Instant Pot Corn Chowder (With Ham, Bacon, Potato)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy instant pot corn chowder recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 20 minutes. Loaded with potatoes, bacon, ham and vegetables. Super thick, rich, creamy comfort food.
This soup is the best! The savory flavors of the bacon and ham, are matched in decadence by the creamy corn and potatoes. This Cream of Broccoli Soup(One Pot) and Creamy Tortellini Soup (Crockpot) will also satisfy your desire for warm comforting soups this season.
How To Make Instant Pot Corn Chowder Recipe From Scratch?
- Cook Bacon– Until crispy.
- Remove bacon- And discard half the grease.
- Saute ingredients– This includes onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, salt, pepper, bay leaves.
- Mix in remaining ingredients– This includes cooked bacon, broth, potatoes, ham, corn.
- Cover and cook- For 5 minutes.
- Release pressure- Naturally for 10 minutes and then, do quick pressure release.
- Make it creamy– By mixing in half and half.
- Mix in thickening agent– This is a cornstarch slurry.
- Stir- To combine.
- Cook uncovered– Until soup is reduced and thickened to your desired consistency.
What Sides to Serve With Easy Potato Corn Chowder Soup With Bacon?
Pair this soup with foods you can dip into it such as bread:
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Crusty artisan bread
This soup is delicious paired with sandwiches as well. Try the following:
- Easy Tomato Sandwich (One Pan)
- Cucumber Sandwich (One Pan)
- Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich (One Pan)
- Loose Meat Sandwich (Tavern Sandwich)
Salad is a classic choice with any soup. Serve with a simple green salad or one of these robust salads:
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Harvest Fall Salad (One Bowl)
- Tabbouleh Salad (One Pot)
- Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl)
A main protein dish makes a great hearty addition as well:
- Cajun Chicken (One Pot)
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot)
- Baked or grilled fish such as salmon
What Is Chowder?
It is typically a thick, rich, cream-based soup containing corn, onions, potatoes, and/or fish and clams.
Variations For Ham and Corn Chowder
Vegetarian/ Vegan corn chowder– Eliminate the bacon and ham, and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. Also, use vegan butter, and coconut milk.
Shrimp chowder– Mix in cooked shrimp at the end, or add uncooked shrimp at the end and cook on saute mode until they are cooked through.
Crab chowder– Add crab meat for more flavor and heartiness.
Add sausage– Add andouille sausage for a Cajun feel. You could also add mild or spicy Italian sausage, whichever you prefer.
Add ground beef– This makes an even heartier soup.
Add turkey– Use leftover Turkey from a previous meal, or even add ground turkey for a leaner protein option than beef.
Add cheese– Such as cheddar, white cheddar, colby jack, or pepper jack.
Add other vegetables– Add a bag of frozen vegetables, diced bell peppers, or green beans.
Make it spicy– Add red pepper flakes, jalapenos slices, or even cayenne pepper for a spicy version.
Try other seasonings– Such as Mexican or Cajun for a flavor twist.
Make it creamy– Add whole milk, heavy cream, half and half, or coconut milk. You can also mix and match to your preference.
Tips And Techniques For Corn and Potato Chowder
How to thicken chowder? Add more cornstarch slurry, or cook uncovered on “saute” mode until excess liquid evaporates and reaches your desired consistency.
How to make chowder thinner? Simply add more broth or water.
Use nonstick pot– Because it prevents sticking and burning, making clean-up easier.
Adjust amount of seasonings– Add more or less of whatever seasonings you like or dislike.
Use low sodium broth– Because it prevents the soup from becoming too salty.
Use full fat ingredients– Because that makes the creamiest and richest soup.
Allow pressure to release naturally– When the cook time is over, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, do quick pressure release to remove remaining pressure. This allows the soup to cook fully.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing because of the dairy and potatoes. The potatoes will be very mushy, and the dairy will separate upon thawing.
Reheat– In the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder With Ham
Easy instant pot corn chowder recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 20 minutes. Loaded with potatoes, bacon, ham and vegetables.
- 4 slices Bacon Diced
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery Diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots Peeled, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1 tsp Dried thyme Fresh
- 1/2 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Dried basil
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 cups Chicken broth Low sodium
- 2 Potatoes Large, Peeled or unpeeled, Diced
- 1 cup Ham Cooked, Cubed
- 1.5 cups Corn Frozen, Adjust according to your preference
- 1 cup Half and half Or 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Chives Or parsley, Fresh, Finely chopped, For garnish
Turn Instant Pot to “Saute”mode.
Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy.
Transfer to a plate, lined with paper towel.
Discard half the grease.
Add butter and let it fully melt.
Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, salt, pepper, bay leaves and saute for a few minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Mix in cooked bacon, broth, potatoes, ham, corn.
Note: Instead of mixing in bacon in the soup, you can keep it aside and use it as a topping, prior to serving.
Put the lid on and turn the the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is over, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, do quick pressure release to remove remaining pressure.
Remove the lid and mix in half and half.
Also, make a cornstarch slurry by mixing together cornstarch and water. Pour this mixture in the soup and stir to combine.
Garnish with chives and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.