Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy, crispy zucchini chips recipe (courgette chips), homemade with simple ingredients in one pan in 30 minutes. Covered in breadcrumb topping, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
I love the spotlight that zucchini has developed in the past few years. It is such a versatile vegetable that doesn’t have much personality, but can be transformed into greatness with just a few simple, on-hand ingredients. Simply add a little breadcrumb coating and seasoning, and your veggie becomes a crispy, bursting with flavor, savory chip! Your kids won’t even care there is a veggie inside it. They are that good! These Crispy Zucchini Fries, Zucchini Pizza, and Stuffed Zucchini Boats are proof that zucchini can take any junk food, and make it a little healthier, and just as delicious.
How To Make Baked Zucchini Chips Recipe From Scratch That Are Not Soggy?
- Prep baking tray– Preheat a dark baking tray that’s been sprayed with oil.
- Make flour mixture– By mixing flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Make egg mixture– By whisking together eggs.
- Make breadcrumb mixture– By mixing breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Coat the sliced zucchini– In the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake– Until tops golden brown and crispy.
What To Serve With Courgette Chips Recipe?
These would make a great side to a variety of sandwiches, wraps and burgers:
- Loose Meat Sandwich (Tavern Sandwich)
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes Sandwich
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Sandwich
- BBQ Shredded Beef Sandwich (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Meatball Sub Sandwich
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
- Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Ham And Cheese Sliders (One Pan)
Chicken–based main courses would make a great pairing as the juicy tender meat would compliment the crispy fries perfectly.
- Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Chicken
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken)
- Cajun Chicken (One Pot)
- Bacon Ranch Chicken (One Pot)
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken (One Pot)
- Oven Baked Spatchcock Chicken (One Pan)
- Paprika Chicken (One Pot)
These would also be delicious with summer cookout foods such as grilled burgers, brats, hot dogs, shrimp, fish or BBQ ribs. Try these Instant Pot BBQ Ribs.
If you are fond of pork or ham, these go great alongside Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Into Circles?
- Cut off both ends of the zucchini.
- Then, using a sharp knife cut circular slices as thinly as you can while also making the slices even.
- If you do not have good knife skills, or just want something faster, you can use a mandolin slicer to help create thin and even slices.
How to Bread Zucchini?
Coat the zucchini circles one by one in the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then thickly coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. This should be done individually for each chip in order to coat them properly. Don’t just dump them in the Ziploc bags all at once!
Why Are My Zucchini Chips Soggy? How To Fix it?
This can be because the chips were overlapping during baking. Spread them out on the baking tray to allow even baking. Also, make sure to pat the zucchini circles dry before coating them. Any excess water can cause the chips to be soggy instead of crispy. Cutting the circles too thick can also make the chips soggy. Slice them as thinly as possible. Make sure to place them on a preheated baking tray because this allows them to begin cooking immediately and makes for the crispiest chip.
Variations For Crispy Zucchini Chips
Fried chips– Fry them in oil on the stovetop.
Air fryer chips– Fry at 400 degrees for 4 minutes, flip, and fry for 4 more minutes or until crispy on both sides.
Use flavored breadcrumbs– This will save you time because you won’t have to add any spices and herbs.
Make it gluten free– You can use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Make it spicy– Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
Try other seasonings– Such as Cajun, Mexican, or Curry seasoning instead of Italian.
Squash chips– Use yellow squash cut into circles instead of zucchini.
Tips And Techniques
Cut zucchini evenly– This allows all them to bake evenly and at the same time. You don’t want some slices to be baked and others still needing time.
Don’t cut thick slices– Because they will end up watery and cause the chips to become soggy.
Don’t line pan and preheat it– This is important to making crispy fries because they start cooking and sizzling immediately when placed on the hot pan. Lining the pan prevents this from happening causing them to be soggy.
Grease the pan very well with oil– Because this prevents them from sticking to the pan, and keeps the chips intact.
Don’t flip the zucchinis during baking– Simply broil them in the final 5 minutes of cooking to crisp up the tops. Flipping them can remove the breaded coating.
How do you know zucchinis are done baking? You know they are done when the tops are golden brown.
Fresh zucchini vs. Frozen zucchini– Fresh must be used. Frozen zucchini contains too much water and will never crisp, leaving a soggy mess.
Adjust seasonings– Add more or less based on your personal preference.
Coat the zucchini circles individually– Do not dump them all into the Ziploc bag at once. Take the time to coat them one by one to ensure that they are completely and evenly coated. This produces the best and crispiest results. You won’t regret the extra time spent doing this!
Refrigerate– These chips are best served immediately, but can be stored in a sealed container for up to 1-2 days but they won’t be as crispy any more.
Freeze– I don’t recommend freezing them, as they will become a soggy mess when thawed.
Reheat– In the air fryer or oven for best results.
More One Pot Appetizers
- Garlic Cheese Bombs (One Pan)
- Cheesy Spinach Puffs (One Pan)
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (One Pan)
- Cocktail Meatballs (One Pot)
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza (One Pan)
- Caprese Skewers (One Pan)
- Bacon Wrapped Dates (One Pan)
One Pan Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips
- 2 Eggs, Large
- 2 Zucchinis, Medium size, Washed, Patted dry, Cut into thin quarter inch circles
- Preheat a dark baking tray (without foil or parchment paper) that's been sprayed generously with oil at 400 degrees F.
- In a Ziploc bag, add all the "Flour Mixture" ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a second Ziploc bag, add eggs and whisk until combined.
- In a third Ziploc bag, add all the "Breadcrumb Mixture" ingredients and mix until combined.
- Coat the zucchini circles one by one in the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then thickly coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. This should be done individually for each zucchini slice. Don't just dump them in the Ziploc bags!
- Place these coated zucchinis on the heated baking tray. It will start sizzling right away, which helps to make them crispy.
- Spray tops with oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Broil in the final 5 minutes to make the tops golden brown and crispy too.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best and crispy when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days and reheated in the oven or air fryer.