Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy instant pot Mongolian beef recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Tender beef slices are coated in a sweet soy ginger garlic sauce.
This is one of my favorite take-out dishes! This recipe is so simple that you will no longer have a need to order out. The flavor is sweet and savory, and the Instant Pot makes the beef perfectly tender with such minimal effort. Create your own Asian feast by trying my Szechuan Chicken (One Pot) and Chicken Fried Rice (One Pot) along with this recipe.
How to Make Mongolian Beef From Scratch In The Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot to “Saute”mode– Heat oil.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger– Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add beef, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, red chili flakes– Mix everything together.
- Put the lid on– Turn up the the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Meat/Stew” mode or “High Pressure” mode and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open lid– Mix in green onions.
- Garnish– With sesame seeds and enjoy!
Mongolian Sauce/Mongolian Marinade
Combine the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
What’s the difference between Mongolian Beef and Szechuan Beef?
Mongolian beef tends to be a little less spicy than Szechuan beef, and the Mongolian beef also uses Hoisin sauce as an ingredient in addition to soy sauce and brown sugar.
What Sides to Serve with Spicy Mongolian Beef Stir Fry Recipe?
Egg Drop Soup (One Pot) is another delicious side to serve alongside this Mongolian beef.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze- In a freezer safe container for up to 1 month.
Reheat– Thaw, if frozen, and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Add noodles- Such as rice noodles, ramen, or egg noodles.
Add vegetables– Such as broccoli, onions, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, zucchini, baby corn, or bok choy.
Adjust the spice– Add more or less red chili flakes depending on you preference.
Add nuts– Such as cashews or peanuts.
Make it gluten free– Simply use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce, or use gluten-free soy sauce.
Make it a salad– Serve the beef over your favorite greens such as spinach, romaine, or in a lettuce wrap with butter lettuce.
Adjust the amount of sauce– Add more, by doubling the sauce ingredients, or use less depending on your personal preference.
Make it a soup– Mix in 1-2 cups boiled ramen noodles and more broth (per your desired consistency) at the end to make a very filling meal.
Make it healthier– To make it healthier, use honey or molasses instead of brown sugar.
Tips And Techniques
How to thicken sauce? Make sauce thinner? Mix in 1tbsp of a cornstarch slurry to make the sauce thicker. I did not think it was necessary for this recipe. If you want to thin the sauce, simply add more water.
What type of beef to use? I used thinly sliced flank steak, but you can also use top round beef, sirloin, skirt steak, or even New York strip.
Use low sodium soy sauce– To prevent the dish from becoming too salty.
Don’t replace the brown sugar with granulated sugar– brown sugar has a deeper, richer flavor.
Make sure to allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally– This allows the beef to continue cooking and becoming tender.
Use fresh onion, ginger, and garlic as opposed to powders– Fresh always provides the best and most vibrant flavor.
More Asian Recipes
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- Chicken Pad Thai (One Pot)
- Chinese Bourbon Chicken (One Pot)
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken
- Crockpot Orange Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken (One Pot)
- Honey Sesame Chicken (One Pot)
- Black Pepper Chicken (One Pot)
- Cashew Chicken (One Pot)
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Quick and easy instant pot Mongolian beef recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 mins. Tender beef slices are coated in a sweet soy ginger garlic sauce.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/3 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1 tsp Ginger Freshly grated
- 1.5 pounds Beef Thinly sliced, I used flank steak but you can also use flank steak or top round beef, sirloin, skirt steak, or even New York strip
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce Low sodium
- 1/2 cup Water Low sodium
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Green onions Chopped
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds For garnish
Turn Instant Pot to “Saute”mode and heat oil.
Add onion, garlic, ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes until garlic and ginger are fragrant.
Add beef, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, red chili flakes and mix everything together.
Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.” Select “Meat/Stew” mode or "High Pressure" mode and set the timer for 10 minutes.
When the cook time is over, let the pressure release naturally.
Then, open lid and mix in green onions.
Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.