Mandarin Orange Salad (One Bowl)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Mandarin orange salad recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 10 minutes. Full of orange dressing, spinach, arugula, dried cranberries, poppy seeds.
This is such a refreshing Summer salad! The bright, juicy, oranges bursting with color and flavor make it a striking addition to any table. If salads are high on your list of loves, then try this Best Summer Salad (One Bowl) or this Easy Pear Salad (One Bowl) this season as well.
How To Make Mandarin Orange Salad Recipe From Scratch?
- Make dressing– Whisk together orange juice concentrate, oil, zest, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt, pepper.
- Toss remaining ingredients– This includes spring greens, oranges, cranberries.
- Enjoy– Serve immediately.
What To Serve With Classic Mandarin Salad?
When I think Summer salad, I think of cookouts and picnics which leads me to think of grilling. This salad is the perfect accompaniment to anything grilled! Grilled Chicken Breast (One Pan), grilled pork chops, steak, fish, burgers, brats, hot dogs, or sausages are all delicious choices.
Mandarin Orange Salad Dressing (Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing)
Whisk together the following ingredients. Store them in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or use immediately.
- 1/4 cup Frozen orange juice concentrate, Can replace with fresh orange juice but the flavor of frozen concentrate is much stronger
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, Preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
Variations For Spinach Orange Salad
Try other greens– Such as kale, butter lettuce, or a combination of many other greens.
Add nuts– Such as pine nuts, cashews, pecans, almonds, or walnuts. Make sure that they are toasted or even candied for better flavor.
Try other dried fruits– Such as dried cherries, raisins, blueberries, apricots, or mango.
Add grapes– For additional sweetness.
Add grapefruit– The tart flavor will balance the sweet oranges beautifully.
Add cheese toppings– Such as gorgonzola, goat, or fresh parmesan cheese.
Add bacon– For a salty, smoky contrast to the sweet fruit.
Add other veggies– Like finely diced celery, cucumber, or even onions.
Add other zests– Such as lemon, lime, or grapefruit.
Tips And Techniques
Fresh mandarin oranges vs. Canned mandarin oranges- Either can be used for this recipe. Canned is convenient and readily available.
Poppy seeds can be omitted– If you are not fond of them, just leave them out.
Drain the canned mandarin oranges– So that the salad does not become a soggy mess.
Use high quality olive oil– This makes all the difference in the flavor of the dressing!
Fresh orange juice vs. Orange juice concentrate– I recommend using the concentrate because it has a much stronger flavor, but either can be used.
Use fresh lemon juice– The fresh flavor can not be matched! Use fresh lemon juice if possible.
Serve immediately– Once the dressing has been mixed into the salad, it must be served immediately for best texture.
Adjust sweetness– Add more or less honey based on your personal preference.
Honey substitute– You can use maple syrup, agave syrup, molasses. Please note that the sweetener choice will alter the overall flavor of the dressing.
Refrigerate– This salad tastes best when served immediately. Leftovers cannot be stored for later because the salad will become soggy. However, you can store the salad and dressing separately for 2 days in the fridge and mix right before serving.
Freeze– Salad can not be frozen due to the high water content. It will become wilted and soggy. You can freeze the salad dressing in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months, if you like. Then just thaw to room temperature to serve.
More Recipes For Salad With Fruit
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Christmas Salad (One Bowl)
- Thanksgiving Salad (One Bowl)
- Harvest Fall Salad (One Bowl)
One Pot Mandarin Orange Salad
- 6 cups Spring greens , Combination of spinach, lettuce, arugula
- 1 can Mandarin oranges , 11 oz. can, Drained
- 1/3 cup Dried cranberries, Trader Joes's orange flavored dried cranberries are amazing in this salad
- In a large salad bowl, make the dressing by whisking together orange juice concentrate, oil, zest, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt, pepper until smooth.
- Add the spring greens, oranges, cranberries and toss until combined.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately. Leftovers cannot be stored for later because the salad will become soggy. However, you can store the salad and dressing separately for 2 days in the fridge and mix right before serving.