Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy instant pot cream of mushroom chicken recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Full of mushroom soup, fresh button mushrooms, garlic, onions, butter.
I love the delicious combination of ingredients in this recipe. Mushrooms add a soft, juicy, delicious taste to the chicken that will make your mouth water. I can’t wait for you to try it! You can also try these other mushroom recipes: Creamy Mushroom Pasta (One Pot) and Mushroom Rice Pilaf (One Pot).
How to make instant pot cream of mushroom chicken recipe from scratch?
- Use “Sauté” mode– And Heat half the butter and oil.
- Sauté- Chicken, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove– From pressure cooker, set aside.
- Add- Remaining butter and oil.
- Toss in and sauté– Onions, garlic, and mushrooms until garlic is fragrant and onions are softened.
- Transfer– Chicken back into the pressure cooker.
- Add water– And mix until combined.
- Pour- Cream of mushroom soup on top, but do not mix.
- Put the lid on– And turn the the valve to “Sealing.”
- Set timer- For 6 minutes on “Manual” mode.
- Quick pressure release- When time is up, moving the valve to “Venting”
- Remove lid– And gently stir everything together.
- Cook uncovered– On “Saute” mode to evaporate/reduce excess liquid and thicken the gravy/sauce.
What sides to serve with chicken with mushroom sauce?
This recipe goes great with a good starchy base, such as quinoa, egg noodles, pasta, zucchini noodles, or rice. Here are some great recipes and ideas to get you started on a complete and delicious meal:
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes (One Pan)
- Instant Pot Vegetable Pasta
- Garlic Lemon Pasta (One Pot)
- Tomato Basil Pasta (One Pot)
- Parsley Potatoes (One Pot)
Variations for mushroom chicken
Chicken mushroom soup-Instead of using cream of mushroom, try other flavors, such as cream of chicken soup.
Add more broth– For a more savory flavor and soupy consistency.
Casserole version– Make a cream of mushroom chicken and rice casserole by putting all the ingredients in a greased baking dish with cooked rice. Top it off with some shredded cheese and pop it in the oven for an easy one pan meal.
Make it creamy- Add heavy cream, but make sure to add it at the very end so that it doesn’t separate.
Add Vegetables-Make this dish more more healthy by adding in some chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, fresh green beans, zucchini, or yellow squash.
Tips and Techniques for creamy chicken and mushroom
- Don’t over-mix– Or stir too much because that will break up the chicken and mushrooms.
- Don’t mix in the cream of mushroom soup– Until after pressure is released, because it can stick to the bottom of the pot and lead to a burn notice.
- Use nonstick pot– In pressure cooker. They sell those separately online and are well worth the money. I really recommend it, because it is less likely that your food will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan, which consequently makes for a faster, easier clean-up.
- Broth vs. water– You can use either, but make sure to use low use low sodium broth so that your dish is not too salty.
- What mushrooms to use?– Use either white mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms, but make sure they are washed and sliced.
- Whole chicken breast vs. chicken cubes– Either will work great for this recipe.
- What cut of chicken to use? You can use various cuts, but thigh drumsticks and breasts work best.
- Use unsalted butter– And low sodium cream of mushroom soup to avoid the dish tasting overly salty.
- Brown chicken first– This is important because it gives the chicken a better texture and flavor for this dish as opposed to a more soft, watery texture that falls apart.
- For firmer crispier mushrooms– Sauté and then remove them. Mix them in at the end.
- Add more Italian seasoning– For a more strong Italian base flavor.
- Garnish– I used fresh parsley, because I think it looks yummy and adds a nice, light flavor. However, you can use Basil, Rosemary, or other herbs.
Refrigerator- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Freezer- Cool and place in a labeled airtight container for up to 1 month.
More Instant pot chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Curry Chicken (Indian)
- Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Jambalaya (Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp)
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken)
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 pounds Chicken breast, Cut into 1-2 inch cubes, Can also use whole breasts
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , Finely minced
- 2 cups Mushrooms, Cleaned, Sliced, White mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Water, Or low sodium broth
- 1 can Cream of mushroom soup , 10.5 oz. can, Low sodium
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and saute for few minutes until no longer pink. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pressure cooker and keep aside.
- Next, add remaining butter and oil.
- When it's heated, add onions, garlic, mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and onions are partially softened.
- Transfer the chicken back in the pressure cooker.
- Add water and mix until combined.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup on top. Do not mix.
- Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.”
- Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 6 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, turn the valve to “Venting” and do a quick pressure release.
- Remove lid and gently stir everything together.
- Cook uncovered on "Saute" mode for or a little longer to evaporate/reduce excess liquid and thicken the gravy/sauce. Don't over-mix or stir too much because that would break up the chicken and mushrooms.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.