Instant Pot Vegetarian Mushroom Bolognese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy vegetarian instant pot mushroom bolognese recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. This thick and chunky pasta sauce is full of button mushrooms, vegetables, Italian herbs.
I know I don’t have to say it, but I’m going to- This is delicious! Just looking at the picture makes my mouth water. Yum! This is a great robust Italian inspired sauce to pair with your favorite pasta on those weeknights you need something easy to fix up for the family. For more yummy pasta sauces, check out Instant Pot Beef Bolognese Sauce, Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce (One Pot), Homemade Marinara Sauce (One Pot), and Basil Pesto Sauce (Blender)
How to make instant pot mushroom bolognese recipe from scratch?
- Sauté ingredients- This includes onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, fennel seeds.
- Deglaze– With red wine or broth.
- Add remaining ingredients- This includes garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, vegetable bouillon, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, red chili flakes, crushed tomatoes.
- Mix– Until combined.
- Cover– And cook.
- Release pressure- This should be a quick pressure release.
- Add final ingredients- This includes milk, basil.
- Continue cooking– To thicken sauce.
What to serve with vegan/ vegetarian bolognese?
Top off your favorite pasta:
- Spaghetti, fettuccine, angel hair, shells, penne
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Zucchini noodles (Zoodles)
- Filled pastas- Such as ravioli or tortellini
Use it as a topping over roasted vegetables:
- Oven Roasted Asparagus (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Broccoli (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Carrots (One Pan)
Add it to other Italian dishes:
- Casseroles- Such as Meatball Casserole (One Pot)
- Manicotti or stuffed shells
- Chicken parmesan
- Baked ziti
Use it as a stuffing in vegetables:
- Stuffed Pumpkin (One Pan)
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats (One Pan)
- Stuffed potatoes
- Stuffed eggplants
Use as dipping sauce for bread:
- Garlic bread
- Grilled cheese sandwich (One Pan)
Do you add milk or cream to bolognese sauce? Why do you add it?
Yes. You can add either milk (I recommend whole milk) or heavy cream to this recipe. Believe me, you won’t want to skip this ingredient because this is what give it a more creamy, rich flavor and silky smooth tecture. If desired, you can also use vegan milk.
Mushroom lentil bolognese- Add some brown lentils for a new twist and fuller dish. Make sure to add extra broth, though, because lentils will absorb a lot of liquid. You don’t want to end up with a burned sauce!
Walnut bolognese- By adding walnuts, you add a unique nutty flavor and texture. Nuts should be roughly chopped, and toasted and added with all the other ingredients.
Make it vegan- By using vegan milk instead of whole milk or heavy cream. Try coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk. Make sure they are full fat.
Add other vegetables- This sauce is great with some added vegetables, such as yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers, cauliflower or cabbage.
Add more mushrooms- For a chunkier version.
Add a variety of mushrooms– Like shiitake, portobello, porcini.
Try other herbs and seasoning blends- This will add a different flavor profile. Try lemon pepper, garlic salt, tandoori masala, garam masala, Mexican taco seasoning.
Tips and techniques
Use low sodium ingredients- Because otherwise your dish may be too salty!
How to thicken bolognese? Let the sauce simmer on “Saute” mode, uncovered to reduce excess liquid and thicken it up.
How to make bolognese thinner?– Mix in more milk or broth until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
What mushrooms to use?– Button mushrooms are great for this recipe, but Portobello mushrooms are awesome, too.
Use nonstick pot– These are sold separately online, but they are so much better than the one that comes with the pressure cooker. I highly recommend purchasing one!
Substitute red wine- If desired, you can replace wine with additional broth.
Seasoning adjustments- You can add more or less, depending on the desired flavor.
Refrigerate- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Freeze- Store in a sealed container for up to 1 month. Thaw and reheat in the microwave before serving.
More One Pot Mushroom Recipes
- Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- Mushroom Rice Pilaf (One Pot)
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta (One Pot)
- Easy Mushroom Gravy (One Pot)
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza (One Pan)
- Easy Garlic Mushrooms (One Pot)
Instant Pot Mushroom Bolognese
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Peeled, Diced
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced
- 4 cups Button mushrooms, Cleaned, Roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds, Preferably crushed or powdered
- 1/2 cup Red wine, Or use low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste
- 1 cube Vegetable bouillon, Low sodium, Crushed, Optional but highly recommended
- 1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes, 28 oz. can, Can replace with diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Milk, Whole, Can be replaced with vegan milk
- 1 tbsp Basil, Fresh, Roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- And add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, fennel seeds and saute until onion is translucent and mushrooms are golden brown. The mushrooms will release some water but it will quickly evaporate as your continue sauteing.
- Deglaze with red wine or broth. Be sure to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, vegetable bouillon, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, red chili flakes and mix until combined.
- Mix in crushed tomatoes.
- Put the lid on and turn the the valve to “Sealing.”
- Select “Manual” mode and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, turn the valve to “Venting” and do a quick pressure release.
- Remove lid and mix in some milk and fresh basil.
- Continue cooking on the "Saute" mode (if necessary) to reduce excess liquid and thicken the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Enjoy with pasta.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.