Creamy Avocado Pasta (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy, creamy avocado pasta recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop in 20 minutes. Loaded with guacamole, beans, corn. Also known as guacamole pasta.
Avocados are everyone’s favorite these days and I love being able to use them in as many unique ways as possible. This creamy avocado pasta hits the spot every time, just like my Best Avocado Toast (One Pan) or this healthy Tomato Avocado Salad (One Bowl).
How to make avocado pasta?
- Prepare pasta- According to box instructions.
- Drain– And return it to the same pot.
- Add guacamole, red beans, corn, salt, pepper– Mix until pasta is fully coated.
- Add toppings– Such as red chili flakes and fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately and dig in!
What sides to serve with avocado pasta recipe?
Since this recipe is so creamy and rich, serve it with a lighter side such as a simple green salad or Mexican Corn Salad (One Bowl). Avoid salads with strong vinaigrettes and dressings.
Avocado Pasta Sauce
If your guacamole is too thick to use as a sauce, thin it out with some water and/or olive oil into a creamy “sauce-like” consistency and use that. You can blend the oil and guacamole together in a blender or food processor. Some people even thin it out with yogurt or sour cream but please note that it adds a subtle tangy flavor.
If you do not have guacamole on hand, you can simply make this sauce by mixing together avocados, jalapenos, fresh basil, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, lemon juice and olive oil in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.
Avocado pasta salad– Use macaroni noodles instead of penne. Chill in the fridge to make pasta cold. When you are ready to serve, add sliced cherry tomatoes, along with the avocado sauce and garnish with cilantro.
Add pesto– Mix in some of this Basil Pesto Sauce (Blender), along with the guac.
Use other pasta– Such as spaghetti, rotini, cavatappi, or linguine. Use any shape you like.
Add chicken– Shred or dice rotisserie chicken and mix that into this dish.
Add beef– Such as my Mexican Ground Beef Taco Meat (One Pot).
Add bacon– Sprinkle come cooked crumbled bacon on top for a smoky flavor.
Add other vegetables– Such as spinach, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, or even peas.
Garnish/ Topping options– Top it off with a dollop of sour cream, bacon crumbles, fried tortilla strips, jalapeno slices, banana peppers, shredded sheese, red chili flakes, fresh cilantro.
Make it spicy– Mix in serrano peppers or habanero peppers or even jalapenos.
Use different beans– Such as black beans or cannellini beans or even garbanzo beans.
Adjust seasoning– Use more or less, based on your personal preference.
Make it healthier- By using zoodles or Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash for a low-carb option.
Refrigerate– Store in a sealed container for up to 2 days, but please note that the color may darken and brown.
Freeze- I don’t recommend freezing this meal because cooked pasta does not thaw well.
Can you reheat avocado pasta? Yes, reheat in the microwave.
Tips and Techniques
Why is my sauce turning brown? Avocados begin to brown when they are exposed to air. The longer the dish is exposed to air, the browner it will become. It is best to serve this dish immediately.
Cook the pasta first– There is not enough liquid in the sauce to be able to cook the pasta in it. Cook pasta according to the box directions first and then mix it in with the drained pasta.
Do I need to cook the corn before adding it? No. Since frozen corn is being used, it’s already cooked beforehand and the heat from the pasta will make it warm.
Adjust the creaminess– Add more or less guacamole, depending on your taste preference.
Make sure to drain and rinse beans– This removes all the salt and preservatives from the beans.
Homemade guacamole vs. Store-bought guacamole– Either can be used. Store-bought is great on busy weeknights.
More One Pot Pasta Recipes
- One Pot Chicken Pasta (Chicken Fajita Pasta)
- Cheesy Taco Pasta (One Pot)
- Creamy Spinach Pasta (One Pot)
One Pot Avocado Pasta
- 12 oz. Pasta, Penne, Shells or any shape you like
- 1 batch Guacamole, Can also use store-bought version
- 1/2 cup Red beans, Canned, Drained and Rinsed
- 1/3 cup Corn, Frozen
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/8 tsp Red chili flakes, For topping, Optional
- 1 tsp Cilantro, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For topping
- Prepare pasta, according to box instructions.
- Drain and return it back to the same pot.
- Add guacamole, red beans, corn, salt, pepper and mix until pasta is full coated. Note: If your guacamole is very thick, thin it out with some water and/or olive into a creamy "sauce-like" consistency and use that. Some people even thin it out with yogurt or sour cream but it adds a light tangy flavor.
- Top it off with red chili flakes, cilantro and some parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days but the color may darken over time.