Mushroom Rice Pilaf (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy mushroom rice recipe, made with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop in 30 minutes. Full of garlic, onion, fresh white or cremini mushrooms.
Mushrooms elevate every dish they touch. They take something basic like rice, and turn it into an elegant dish with a much more intense depth of flavor like mushroom rice pilaf. Another example is this Creamy Mushroom Pasta (One Pot) and this Portobello Mushroom Pizza (One Pan). Two dishes that are rather generic on their own, and become something decadent with the addition of the mushroom.
How To Make Mushroom Rice Recipe From Scratch?
- Heat butter and oil– In a large pot.
- Cook mushrooms– Add to pot, and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from pot– Keep aside.
- Saute it– Add remaining butter and oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and saute.
- Deglaze pan– Add wine carefully.
- Cook– Add rice and cook.
- Mix in broth– Until combined.
- Cover and cook
- Turn off heat– Add the sauteed mushrooms and parsley.
- Put the lid on– Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid– Gently mix everything together.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top– Enjoy.
What To Serve With Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf?
It tastes wonderful alongside a curry such as this Instant Pot Beef Curry. Basically, any dish which has a lot of sauce and juices would be an awesome accompaniment like Instant Pot Red Wine Pot Roast, Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken (One Pot), or Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken.
Mushroom rice soup– Add broth and a cooked protein, if you like, to create a mushroom rice soup.
Rice casserole– Spread in a 9×13 casserole dish and mix with chicken and top with cheese for a mushroom rice casserole.
Rice bake– Spread rice in a baking dish, add a protein and cheese on top, and bake.
Add other nuts– Such as walnuts or slivered almonds.
Add cheese– Freshly shredded parmesan or mozarella would be delicious.
Make creamy rice– Add heavy cream or cream cheese for a very creamy rice version.
Spicy Indian rice– Add cayenne pepper and curry seasoning for even more flavor.
Chinese rice– Add ginger, soy sauce, honey, sriracha, and cilantro.
Mexican rice– Add Mexican seasoning, cilantro, and finely chopped jalapenos or green chilies.
Add Worcestershire– For a deeper level of flavor and umami.
Add seasoning– Add rosemary, thyme, basil, paprika, or oregano for additional flavor.
Moroccan rice– Add cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked paprika, black pepper, and cumin for a warm Moroccan flair.
Greek rice– Add Greek seasoning, lemon juice, and feta cheese.
Use other flavors of stocks and broths– Such as chicken or beef broth.
Add dried fruits- Add dried raisins, cranberries, cherries as a garnish, which adds subtle sweetness to this recipe.
Tips And Techniques
What mushrooms to use? I recommend white or cremini mushrooms, but if you prefer another kind, feel free to use them.
How to clean mushrooms? Fill a bowl with water. Plunge them into the water, and then let them soak for a minute or so. You will see the dirt settle to the bottom of the bowl. Remove them when all dirt is gone from the mushrooms and pat dry with a paper towel.
Why is my rice mushy and soft? How to fix it? This means the rice was cooked for too long, with too much liquid. Make sure to measure the liquid and rice exactly.
Why is my rice hard? How to fix it? If it is still too hard, add a 1/2 cup of broth, cover the rice, and simmer until the rice becomes tender.
What rice to use in pilaf? Use long grain rice such as Basmati, it works best for a pilaf recipe.
Don’t skip the 10 minute rest time!– The residual heat while resting will allow the rice to finish cooking and become tender.
Can I use brown rice? No, because it has a different cooking time and requires a different liquid to rice ratio.
Reduce saltiness– Unsalted butter and low sodium broth are both important to prevent this meal from becoming too salty.
How to prevent sticking? Use a nonstick pot to prevent this from happening.
Adjust seasonings- Add more or less based on your preference.
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
Freeze- This dish can not be frozen. That’s because the texture changes and the rice hardens and loses its fluffy texture, as it thaws.
Reheat– In the microwave.
More One Pot Rice Recipes
- Chicken Fried Rice (One Pot)
- Cilantro Lime Rice (One Pot)
- Sausage and Rice (One Pot)
- Chicken and Rice (One Pot)
- Kimchi Fried Rice (One Pot)
- Dirty Rice (One Pot)
- Coconut Rice (One Pot)
- Garlic Rice (One Pot)
- Pineapple Rice (One Pot)
- Bacon Fried Rice (One Pot)
One Pot Mushroom Rice Pilaf
- 3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 cups Mushrooms, Cleaned, Sliced, White mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Dry white wine, Optional, Can be replaced with broth
- 1.5 cups Long grain rice, Uncooked,I used basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups Vegetable broth, Low sodium
- 2 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Pine nuts, Toastes
- Heat half the butter and half the oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Remove from pot and keep aside.
- In the same pot, add remaining butter and oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and saute until garlic is fragrant and onion is partially softened.
- Add wine carefully, while stirring, scraping the bottom until wine is almost evaporated.
- Add rice and cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour broth and mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid and add the sauteed mushrooms and parsley.
- Put the lid on and let it rest for 10 minutes. The residual heat will allow the rice to finish cooking and become tender.
- Remove lid and gently mix everything together.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.