Easy Tomato Sandwich (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Classic, Southern, quick and easy tomato sandwich recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 10 minutes. Loaded with mayonnaise and fresh tomatoes. No baking or cooking required.
This sandwich is perfect for summertime! When your garden is overflowing with juicy, ripe tomatoes, turn them into an easy and delicious sandwich for your family or guests. There is no cooking required, which makes it a super quick lunch or dinner option! Make sure to try my other favorite summertime sandwiches too like this Cucumber Sandwich (One Pan) or this Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich (One Pan).
How to make tomato sandwich?
- Spread mayonnaise– On each slice of bread.
- Place sliced tomatoes– On 2 slices of bread.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Cover tomatoes– With 2 remaining slices of bread.
- Enjoy– Serve immediately!
What to serve with easy tomato sandwich?
It’s really quite tasty on its own because it’s so light and refreshing.
However, if you want to make it a more filling complete meal, I would recommend serving a bright healthy salad along with it such as: Strawberry Spinach Salad With Poppyseed Dressing (One Bowl), Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl), Three Bean Salad (One Bowl), or Broccoli Salad Recipe (One Bowl).
Refrigerate– It is best served immediately. I don’t recommend storing it because the bread becomes too soggy.
Freeze– I would not recommend freezing it because the bread will become soggy upon thawing.
Open faced sandwich– Simply leave the 2 slices open instead of putting them together for a different way to present this dish.
Add cheese– Such as cream cheese, provolone, goat cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, smoked gouda, or parmesan.
Add dried herbs– Sprinkle Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, Mexican seasoning, dill, basil, or oregano for more flavor.
Add fresh herbs– Such as basil, parsley, or cilantro.
Add protein– Such as bacon, hard-boiled egg slices, chicken, turkey slices, prosciutto, pepperoni or salami.
Toast it– Serve it warm by adding butter to the outer bread pieces, and warming it on the stovetop or in a toaster oven.
Add vegetables– Such as spinach, lettuce, sauteed or raw onions, cucumbers, or avocado.
Make it spicy– add jalapeno slices, or sprinkle red chili flakes onto the mayonnaise before adding the tomatoes.
Tips and Techniques
What type of mayonnaise to use? I use full-fat Hellman’s mayonnaise because it produces the most flavor. You can use Miracle Whip for a substitute if you really love it, but I don’t recommend it.
What kind of tomatoes to use? Pick the freshest, ripest, and largest tomatoes because they provide the best flavor and make slicing easier.
Serve immediately– The juices from the tomatoes will seep into the bread and make it soggy the longer it sits.
Press the bread together gently– This keeps the tomatoes from falling out when you pick it up to eat it since they are adhered to the mayonnaise, but do it gently so you don’t squish the tomatoes and make a juicy mess.
- Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich (One Pan)
- Loose Meat Sandwich (Tavern Sandwich)
- Avocado Egg Salad (One Pot)
- Cranberry Chicken Salad (One Pot)
- Best Avocado Toast (One Pan)
One Pan Tomato Sandwich
- Spread a thick layer of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place sliced tomatoes on 2 slices of bread.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Cover tomatoes with 2 remaining slices of bread (mayonnaise side down). You will end up with 2 sandwiches.
- Press gently on top to secure everything together.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately. I don’t recommend storing leftovers for later because the bread becomes soft and soggy.