Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy baked or oven roasted hasselback sweet potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pan. Loaded with garlic herb butter! Great for Fall and Thanksgiving!
They pair perfectly with almost any meat such as ham, turkey, steak, or chicken. They are crispy on the outside and tender and flavorful on the inside.
Their stunning presentation makes them an eye-catcher at any dinner party.
How to make make hasselback sweet potatoes?
- Cut potatoes– Use a knife to make thin slices along the top of each sweet potato, being very careful not to cut all the way through. Place them on a baking tray.
- Add butter– Brush half the melted butter all over the potatoes.
- Bake– The best temperature is 425 degrees F for about 50-55 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add butter again– Brush remainder of melted butter halfway through baking, especially between the slices.
- Brush potatoes with more butter– Brush with the butter that has dripped in the pan.
- Enjoy! Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
What to serve with hasselback sweet potato recipe?
They are especially popular as a “sweet potato side dish” during the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays because of their beautiful presentation.
How to cut hasselback sweet potatoes?
- Wash them– Since you leave the skin on for this recipe, make sure to wash the skin of the potatoes.
- Secure them– Place the potatoes on the flattest side to give you the most stable cutting surface without the potatoes rolling around. Trim off the ends, or a thin slice off the bottom, if needed.
- Set chopsticks– This step is optional, but will help prevent the knife from slicing all the way through. Place chopsticks on both sides of a sweet potato.
- Slice– Using a sharp knife, thinly slice all the way down the sweet potato stopping at the chopsticks, or a half inch from the bottom of the potato.
Hasselback sweet potato casserole– Arrange multiple sliced potatoes in a baking dish. Spray them generously with olive oil. Omit the garlic butter. Sprinkle brown sugar, marshmallows and pecans in the final 2-3 minutes of baking.
Make it sweet– Omit the garlic butter. Prior to serving, drizzle honey on top and sprinkle raisins, pecans or even finely chopped apples or pears.
Add cheese– Sprinkle shredded parmesan, cheddar, or Monterey Jack on top of the potatoes in the last 2 minutes of baking and allow it to melt fully.
Add bacon– Sprinkle crumbled cooked bacon between each slice, prior to serving.
Change up the herbs and spices– Add smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, Greek Seasoning, or Cajun Seasoning.
Microwave hasselback sweet potatoes– These are not as crispy as the oven-baked version but a quick method. Brush potatoes with oil. Slice them in the hasselback style. Place them in a microwave-safe baking dish and brush with melted garlic herb butter (making sure to get between the slices). Microwave on high heat for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and fork tender. Brush with more melted garlic butter and serve immediately.
Garnish and topping options– Add finely chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, chives, green onions, jalapenos, onions, crumbled bacon. A tablespoon of sour cream, guacamole or even Pico De Gallo Salsa on top is also delicious.
Make it spicy– Add cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to add some spice to the potatoes.
Tips and Techniques
Scrub them clean– Since the skin is remaining on for this recipe, the skin needs to be cleaned of any chemicals and/or dirt.
Pat potatoes very dry– If they are moist, they won’t get super crispy.
Brush butter between the slices– This helps them get crisp and adds the flavor deep into the flesh.
Get similar sized potatoes – Uniform size matters because they will bake at the same time.
Grease pan- Otherwise the potato skins will stick to the pan and possibly ruin the hasselback presentation, when they are removed from the pan.
Don’t slice all the way through– Otherwise you will have sweet potato chips.
Homemade garlic herb butter- Store-bought can be used but this is the homemade recipe that my family likes: Mix together 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, 2 tbsp finely minced garlic, 1 tsp finely grated ginger, 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage leaves, 1 tsp fresh chives, 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves, 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, salt to taste, pepper to taste. The amount of herbs can be adjusted, based on your preference.
Chopstick method– This step is optional, but can help if you are not confident in your slicing skills. Place a chopstick on both sides of the potato so that as you slice, you have a natural stopping point. Your knife will hit the chopstick before it slices all the way through the potato. Super easy!
Make ahead instructions– Tastes best when served immediately because they are warm and crispy on the outside. However, you can do the hasselback cuts on them and brush butter on them a day in advance. Place them on the greased baking tray. Transfer the tray to the oven and bake about an hour before you are ready to serve them.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries (One Pan)
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
- Sweet Potato Soup (One Pot)
One Pan Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet potatoes Medium size, Washed, Patted dry
- 1/2 cup Garlic herb butter Homemade or Store-bought, Melted
Use a sharp knife to make thin slices along the top of each sweet potato, being very careful not to cut all the way through. Stop slicing half inch from the bottom.
Place potatoes on a baking tray that's been lined with aluminum foil and lightly greased with oil.
Brush half the melted butter all over the potatoes.
Bake at 425 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
Remove tray from oven.
Brush remainder of the melted butter all over the potatoes and especially between the slices.
Bake again for another 10-15 minutes or until center of the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
Brush potatoes with the butter that has dripped in the pan.
Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days and reheated in the microwave but the skin won’t be crispy any more and a bit soggy.
Happy cooking everyone!