Best Creamed Corn (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy creamed corn recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with milk, cream cheese and bacon!
I remember eating this corn out of a can as a child, and thinking, “Why would anyone eat this?” Let’s just say it was not a good introduction! However, this homemade version is the complete opposite and truly the BEST! You and your whole family will be fighting over seconds. Mexican Corn Salad Recipe (One Bowl) and Grilled Corn On the Cob are also delicious corn variations. So, make sure to try them as well.
How to make creamed corn recipe from scratch?
- Prepare cheese mixture– By mixing together milk, butter, cream cheese in nonstick pot.
- Mix in corn and seasonings- The seasonings includes sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder.
- Cook– Until mixture is thickened.
- Enjoy– Garnish green onions and crumbled bacon and dig in!
What to serve with cream cheese corn?
This is a side dish that can go with almost any main dish! Serve it with beef such as: Ground Beef Quesadilla (One Pan), Ground Beef Tacos (One Pot), Instant Pot Italian Beef, BBQ Shredded Beef (One Pot), or Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze- In a freezer safe container or bag for up to 1 month.
Reheat– In the microwave, or on the stovetop. If reheating from frozen, you may need to add a little whole milk to help the dairy come together again.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes, cayenne pepper. Add jalapeno slices for a kick and Mexican twist.
Add garnishes– Such as finely chopped fresh herbs, dollop of sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, avocado slices, finely chopped tomatoes, pickled onions, crumbled bacon.
Add protein– Such as cooked shrimp, crab, sausage, chicken, or beef. Make sure whatever meat you use is diced small or shredded.
Make it vegetarian– Simply skip the bacon crumbles on top.
Add other cheese- Such as Cotija, Queso Fresco, shredded Colby jack, pepper jack, mozzarella, or feta.
Add seasonings– Such as Mexican, Cajun, or Greek seasoning.
Add beans– Such as black beans, red beams, garbanzo beans or pinto beans.
Add other vegetables– Such as chopped fresh tomatoes, cooked spinach, onions, or artichokes.
Tips and techniques for homemade creamed corn
Use full-fat ingredients– This provides the creamiest, richest, and best overall flavor.
Adjust seasoning- Add more or less, based on your personal preference.
Use a non-stick pot- Because this prevents the corn and dairy from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pot.
Should I use fresh/canned/frozen corn? I highly recommend fresh or frozen corn for the sweetest and best flavor. You can use drained canned corn, but I do not recommend it since it is very soft and tends to become “mushy” as it cooks.
Use unsalted butter- Because it prevents this dish from becoming too salty.
Can you eat “cream style corn” by itself? Yes. It’s typically enjoyed as a side dish but since it’s so rich, you can eat it on its own too.
More One Pot Corn Recipes
- Corn Salsa (One Bowl)
- Mexican Corn On The Cob (One Pan)
- Boiling Corn On The Cob (One Pot)
- Chicken Corn Soup (One Pot)
One Pot Creamed Corn
- 1.5 cups Milk, Preferably whole
- 1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted, Cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup Cream cheese, Full fat
- 5 cups Corn, Fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, Optional
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 2 stalks Green onions, Thinly sliced, For topping
- 1/4 cup Crumbled bacon, For topping, Omit if you want to keep it vegetarian
- In a large nonstick pot, add milk, butter, cream cheese and cook over medium-high heat until cheese is partially melted.
- Add corn, sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning (optional), garlic powder, onion powder and mix until combined.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until mixture is thickened and corn is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and top off with green onions and crumbled bacon. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.