green chilies, ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, salt, pepper.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through- about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred it and then add it back into the pot.
- Mix and continue cooking uncovered for 5-8 minutes until soup is thickened and reduced to your desired consistency.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.