Crispy Fried Chicken Bites (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy fried chicken bites recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. Tender chicken pieces are coated in super crispy toppings of panko breadcrumbs and cornflakes.
Oh, these are so yummy! Believe it or not, you can make these quickly at home with ingredients you likely have already! Save money and eat better by staying in tonight and making these tasty chicken bites to munch. And while you’re at it, check out my Irish Nachos and Roll Up Pinwheel Sandwiches for more delicious fun.
How to make crispy fried chicken bites recipe from scratch?
- Combine- Flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper together in a Ziploc bag.
- Mix– Buttermilk and egg together in a second Ziploc bag.
- Add– Breadcrumbs and cornflakes to a third Ziploc bag and mix.
- Place– The chicken cubes in the flour mixture, seal bag, and toss to coat.
- Dip– Each chicken cube individually in the buttermilk mixture and then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
- Deep fry– These breaded chicken pieces in hot oil until deep olden brown.
- Transfer– To a tray lined with paper towels.
- Serve immediately– With dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!
What to serve with easy homemade Southern style chicken bites?
These are made for dipping! There are some great options to choose from-
- Sriracha mayo
- Sweet chili sauce
- Honey mustard
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip
- Homemade Veggie Dip
- Creamy Dill Dip
You can also serve these alongside
- Best Summer Salad (One Bowl)
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Easy Green Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Coleslaw (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cranberry Salad (Cranberry Fluff)
- Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan)
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts (One Pot)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Beets (One Pan)
- Microwaved Baked Potatoes (One Pot)
- Crispy Sautéed Potatoes (One Pot)
- Parsley Potatoes (One Pot)
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes (One Pan)
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes (One Pot)
- Avocado Egg Salad (One Pot)
- Easy Tomato Sandwich (One Pan)
- Cucumber Sandwich (One Pan)
- Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich (One Pan)
Variations for breaded chicken nuggets
Buffalo chicken bites- Add about 3/4 cup buffalo sauce and get some great flavor!
Bacon wrapped chicken bites- If you really want to take this recipe up a notch in flavor and make it a party favorite, wrap it in bacon before frying.
Oven baked version– If you want a low-fat option or just aren’t comfortable frying, you can place these on an oven tray for 25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
Asian style- Use ginger, Cajun seasoning, garlic, and a little honey to add an oriental twist.
Make it spicy- If you like hot wings, you may want to add some red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, more black pepper, and a hot sauce for dipping.
What oil to use for frying?
There are many different options you can use for frying. Your choice may depend on what you have on hand, your health preferences and parameters, the flavor you want, as well as what you can afford. One of the cheapest oils and one that is most commonly used for frying is vegetable oil. However, canola oil, peanut oil, and avocado oil are also often used and make a great choice as well.
How to make super crispy chicken?
It is important to get that chicken to the right crispiness. First, you will want to make sure that you are frying at the right temperature, depending on what oil you use but really it’s all about the topping. Using seasoned bread crumbs and plain cornflakes for this recipe is key to giving it the right crunch and flavor people want.
Tips and techniques
- Use Ziploc bags instead of mixing bowls– Because it makes less of a mess for easy cleanup.
- Homemade buttermilk– This is one ingredient that not everyone has on hand all the time. Thankfully, there is an easy way to make it at home with 2 simple ingredients you likely have: 1 cup milk and 1 Tbs lemon juice or vinegar.
- Use plain cornflakes- Do not use Frosted Flakes or anything like that, because it will taste too sweet and it’s possible the texture would be off and it wouldn’t fry as nicely.
- Use seasoned breadcrumbs– Because they have so much more flavor!
- Make sure oil is hot before frying– Because otherwise the topping will absorb too much oil before actually frying and become soggy.
- Drain excess oil on paper towel– Because you don’t want your chicken too greasy and this also makes it easy to discard the excess oil.
- If using plain breadcrumbs- Season them with some herbs and spices, such as Basil, Parsley, garlic salt, pepper, Thyme, and Rosemary.
Fridge- Allow chicken to cook, then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer- Place in a sealed container for up to 1 month.
More One Pot Appetizers
- Stuffed Mini Peppers (One Pan)
- Garlic Cheese Bombs (One Pan)
- Mini Cheese Balls (One Bowl)
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (One Pan)
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies (One Pan)
One Pot Crispy Fried Chicken Bites
- 2 cups Seasoned breadcrumbs, I highly recommend using Italian or seasoned breadcrumbs for more flavor but plain breadcrumbs can be used.
- 2 cups Cornflakes, Plain, Crushed
- 2 pounds Boneless chicken, Cut into small 1.5 inch cubes
- In a large Ziploc bag, make the flour mixture by mixing together flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper.
- In another large Ziploc bag, make the buttermilk mixture by mixing together buttermilk and egg.
- In a third large Ziploc bag, make breadcrumb mixture by mixing together breadcrumbs and cornflakes.
- Add the chicken cubes to the bag with flour mixture. Seal bag and toss to coat each piece in the seasoned flour.
- Dip each chicken cube individually in the buttermilk mixture and then dredge in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
- Deep fry these breaded chicken pieces in hot oil until deep olden brown.
- Transfer to a tray, lined with paper towels.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!