Green Bean Casserole (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy French’s green bean casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. Rich, creamy, topped off with crispy fried onions.
This is also known as “green bean bake,” or “string bean casserole” but regardless of what you call it, all I know is that this dish is a staple at many Thanksgiving gatherings. It is also the best side dish anytime of year. No need to save it for a special holiday! It’s rich, creamy, and comes together so quickly. Make sure to try my Green Beans and Potatoes (One Pot) and Sauteed Green Beans (One Pot) or even this Three Bean Salad (One Bowl) this season as well.
How To Make Best Green Bean Casserole from Scratch?
- Mix ingredients in baking dish– This includes cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, green beans, fried onions.
- Bake uncovered- Without any foil paper.
- Mix– Toss everything together
- Add topping- This include crispy fried onions.
- Bake- Until top is golden brown.
- Enjoy– Add fresh herbs as garnish, if you like and dig in!
What To Serve With Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe?
You can also serve it with chicken. Try these recipes:
- Chicken and Potatoes (One Pot)
- Lemon Pepper Chicken (One Pan)
- Paprika Chicken (One Pot)
- Grilled Chicken Breast (One Pan)
This Thanksgiving casserole goes well with other Fall sides too:
- Candied Carrots (One Pot)
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (One Pot)
Also, be sure to add these turkey recipes to complete your Thanksgiving menu:
Beef goes really well with today’s dish. Try these:
If you are a fan of ham, serve this side alongside my super popular Slow Cooker Ham, especially for the holidays.
Salads are always a good healthy choice. Be sure to try one of these:
Refrigerate– Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days but the fried onions won’t be as crispy any more.
Freeze- I don’t recommend freezing leftovers since the milk mixture has a tendency to separate upon thawing.
Reheat– In the microwave or stovetop, noting that the fried onions will no longer be crispy.
Fresh green bean casserole with cheese– Use fresh green beans that are washed, trimmed and patted dry. Also, add shredded mozzarella or cheddar, Parmesan, Gouda, or even Swiss cheese in the mixture as well as the topping.
Loaded green bean casserole– Add bacon crumbles and top it with lots of fresh chives and shredded cheese.
Add proteins– Such as cooked ground beef, shredded chicken, sliced sausages, cubed ham. All the proteins should already be cooked through before being added.
Healthy vegan green bean casserole (dairy free)- Use vegan butter and vegan cream of mushroom soup, and almond milk in place of whole milk.
Use cream of chicken– In place of cream of mushroom soup, if you prefer that flavor.
Make it gluten- free– Use gluten free fried onions, and coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Add seasonings– Such as Italian, Mexican, Cajun, or Greek blend for a flavor twist.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes for a kick,.
Add nuts– Such as toasted walnuts, pecans, or almonds to the topping. It adds a wonderful crunch.
Add other vegetables– Such as caramelized onions, broccoli or red bell peppers.
Other topping ideas–The classic choice is crispy fried onions but you can try a mixture of cornflakes and butter or crumbled butter crackers or Ritz crackers. Get creative and have fun cooking!
Tips And Techniques
Fresh green beans vs. Canned green beans– I used canned green beans to save time, but you can use fresh green beans that are washed and trimmed just as easily. The cook time will be slightly longer, when using fresh beans.
Cream of mushroom soup substitute– You can use cream of chicken, cream of celery, or even sour cream with finely diced mushrooms, if you prefer.
Use whole milk– Because this adds richness, creaminess, and creates the best overall flavor.
Drain and rinse canned green beans– This washes off all the preservatives, and also ensures that there is not too much liquid. Furthermore, it prevents the casserole from getting soggy.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder based on your personal preference.
Bake uncovered– This helps provide the best texture. If you cover it, the excess liquid does not evaporate and it creates a soggy watery mess.
How to fix soggy casserole? Bake uncovered until excess liquid is reduced. Also, be sure to measure your ingredients properly before you start cooking to prevent this from happening in the first place.
How to fix dry casserole? Add some more milk or broth and bake for a few additional minutes.
More One Pot Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (One Pan)
- Meatball Casserole (One Pot)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pot)
One Pot Green Bean Casserole
- In a large baking dish, add cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and mix until combined.
- Mix in green beans.
- Gently fold in only 1/2 cup fried onions.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently mix everything together.
- Top it all off off with the remaining fried onions.
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes until top is golden brown. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop. Please note that the fried onions will no longer be as crispy any more.