Best Cabbage Soup (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best, quick and easy cabbage soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with shredded cabbage, vegetables and stewed tomatoes. It’s healthy, hearty and flavored with dried Italian herbs. Also known as “weight loss soup.”
This is the best cabbage soup, full of flavor, healthy ingredients, and so easy to make! It is the perfect dish to make if you meal prep for lunch throughout the week. The flavors will only deepen with time so it makes an excellent choice. Fried Sausage And Cabbage (One Pot) and Fried Cabbage with Bacon (One Pot), are two additional great ways to get some cabbage into your healthy diet.
How to make Best Cabbage Soup (One Pot)?
- Heat oil and butter– In a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic– Saute until garlic is fragrant and onion is translucent.
- Add broth, stewed tomatoes, cabbage, celery, frozen vegetables, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning– Mix until combined.
- Cook– Uncovered for 30 minutes over Medium heat.
- Remove from heat– Mix in 1-2 tsp lemon juice.
- Garnish– With fresh parsley and enjoy!
What to serve with Best Cabbage Soup?
I love to serve foods you can dip into the soup such as biscuits, rolls, garlic bread, or breadsticks.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days
Freeze- In a freezer safe container or bag for up to 1 month.
Reheat- From thawed, in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Red cabbage soup– Use red instead of or in addition to the green cabbage.
Vegetable soup with cabbage– Combine this Easy Vegetable Soup (One Pot) with the cabbage for a hearty and veggie filled version.
Ham and cabbage soup– Add leftover Slow Cooker Ham for protein packed soup.
Hamburger cabbage soup– Add ground beef for a hearty soup.
Chicken cabbage soup– Add rotisserie or cooked and cubed chicken.
Beef cabbage soup– Add beef from leftover roasts or add in some cooked stew meat.
Sausage cabbage soup– Add Italian, kielbasa, or andouille for additional flavor and heartiness.
Add beans- Such as black, garbanzo, or cannelini beans.
Add potatoes– Add cubed white potatoes, or even sweet potatoes.
Make it creamy– Add heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or even jalapenos for some heat.
Add seasoning– Such as Mexican, Cajun, or Curry seasoning for flavor twist.
Add garnish– Such as a dollop of sour cream, cilantro, avocado, fried garlic, or fried onions.
Add a carb– Such as white or brown rice or your favorite pasta.
Tips and Techniques
This is different than cabbage roll soup– This soup does not contain rice or ground beef like cabbage roll soup. It is a lighter and lower calorie soup.
How to make soup thicker? Continue cooking without the lid until liquid is reduced to your desired thickness.
How to make soup thinner? Add more broth or water.
Use low sodium ingredients- That prevents the meal from becoming too salty. Especially with regards to butter and broth.
What kind of cabbage to use? I use a small sized green cabbage, but you can also use a bag of shredded coleslaw mix instead, or red cabbage if you prefer.
What kind of vegetables to use? I use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Do I drain the stewed tomatoes? No, you do not need to drain them. You can add the tomatoes and liquid into the soup.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less based on your personal preference.
More One Pot Soups
- Carrot Ginger Soup (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Mexican Soup
- Easy Lentil Soup (One Pot)
- Split Pea Soup (One Pot)
One Pot Cabbage Soup
Quick and easy cabbage soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients over stovetop in 30 minutes. Loaded with shredded cabbage, vegetables and stewed tomatoes.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 8 cups Broth Chicken or vegetable based, Low sodium
- 1 can Stewed tomatoes 14.5 oz. can
- 1 Cabbage Small size, Shredded, Can be roughly chopped instead, Can also use a bag of shredded coleslaw mix instead, About 4 packed cups
- 2 stalks Celery Diced
- 1 cup Frozen vegetables Combination of green beans, carrots, peas, corn
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning Adjust according to your taste
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice Adjust according to your taste
- 1 tbsp Parsley Fresh, Roughly chopped
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant and onion is translucent.
Add broth, stewed tomatoes, cabbage, celery, frozen vegetables, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and mix until combined.
Cook uncovered for 30 minutes over Medium heat until all the vegetables are tender and the flavors have developed.
Remove from heat and mix in 1-2 tsp lemon juice.
Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.