Fried Sausage and Cabbage (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy sausage and cabbage recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with shredded red cabbage, onions, garlic and kielbasa sausage.
I love the color of the red cabbage in this dish. It takes a simple, yet flavorful dish, and makes it beautiful too. It’s so easy and quick to make that even if you forget till the last minute to make dinner, you can still pull this dish off. This Oven Roasted Vegetable and Sausage (One Pan) dish is also just as quick and filling, so make sure to add it to your weekly menu.
How to make fried sausage and cabbage?
- Heat butter and oil– In a pot until butter is fully melted.
- Add sausage– Saute until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and keep aside– Keep the oil and grease.
- In the same oil– Add garlic and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add cabbage, green onions, salt, pepper, liquid smoke– Cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage back into the pot– Mix everything together.
- Serve immediately– Enjoy!
What to serve with fried sausage and cabbage recipe?
This is a complete meal in and of itself so you can add something as simple as applesauce or fresh fruit, or you can pair it with one of your favorite soups. Try my Carrot Ginger Soup (One Pot), Sweet Potato Soup (One Pot), or Roasted Red Pepper Soup (One Pot).
A starch such as potatoes would also make a great addition to this meal. Serve any of following: Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan), Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (One Pot), or Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (One Pan).
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– You can freeze this dish in an airtight freezer bag or container for up to 2 months.
Reheat– In the microwave or on the stovetop.
Add a protein- Such as shrimp, chicken, bacon, or use andouille sausage, or Italian sausage in place of the kielbasa.
Add vegetables– Such as bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, celery, artichokes, or zucchini.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes or a sprinkle of cayenne for more heat.
Add seasoning– Such as Cajun, Mexican, or Italian seasoning.
Add legumes– Such as white beans, black, or pinto beans.
Add herbs– Such as cilantro, parsley, or oregano.
Add a grain– Serve it over rice, quinoa, or even your favorite pasta.
Make a soup– Add chicken or vegetable broth and turn this dish into a soup.
Tips and Techniques
Cook the sausage before the cabbage- This allows you to fry the cabbage in the sausage oil and adds so much rich flavor to this dish.
What cabbage to use? I used red cabbage for the beautiful color, but you can you use green if you prefer it.
Use a non-stick pan– This prevents the sausage from sticking and ripping the pieces of it.
Do I have to use liquid smoke? I love the smoky flavor it adds! You can find it in a bottle at most grocery stores, but if you don’t have it or prefer it, fell free to leave it out.
What sausage to use? Kielbasa is traditionally used, but there are different kinds such as pork, turkey, beef or a combination of the 3. Feel free to use whatever you prefer.
Saute the sausage on both sides– This little crisp will add so much texture to this dish so don’t skip this step.
More One Pot Sausage Recipes
- Sausage and Rice (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Instant Pot Sausage Pasta
- Easy Sausage Gravy (One Pot)
- Crockpot Little Smokies Recipe (Cocktail Sausages)
One Pot Sausage and Cabbage
Quick and easy sausage and cabbage recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with smoked kielbasa sausage.
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 pound Kielbasa sausage Thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic Finely minced
- 1/4 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 1 Red cabbage Small head, Shredded
- 3-4 stalks Green onions Sliced
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1.5 tsp Liquid smoke Optional, Adds smoky flavor
Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pot or pan over medium-high heat until butter is fully melted.
Add sausage and saute until light brown on both sides and cooked through.
Remove from pan and keep aside but don't discard the oil and grease.
In the same oil, add garlic and onions and cook until translucent.
Add cabbage, green onions, salt, pepper, liquid smoke and cook for 7-10 minutes until cabbage is tender.
Add the cooked sausage back into the pot and mix everything together.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.