Instant Pot Meatball Sub Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy instant pot meatball sub recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with frozen meatballs, onions, green peppers, mushrooms.
This is one of our family favorites. It is always a win when everyone likes the same meal. The use of frozen meatballs also makes dinner time so easy. It doesn’t get much better than quick and loved by all! This Instant Pot Swedish Meatball Pasta and Best Spaghetti And Meatballs (One Pot) are two more tried and true family hits.
How To make Instant Pot Meatball Sub Recipe From Scratch?
- Prep Pot– Place a steamer basket in the instant pot. Pour 1 cup water.
- Add ingredients– Add frozen meatballs, green peppers, onions, mushrooms in the steamer basket.
- Set Pot– Put the lid on. Turn the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Manual” mode and set the timer.
- Release pressure– When the cook time is over, do a quick pressure release.
- Remove food– Put the meatballs and vegetables into a separate bowl.
- Remove the steamer basket– Discard the liquid.
- Set to”Sauté” mode– Pour remaining water in the pressure cooker.
- Add gravy mix– Whisk.
- Mix it– Return the meatballs and veggies back into the instant pot. Mix.
- Continue cooking– Uncovered (while mixing ) until gravy thickens. Turn off the pressure cooker.
- Enjoy!– Serve the meatballs and veggies in toasted buttered hoagie rolls with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
What To Serve With Meatball Sandwich?
What Do You Put On A Meatball Sub (Toppings)?
- Onions– Finely chopped, or grilled.
- Cheese– Add mozzarella, parmesan, provolone, or even Swiss.
- Sun-dried tomatoes– These will add a nice flavor and texture.
- Gardinera– Hot or mild, whichever you prefer.
- Spinach– Fresh baby or regular spinach.
- Basil– Add fresh basil leaves whole or shredded.
- Bacon– Crumble bacon top for some texture and saltiness.
- Pepperoncini– For a spicy kick.
Variations For Homemade Meatball Subs
Use red sauce– In place of brown gravy, use a marinara or tomato sauce.
Use non-beef meatballs– Use pork, turkey, or chicken meatballs instead.
Open-faced subs– Serve the sub open-faced for an alternate presentation.
Add other vegetables– Such as artichokes, eggplant, or zucchini.
Use leftovers as a pasta topping– Serve the meatballs and veggies atop your favorite pasta.
Ranch meatball subs– Add a dry ranch packet to add even more flavor.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes for a little heat, or add jalapenos for more spice.
Use other mushrooms– Such as shitake, portobello, white button, or crimini.
Tips And Techniques
Use hoagie rolls or other thick bread/buns– They won’t fall apart when filled.
How to release pressure in Instant Pot?– When the timer is finished, turn the knob to quick release.
How to thicken gravy?– Once meatballs and vegetables are mixed back in with the gravy, continue cooking uncovered (while gently mixing often) until gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
Do I need to add water to the Instant Pot? Yes, initially the recipe calls for 1 cup of water so that enough pressure can be created in order to cook the meatballs and vegetables properly.
Use low-sodium gravy packet– This ensures that the recipe is not too salty.
Can I use fresh homemade meatballs instead of frozen? I use frozen meatballs in order to save time and for convenience purposes, but you can use homemade fresh meatballs if you prefer.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I recommend freezing the meatballs and bread separately in a freezer safe bag or container for best results.
Reheat– From thawed in the microwave or in the oven.
More Instant Pot Dinner Ideas
- Instant Pot Flank Steak Tacos
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joe
- Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
- Instant Pot Red Wine Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- Instant Pot Sausage Pasta
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Beef Curry (Indian)
Instant Pot Meatball Sub
Quick and easy instant pot meatball sub recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Full of frozen meatballs, onions, green peppers, mushrooms.
- 2.5 cups Water Divided
- 28 oz. Frozen beef meatballs
- 2 Green peppers Large, Sliced
- 1 Onion Large, Sliced
- 2 cups Baby bella mushrooms Cleaned, Sliced
- 2 packets Brown gravy mix 1 oz. packet each, Low sodium
Place a steamer basket in the instant pot.
Pour 1 cup water.
Add frozen meatballs, green peppers, onions, mushrooms in the steamer basket.
Put the lid on and turn the valve to “Sealing.”
Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is over, do a quick pressure release.
Remove the meatballs and vegetables into a separate bowl.
Remove the steamer basket and discard the liquid.
Turn on the"Sauté" mode.
Pour remaining water (1.5 cups) in the pressure cooker.
Add gravy mix and whisk until mixture is smooth.
Return the meatballs and veggies back into the instant pot.
Mix until combined.
Continue cooking uncovered (while gently mixing often) until gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
Turn off the pressure cooker.
Serve the meatballs and veggies in toasted buttered hoagie rolls with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.