Ham Pasta Salad (One Bowl)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy ham pasta salad recipe, homemade with simple in in one pot in 20 minutes. Loaded with cheddar cheese, green onions, ranch and mayo dressing.
This is the one of the best Summer salads ever. It is even better than Ruby Tuesday version! It is filling, creamy, savory because of the ham, and super easy to make. This Basil Pesto Pasta Salad (One Bowl and this Best Macaroni Salad (One Bowl), and even this Italian Tortellini Salad (One Bowl) are all delicious pasta salads you need to make. Each of them feature a different flavor profile.
How To Make Ham Pasta Salad Recipe From Scratch?
- Make dressing– By whisking together mayonnaise, ranch dressing, salt, pepper, parsley.
- Toss reamining ingredients– This includes boiled pasta, ham, celery, green onions, peas and carrots, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Cover- And chill.
- Enjoy– Garnish with green onions.
Whisk together the following ingredients and keep in a sealed jar in fridge for up to 5 days:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise Full fat
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing Full fat
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1 tbsp Parsley Or any other fresh herb of your choice, Roughly chopped
What To Serve With Ham And Cheese Macaroni Salad?
This salad goes so well with soup such as:
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot)
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (One Pot)
- Cream of Broccoli Soup (One Pot).
It pairs beautifully with sandwiches:
If you want an additional protein, try grilled meats:
- Grilled Chicken Breast (One Pan)
- Grilled fish, steak or even brats
- Hot dogs
Add other veggies– Such as chopped green bell peppers, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, peas and carrots.
Make it healthier– Use half mayo and half plain full-fat Greek yogurt, or all plain Greek yogurt, for more protein. It will taste tangier this way. You can also use low fat mayonnaise.
Make it even creamier– Add sour cream, or even softened cream cheese.
Make it vegetarian– Simply leave out the ham.
Make it gluten-free– Use your favorite gluten free pasta.
Add legumes– Such as chickpeas or beans.
Use a different pasta– I used small shells, but you can use any other small pasta that you like such as elbow, macaroni, bow tie pasta, or rotini.
Use a different protein– Such as hard boiled eggs, cooked tuna, or chicken. This Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken) would be a great option.
Make it spicy– Add some red chili flakes or even jalapeno slices.
Add crumbled bacon– For a salty crunch. Use it as a garnish before serving.
Tips And Techniques
Use full fat ingredients– Because this produces maximum creaminess and richness.
Adjust amount of herbs and spices- This is based on your personal preference. Add more or less of whatever you like or dislike.
What herbs to use in salads? I used parsley, and green onions, but you can also use basil, chives, or dill. Make sure to use fresh herbs since they taste the best and have a stronger aroma and flavor plus they look the best as well.
Let it rest– After preparing this salad, it’s important to set it in the fridge for about an hour or even overnight because this deepens the flavors.
Serve it cold– This is a cold pasta salad and it’s always served cold. If you serve it warm, the pasta will dry out because rather than coating the shells, the dressing will be absorbed into the pasta.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– This salad can not be frozen due to the dairy content. It will separate and not look or taste good.
More One Pot Salad Recipes
- Italian Spaghetti Salad
- Broccoli Salad Recipe (One Bowl)
- Avocado Egg Salad (One Pot)
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Pea Salad (One Bowl)
One Pot Ham Pasta Salad
Creamy Mayo Dressing
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, Full fat
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing, Full fat
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Or any other fresh herb of your choice, Roughly chopped
- 8 oz. Small shell pasta, Use half of the 16 oz. box, Boiled and drained
- 1 cup Ham, Diced small, Cooked
- 1/4 cup Celery, Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Green onions, Thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Peas and carrots, Frozen, Thawed, Optional
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, Shredded, Full fat
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, Shredded, Full fat
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, ranch dressing, salt, pepper, parsley and mix until smooth.
- Add boiled pasta, ham, celery, green onions, peas and carrots (optional), cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Toss until combined.
- Cover and chill in fridge overnight or at least 1 hour to allow flavors to deepen. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.