Crispy Zucchini Fries (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy, crispy zucchini fries recipe (courgette fries), homemade with simple ingredients in one pan in 30 minutes. Full of breadcrumb topping, parmesan cheese and Italian herbs.
Need a delicious way to feed your kids, and maybe your husband, some more vegetables? These fries will please even the pickiest, non-vegetable eating, family members! Cover anything in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, and it becomes instantly delicious. If you are a zucchini enthusiast like I am, then try this Zucchini Pizza (One Pot) and these Stuffed Zucchini Boats (One Pot) for a low-carb healthy dish.
How To Make Baked Crispy Zucchini Fries Recipe From Scratch?
- Preheat a dark baking tray– Spray generously with oil.
- Make “Flour Mixture”– By mixing together flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Make egg mixture- By whisking 2 eggs.
- Mix “Breadcrumb Mixture”– By mixing together breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Coat the zucchini sticks– By dipping in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on heated baking tray- And spray zucchini with oil.
- Bake– Until crispy and golden brown.
- Garnish– With parsley.
What To Serve With Courgette Fries Recipe?
These would make a great side to a variety of sandwiches, wraps and burgers:
- Loose Meat Sandwich (Tavern Sandwich)
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes Sandwich
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Sandwich
- BBQ Shredded Beef Sandwich (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Meatball Sub Sandwich
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
Chicken-based main courses would make a great pairing as the juicy tender meat would compliment the crispy fries perfectly.
- Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Chicken
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken)
- Cajun Chicken (One Pot)
- Bacon Ranch Chicken (One Pot)
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken (One Pot)
These would also be delicious with any summer cookout foods such as grilled burgers, brats, hot dogs, even fish or BBQ ribs.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Into Sticks?
- Trim off both ends of the zucchini.
- Cut the zucchini in half across the circumference of the zucchini creating 2 portions, about 3 inch long chunks.
- Then, slice each chunk lengthwise in 1/2 inch slabs.
- Cut each slab into 1/2 inch wide and 3 inch long sticks.
How To Bread Zucchini?
Coat the zucchini sticks one by one in the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then thickly coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. This should be done individually for each zucchini stick. Don’t just dump them in the Ziploc bags!
Why Are My Zucchini Fries Soggy? How To Fix Soggy Fries?
This can be because the fries were overlapping during baking. Also, make sure to pat the zucchini pieces dry before coating them. Any excess water can cause the fries to be soggy instead of crispy.
Variations For Breaded Zucchini Sticks
Make it gluten free– You can use gluten-free flour. I tested it with rice flour and it makes the fries even more crispy than regular flour!
Squash fries– Use long yellow squash instead.
Make it spicy– Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
Add mozzarella cheese- Add a thin slice of string cheese, smaller than the zucchini stick, and batter them together for a zucchini mozzarella stick.
Try other seasonings– Such as Cajun, Mexican, or Curry seasoning instead of Italian.
Try seasoned breadcrumbs– For a different flavor profile.
Tips And Techniques For Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
Use a preheated pan– This is important to making crispy fries because they start cooking and sizzling immediately when placed on the hot pan.
Don’t line the pan– Because this makes them soggy!
Grease the pan very well with oil– Because this prevents them from sticking to the pan.
Don’t flip the zucchinis during baking– Simply broil them in the final 5 minutes of cooking to crisp up the tops.
How do you know zucchinis are done baking? They are done when the tops are golden brown, and you can pick them up without them falling apart.
Fresh zucchini vs. Frozen zucchini– Fresh must be used. Frozen zucchini contains too much water and will never crisp, leaving a soggy mess.
Don’t overcrowd the pan– Because this will create soggy fries.
Fried zucchini fries vs. Baked zucchini fries– The baked version is healthier because it doesn’t use oil to fry the fries in but they can be deep-fries too. I prefer the baked version.
Adjust seasonings– Add more or less based on your personal preference.
Coat the zucchini sticks individually– Do not dump them all into the Ziploc bags. Take the time to coat them one by one to ensure that they are completely and evenly coated. This produces the best and crispiest results.
Make sure all zucchini sticks are cut up about the same size– Because this ensures they will all be done baking around the same time.
Refrigerate– These are best served immediately, but can be stored in a sealed container for up to 1-2 days but they won’t be as crispy any more.
Freeze– I don’t recommend freezing them, as they will be a soggy mess upon thawing.
Reheat– In the air fryer or oven for best results.
More One Pot Appetizers
One Pan Crispy Zucchini Fries (Courgette Fries)
- 2 Eggs, Large
- 3-4 Zucchinis, Medium size, Washed, Patted dry, Cut into half inch sticks
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped
- Preheat a dark baking tray (without foil or parchment paper) that's been sprayed generously with oil at 425 degrees F.
- In a Ziploc bag, add all the "Flour Mixture" ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a second Ziploc bag, add 2 eggs and whisk until combined.
- In a third Ziploc bag, add all the "Breadcrumb Mixture" ingredients and mix until combined.
- Coat the zucchini sticks one by one in the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then thickly coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. This should be done individually for each zucchini stick. Don't just dump them in the Ziploc bags!
- Place these coated zucchinis on the heated baking tray. It will start sizzling right away, which helps to make them crispy.
- Spray tops with oil.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Broil in the final 5 minutes to make the tops golden brown and crispy too.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best and crispy when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days and reheated in the oven or air fryer.