Best Spaghetti and Meatballs (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy spaghetti and meatballs recipe, homemade with simple ingredients over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with tomatoes, Italian herbs, meatballs.
My family loves pasta for dinner and today’s meal is classic comfort food that always hits the mark. It’s just as delicious as this One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo and Italian Sausage Pasta (One Pot).
How to make spaghetti and meatballs recipe from scratch?
- Cook meatballs– Until golden brown.
- Add pasta sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, broth, pasta– Mix everything until combined.
- Cover and cook– Until pasta is softened.
- Add cheese– And mix.
- Enjoy– Garnish with more cheese, parsley and dig in!
What sides to serve with spaghetti meatballs recipe?
Bread is a classic choice. Try garlic bread, cheesy breadsticks, soft dinner rolls or Bruschetta (One Pan).
Roasted vegetables make a great side dish for creamy pasta. Try these Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan).
Soup also compliments this pasta perfectly. I suggest one of these: Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot) or this Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (One Pot).
Salads are always a popular side. Try this Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl) or this Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (One Bowl) or these Marinated Tomatoes (One Bowl).
Baked spaghetti and meatballs– Prepare the recipe, as per instructions below and then top it off with lots of shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
Make it creamy- Mix in some heavy cream at the end or even some alfredo sauce.
Add other proteins– Such as bacon, shrimp, shredded chicken, leftover shredded Thanksgiving turkey (One Pan), or Italian sausage.
Topping options– Fresh basil, parsley, green onions and/or shredded cheese
Try other herbs and spices- I used Italian seasoning but you can use another seasoning blend like Mexican, Indian, Cajun for a different flavor profile.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes for some heat or replace pasta sauce with Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce (One Pot).
Make it healthier- Use low fat cheese and turkey meatballs instead of beef meatballs.
Try different cheeses– Such as ricotta, cream cheese or goat cheese.
Add vegetables– Such as a frozen veggie blend, spinach or zucchini.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I don’t recommended freezing leftovers because pasta does not thaw well and the texture is different.
Reheat– In the microwave.
Tips and Techniques
Use low sodium broth– Because it prevents this meal from becoming too salty.
Broth vs. Water– Either can be used. It’s a personal choice.
Use a non-stick pot– That’s because this prevents the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
Stir often– Because this prevents the pasta from clumping, and will also help keep the pasta from burning.
How to make pasta sauce thicker? Let it cook uncovered until excess liquid is absorbed or evaporated.
How to make pasta thinner? Add more broth or water until you reach the desired consistency.
Homemade meatballs vs. Store-bought meatballs- Either can be used. I use the store-bought ones because it’s quick and convenient.
More One Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta (One Pot)
- Tomato Basil Pasta (One Pot)
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta (One Pot)
- Basil Pesto Pasta (One Pot)
- Garlic Chicken Pasta (One Pot)
One Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 15 Meatballs, Frozen
- 2.5 cups Marinara sauce, Or store-bought pasta sauce
- 1.5 cups Tomatoes , Diced
- 1.5 cups Beef broth, Low sodium, Or water
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 12 oz. Spaghetti, Dry, Uncooked
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, Shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- Heat butter in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs and cook them for a few minutes until they are golden brown.
- Add the pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth (or water), Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Bring everything to a boil and add the uncooked pasta.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the lid and let everything cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure to stir every 5 minutes to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pot.
- Add a little more broth or water, if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and stir in parmesan cheese and top it all off with mozzarella cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be reheated in the microwave.