Best Vegetarian Gravy (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy vegetarian gravy recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 20 minutes. Loaded with vegetable stock or broth and herbs. Can also be easily turned into vegan gravy.
Gravy adds a decadence and richness to food that just can’t be beat. This vegetarian version is bursting with flavor and is a great addition to your repertoire. Make sure to try my Easy Mushroom Gravy (One Pot) and Onion Gravy (One Pot), which can easily be transformed into vegetarian gravies by using vegetable broth or stock.
How to make vegetarian gravy recipe from scratch?
- In a saucepan– Add stock, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, mustard, soy sauce, flour and whisk everything together over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil– Whisking until the gravy becomes smooth and thick.
- Remove from heat– Mix in butter.
- Enjoy– Over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
What to serve with vegetarian gravy?
You can use this over biscuits for a breakfast or brunch option as well! It’s delicious for dipping breadsticks.
Serve it over chicken such as rotisserie chicken, baked, air fried or Grilled Chicken Breast (One Pan).
You can also serve it over beef such as these Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot) or fried steak.
If you have any rice or pasta meals that are too dry, consider mixing in a bit of this gravy for added flavor and moisture. Try it in this Easy Rice Pilaf (One Pot).
Best of all, use it in appetizers and game day food like nachos and poutine.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– In a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat– In the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of water or broth to thin it out.
Make it gluten free– Use a gluten-free flour blend instead of regular all-purpose flour. Instead of soy sauce, you can use tamari or coconut aminos.
Make it a vegan gravy– Simply use a vegan butter instead of regular butter.
Add toppings- Such as sliced green onions, fresh basil, parsley, chives or toasted sesame seeds, or even roasted corn.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes or cayenne pepper for some extra heat.
Make it creamy– Add heavy cream for a creamy version.
Add vegetables- Such as caramelized onions, mushrooms, or tomatoes for additional flavor.
Add seasonings– Such as Mexican, Greek, or Cajun seasoning for a different flavor profile.
Tips and Techniques
Stock vs. broth- I prefer stock for this recipe because it provides more flavor.
How to thicken gravy/ How to make it thinner? To thicken, you can add a small amount of a corn starch slurry, or continue cooking the gravy until it reduces more and thickens to your desired consistency. To thin the gravy, simply add a little more stock.
Where to buy nutritional yeast? What is nutritional yeast? It is a deactivated yeast that is often used to provide a non-dairy cheesy satisfying taste in foods. You can buy it at most major grocery stores or health food stores or even online.
Nutritional yeast substitute– I have used marmite as a successful substitute in this recipe.
Soy sauce substitute– You can use tamari or coconut aminos.
Can you make gravy with water? No, it will make the gravy tasteless, which is the opposite of what we are aiming for!
Use low-sodium ingredients– Because this prevents the dish from becoming too salty.
Use a non-stick saucepan– To prevent the gravy from sticking and burning.
More One Pot Gravy Recipes
- Easy Chicken Gravy (One Pot)
- Easy White Gravy (One Pot)
- Biscuits And Gravy (One Pot)
- Easy Sausage Gravy (One Pot)
- Homemade Brown Gravy Recipe (One Pot)
One Pot Vegetarian Gravy
Quick and easy vegetarian gravy recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 20 minutes. Loaded with vegetable stock or broth and herbs
- 2 cups Vegetable stock Can be replaced with broth but stock tastes much better, Low sodium
- 1 tsp Onion powder Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic powder Finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast Or replace with 1-2 tsp Marmite
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce Or use tamari or liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted, Can be substituted with vegan butter
In a medium-sized nonstick saucepan, add stock, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, mustard, soy sauce, flour and whisk everything together over medium heat.
Bring to a boil, whisking often, until the gravy becomes smooth and thick.
Remove from heat and mix in butter.
Enjoy over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave with a splash of water or broth to make it thin again.