Apple Coleslaw (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy apple coleslaw recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 15 minutes. Creamy, tangy dressing coats shredded cabbage, carrots, apples. Topped off with cranberries and pecans.
This fresh, bright salad is perfect for potlucks, family gatherings, and even as a light lunch throughout the week. It is wonderful on its own or as a topping. The possibilities are truly endless! This Creamy Coleslaw (One Bowl) and Oil And Vinegar Coleslaw (One Bowl) are 2 more classic options for you to try as well and if you are feeling adventurous, try this Asian Slaw or Coleslaw (One Bowl) or this Easy Carrot Slaw (One Bowl).
How To Make Apple Coleslaw Recipe From Scratch?
- Make dressing– By mixing together yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, ginger powder, salt, pepper.
- Add veggies and nuts– This includes cabbage, carrots, apples, parsley, pecans, cranberries.
- Toss- To combine everything together.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately.
What To Serve With Easy Apple Slaw Recipe?
This fresh slaw makes a wonderful side dish with any beef and chicken main course:
- Smoked, baked or Grilled Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pan)
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- BBQ Shredded Beef (One Pot)
- Pulled pork
- Bbq ribs
- Slow Cooker Ham
You can even use it as a filling/ topping in:
- Sandwiches- Try it in this Loose Meat Sandwich (One Pot) or this Instant Pot Meatball Sub Sandwich
- Tacos- Try it in these Shredded Chicken Tacos (One Pot)
- Stuffed potatoes- Try it in these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Pizzas Try it in these Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix until smooth. Then, store in fridge for up to 1 week or use immediately.
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt Full fat, Plain
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise Full fat
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey Or maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
Variations For Apple Cabbage Slaw
Fennel slaw– Add thinly sliced fennel for even more flavor.
Kale apple slaw– Mix in some washed and chopped kale.
Add other vegetables– Such as broccoli, bell peppers, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts.
Use other types of apples– I use red apples, but you can use green for a tart option if you like. You can even add a combination of apples to mix things up.
Add other nuts– Such as walnuts, pistachios, or cashews.
Add seeds– Such as roasted pumpkin, pepita, or sunflower seeds.
Add other dried fruits- Such as cherries, raisins, apricots, or even dried mango. Make sure they are chopped small.
Add shredded coconut– For added texture and sweetness.
Add juices– Such as lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice.
Add herbs– Such as fresh cilantro, basil, parsley, chives, dill e.t.c.
Add cheese crumbles- Such as blue cheese or feta.
Try onions– Such as thinly sliced green onions, shallots, yellow or white onions for a different flavor.
Tips And Techniques
Adjust amount of vinegar- Add more for a strong tangy flavor or add less for a subtle tanginess.
Use full fat Greek yogurt– Because it very thick and creamy compared to regular yogurt.
Greek yogurt substitute– Sour cream is a decent substitute.
Honey substitute– Try using maple syrup, agave syrip, brown sugar, or granulated sugar. The flavor will change slightly, depending on the sweetener being used.
Will apple brown in coleslaw? The apple cider vinegar is acidic enough that it will help prevent the apples from oxidizing and turning brown.
Why is my coleslaw soggy and runny? How to fix it? Make sure to serve this slaw immediately. It will become more soggy and runny the longer it sits because the vinegar and salt draw water out of the cabbage. Avoid that by serving it right away.
Apple cider vinegar vs. Distilled white vinegar- Apple cider vinegar is brown and made from apples. It also has more nutritional value than distilled white vinegar, and is a better flavor for this coleslaw. You can also use a combination of both vinegars. Distilled vinegar is very strong and doesn’t have the subtle apple flavor.
Homemade cabbage mix vs. Store-bought mix- Either can be used. I like to use the shredded bagged mix because it’s convenient and you save time.
Serve a crowd– Make a bigger batch by doubling or even tripling all the ingredients.
Make ahead instructions– Make the dressing and keep it separately from the veggies in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Then, toss everything together and enjoy.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days, but it won’t be as crunchy anymore.
Freeze– You cannot freeze coleslaw because of the water content in the veggies and fruit. They will not thaw well, and the texture will be very unappetizing.
More One Pot Salad Recipes
- Easy Pear Salad (One Bowl)
- Best Summer Salad (One Bowl)
- Ham Pasta Salad (One Bowl)
- Thai Chicken Salad (One Bowl)
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
One Pot Apple Coleslaw
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, Full fat, Plain
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise, Full fat
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey, Or maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 7 cups Shredded cabbage
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Cut into matchsticks
- 2 Apples, Washed, Diced, Red, Can be cut into matchsticks too
- 1/2 cup Parsley , Fresh, Washed, Finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Pecans, Toasted, Roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup Cranberries
- In a large mixing bowl or salad bowl, make dressing by mixing together yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, ginger powder, salt, pepper until smooth.
- Add cabbage, carrots, apples, parsley, pecans, cranberries and toss to combine everything together.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The slaw won’t be as crunchy any more.