Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best, quick, easy, crispy oven roasted potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pan in 30 minutes. Seasoned with fresh herbs garlic, salt and pepper.
There isn’t anything out there much more comforting than crispy potatoes. These ones are just as delicious as my Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (One Pan).
You can enjoy them any time of day. Serve them as breakfast potatoes, as a side for dinner, or packed in your lunch throughout the week. They can even be made with other vegetables such as these Green Bean and Potatoes (One Pot) recipe.
How to roast potatoes in oven?
- Spread potatoes– Spread in a baking tray, lined with foil paper.
- Prep Potatoes– Drizzle olive oil. Add garlic and sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread them– Spread out the potatoes so that they are not overlapping and bake evenly.
- Bake– At 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden brown on the outside but tender on the inside. Toss halfway through.
- Season– Remove tray and season with extra salt and pepper, if you like.
- Enjoy! Add fresh herbs and toss everything together and serve immediately.
These are the best roast potatoes!
They are crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside and so flavorful with lots of herbs and spices.
What to serve with crispy oven roasted potatoes recipe?
They pair perfectly as a side dish with just about any protein main dish such as chicken (Grilled Chicken Breast), steak (Garlic Butter Steak Bites), ham (Slow Cooker Ham), turkey (Roast Turkey Breast) and even pork or salmon.
They also compliment pot roasts incredibly well. Try one of these:
- Instant Pot Red Wine Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
- Italian Pot Roast (One Pot)
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast
You can also serve them as an appetizer (alongside toothpicks) with various dips.
How long to roast potatoes? What temperature to roast them?
The time varies depending on the temperature you roast them at. At 425 degrees F, it will take about 30-35 minutes to roast them.
This is handy time and temperature guide:
- 350 degrees F : 60-70 minutes
- 375 degrees F : 50-60 minutes
- 425 degrees F: 30-35 minutes
- 450 degrees F- 20-30 minutes
More roasted vegetable recipes
- Oven Roasted Broccoli (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Green Beans (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Carrots (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Asparagus (One Pan)
Herb roasted potatoes and carrots– Add baby carrots and season with parsley, rosemary, and thyme.
Roasted potatoes and onions- Add 1 whole onion that has been diced into big 2 inch chunks.
Roasted red potatoes– Use red potatoes instead of yellow/ gold ones.
Roasted fingerling potatoes– Use Fingerling potatoes. Slice them once lengthwise and roast at 425 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through.
Roasted baby potatoes/ mini potatoes– These can be roasted halved, cubed, or smashed at 425 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
Use whole potatoes– Cover them in oil and season with salt and pepper. Then roast at 425 for 35-40 minutes, making sure to turn halfway through. If they are very large potatoes, they may take up to 1 hour to roast.
Garlic Parmesan roasted potatoes– Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes as soon as you remove tray from oven.
Add other veggies– Such as broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, bell peppers, or eggplant and roast at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Try other herbs and seasonings– Use Cajun, Greek, Indian curry, or Mexican seasonings for variety. Rosemary roasted potatoes are quite popular too.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes or cayenne pepper for more heat.
Tips and Techniques
Do you have to peel potatoes before roasting them? I recommend peeling them for the best overall texture. However, some people prefer not to. If you don’t peel them, make sure to wash and pat them dry to remove dirt and grit from the skin.
What kind of potatoes to use? You can use Russet, Yukon Gold (yellow), red, fingerling, sweet, or just about any type you like. It is up to you! My first choices are Russet and Yukon Gold.
Can you freeze these baked potatoes? No. That’s because they lose their perfect crispy texture when they thaw.
Do you need to soak potatoes before roasting? Do you need to boil them? I don’t do it and I haven’t seen a major difference when I did it. If you want, you can soak potatoes in cold water for up to 1 hour. This removes starch and makes for a fluffier potato. You must pat them dry before baking or else they will end up being soggy. There is no need to boil them at all!
Make ahead instructions- Prepare potatoes according to recipe a few hours in advance, and then reheat at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes to make them crispy again.
Add fresh herbs at the end– That’s because they will burn and turn black during baking. The will taste charred instead of like the fresh flavors they normally contribute.
Cut potatoes small and uniform in size– This allows all of the potatoes to cook at the same rate. If you cut some big and some small, you will end up with some raw and some burned.
Toss them halfway through– This allows the potatoes to evenly caramelize and prevent burning. Also, make sure potatoes are not overlapping to allow them to bake well.
Fresh garlic vs. Garlic powder– Fresh garlic adds such an intensely rich flavor that I prefer, but if all you have is garlic powder that is fine too. They will still taste delicious.
Fresh herbs vs. Dried herbs- Dried herbs can be added before the potatoes are cooked. However, fresh herbs need to be added at the end so that they don’t char. Either works, but I prefer fresh.
One Pan Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Spread potatoes in a baking tray, lined with foil paper.
- Drizzle olive oil.
- Add garlic and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Toss until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread out the potatoes so that they are not overlapping and bake evenly.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden brown on the outside but tender on the inside. Be sure to toss everything halfway through.
- Remove tray from oven and season with extra salt and pepper, if you like.
- Add fresh herbs and toss everything together.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. They can be reheated in the oven to make crispy again.
Happy cooking everyone!