Microwave Baked Potatoes (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Super quick and easy microwave baked potatoes recipe, homemade in just one pot in 10 minutes. Perfectly tender, soft and fluffy every time!
Potatoes are a staple, especially because of their versatility. A classic way to enjoy them is to bake them, but that can take 30 minutes to an hour in the oven! If you are short on time, this recipe will be a lifesaver. On days when you have more time to bake, check out these yummy Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan) and Roasted Baby Potatoes (One Pan).
How to make easy microwave baked potatoes recipe from scratch? How to cook or bake a potato in the microwave?
- Pierce potatoes– With a fork.
- Place potatoes- In a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave– For for 8-12 minutes.
- Cut– In half lengthwise.
- Sprinkle toppings– And enjoy!
How long to microwave a potato?
When cooked in the a 1000 watt microwave, the approximate cook times are as follows:
- Large potatoes- Start with 10 minutes, then increase with 1 minute increments until fork tender.
- Medium potatoes- Start with 8 minutes, then increase with 1 minute increments until fork tender.
- Small potatoes- Start with 4 minutes, then increase with 1 minute increments until fork tender.
Can you microwave 2 potatoes at once?
Yes, you can but I wouldn’t recommend more than 4 because it would take too long.
What are best potatoes for roasting and baking?
I prefer Russet potatoes, but Yukon gold or red potatoes are also common. Just about any variety will do, though. It depends on your personal preference.
Baked potato toppings
- Ranch dressing
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Cheese Sauce
- Easy Queso Dip (One Pot)
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Mexican Shredded Chicken (One Pot)
- Diced ham
- Bacon bits
- Buffalo Chicken Dip (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- BBQ Shredded Beef (One Pot)
Spices and Herbs-
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Red chili flakes
- Green onions
- Sautéed onions
- Sliced olives
- Sliced olives
- Sautéed onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Red or green peppers
What to serve with quick microwave potato?
Salad is always a great side option-
- Apple Salad (One Pot)
- Green Salad (One Bowl)
- Best Summer Salad (One Bowl)
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Cucumber Tomato Salad (One Bowl)
Meat is a classic pairing-
- Oven Baked Spatchcock Chicken (One Pan)
- Roast Beef
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot)
- Slow Cooker Ham
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Roast Turkey Breast
Casseroles and pies are a delicious side-
Variations for jacket potatoes
Chili cheese- Heat up a can of your favorite chili such as Sweet Potato Chili (One Pot) or Vegetarian Chili (One Pot) os this Easy Chili (One Pot) , pour over the top of the potato, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
Mexican- Mix up a concoction of your favorite beans, such as black beans or kidney beans, shredded cheddar cheese, cooked ground beef, and top it off with sour cream and taco seasoning. Add a bit of hot sauce for spice.
Twice “Baked”- Once potatoes are cooked, split in half length-wise, then scoop out the centers, leaving the skins intact. Mash up the potatoes and mix in milk, butter, sour cream or ranch, and spices. Place spoonfuls of the mixture back into the potato skins and top with cheese and bacon bits or other preferred toppings and broil in oven until cheese is melted.
Veggie loaded- Top with your favorite finely chopped vegetables. Don’t be afraid to pile them on! Broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, asparagus, corn, and more. You can also microwave a steam bag of mixed vegetables for an easy, fast option.
Spicy- Use hot sauce, red chili flakes, crushed red pepper, or even salsa on your potato for an extra kick.
Broccoli and cheese- Cook broccoli or use a bag of frozen microwaveable broccoli and top your potato with it, then drizzle cheese sauce over the top. Yum!
Tips and techniques
If making multiple potatoes– There is a chance one may be done quicker than the rest. Remove the cooked one and continue cooking the rest for longer, as needed
Do I need to turn potatoes over? No, this is not necessary.
Do I need to oil the potatoes? No, this is not necessary.
Wash potatoes– Be sure to wash your them thoroughly and scrub them clean, especially since you will be leaving the skins on and don’t want any gritty dirt to slip through.
Don’t forget to poke holes in the potatoes- This is important so they don’t burst and make a huge mess in your microwave!
Fridge- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 days and reheated in the microwave.
Freezer- This is not recommended since they don’t thaw well and have an odd after-taste.
More One Pot Potato Recipes
- Crispy Sautéed Potatoes (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Sausages and Potatoes
- Parsley Potatoes (One Pot)
- Chicken and Potatoes (One Pot)
- Green Beans and Potatoes (One Pot)
One Pot Microwave Baked Potatoes
- 3 Russet potatoes, Medium size, Washed, Scrubbed clean, Patted dry
- Toppings of your choice, Such as salt, pepper, green onions, butter, cilantro, red chili flakes, shredded cheese, sour cream e.t.c
- Pierce the potatoes 5-6 spots with a fork. This prevents the potatoes from bursting during cooking.
- Place potatoes on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave on high heat for 8-12 minutes (1000 watts, 100% power). This time can vary depending on your microwave, the size of your potatoes and how many potatoes you are baking. I start with 8 minutes and cook for additional time, if necessary.
- To check if they are done cooking, squeeze the potatoes gently with tongs. If they give without resistance and start to open up, they are ready. If they still seem a bit firm, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until they are tender.
- Remove from microwave.
- Cut in half lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Use a fork to mash up the insides (if you like) and sprinkle toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 days and reheated in the microwave.