Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy instant pot cream of mushroom chicken recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Full of mushroom soup, fresh button mushrooms, garlic, onions, butter.
I love the delicious combination of ingredients in this recipe. Mushrooms add a soft, juicy, delicious taste to the sauce. Plus, the chicken is so tender that it will make your mouth water. I can’t wait for you to try it! You can also try these other mushroom recipes: Creamy Mushroom Pasta (One Pot) and Mushroom Rice Pilaf (One Pot).
How to make instant pot cream of mushroom chicken recipe from scratch?
- Sauté chicken along with herbs- Until no longer pink.
- Remove chicken– And keep aside.
- Sauté onions, and mushrooms- Until softened.
- Add water, sauteed chicken– And mix until combined.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup- But do not mix.
- Cover- And cook.
- Cook uncovered– Until excess liquid is reduced.
What sides to serve with chicken with mushroom sauce?
This recipe goes great with:
- Pasta– Plain boiled pasta is delicious or try it alongside this Garlic Lemon Pasta (One Pot) or Tomato Basil Pasta (One Pot)
- Rice– Steamed rice is perfect or this Coconut Rice (One Pot).
- Quinoa– Lightly salted and steamed is perfect.
- Zucchini noodles (zoodles)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Salads– Such as this Cucumber Radish Salad (One Bowl) or this Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl).
- You can also use it as a stuffing in Stuffed Zucchini Boats (One Pan) or Easy Stuffed Pumpkin (One Pan).
Variations for mushroom chicken
Chicken mushroom soup-Instead of using cream of mushroom soup, try other flavors, such as cream of chicken soup.
Add more broth– For a thinner soupy consistency.
Cream of mushroom chicken and rice casserole- Prepare this recipe as per instructions below and place then in a greased baking dish with cooked rice. Top it off with some shredded cheese and pop it in the oven until topping is melted and bubbly.
Make it creamy- Add heavy cream, but make sure to add it at the very end so that it doesn’t separate.
Try other meat- Like ham, beef, or ham.
Add vegetables-Make this dish more more healthy by adding in some chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, fresh green beans, zucchini, or yellow squash.
Garnish options– I used fresh parsley, because I think it looks yummy and adds a nice, light flavor. However, you can use fresh basil, rosemary, or other herbs.
Try other seasonings– I used Italian seasoning but you can use any seasoning blend of your choice for a different flavor profile.
Tips and Techniques for creamy chicken and mushroom
Don’t over-mix– Or stir too much because that will break up the chicken and mushrooms.
Don’t mix in the cream of mushroom soup– Until after pressure is released, because it can stick to the bottom of the pot and lead to a burn notice.
Use nonstick pot in pressure cooker. They sell those separately online and are well worth the money. I really recommend it, because it is less likely that your food will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan, which consequently makes for a faster, easier clean-up.
Broth vs. Water– You can use either, but I highly recommend using broth for added flavor.
What mushrooms to use?– Use either white mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms, but make sure they are washed and sliced.
Whole chicken breast vs. Chicken cubes– Either will work great for this recipe.
What cut of chicken to use? You can use various cuts, but thighs, drumsticks and breasts work best.
Use unsalted butter and low sodium cream of mushroom soup and low sodium broth- Because it avoids the dish from tasting overly salty.
Brown chicken first– This is important because it gives the chicken a better texture and flavor for this dish as opposed to a more soft, watery texture that falls apart.
For firmer crispier mushrooms– Sauté and then remove them and keep aside. Mix them in at the end.
Add more Italian seasoning– For a more strong Italian base flavor.
Use full fat cream of mushroom soup- For creamiest, richest end result.
How to thicken sauce? Continue cooking uncovered on the “Saute” mode until excess liquid is evaporated.
How to make sauce thinner? Mix in some water or broth.
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Freezer- Cool and place in a labeled airtight container for up to 1 month.
Reheat– In microwave or stovetop.
More Instant pot chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry (Indian)
- Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Jambalaya (Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp)
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken)
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 pounds Chicken breast, Cut into 1-2 inch cubes, Can also use whole breasts
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , Finely minced
- 2 cups Mushrooms, Cleaned, Sliced, White mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Water, Or low sodium broth
- 1 can Cream of mushroom soup , 10.5 oz. can, Low sodium
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and saute for few minutes until no longer pink. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pressure cooker and keep aside.
- Next, add remaining butter and oil.
- When it's heated, add onions, garlic, mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and onions are partially softened.
- Transfer the chicken back in the pressure cooker.
- Add water and mix until combined.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup on top. Do not mix.
- Put the lid on and turn up the the valve to “Sealing.”
- Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 6 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, turn the valve to “Venting” and do a quick pressure release.
- Remove lid and gently stir everything together.
- Cook uncovered on "Saute" mode for or a little longer to evaporate/reduce excess liquid and thicken the gravy/sauce. Don't over-mix or stir too much because that would break up the chicken and mushrooms.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.