Cajun Chicken (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy Cajun chicken recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot on stovetop in 30 minutes. Tender chicken is coated in a delicious sweet and spicy sauce.
This chicken packs so much flavor that your taste buds won’t know what hit them. Each bite will carry different notes of sweetness and spice leaving everyone at your dinner table in awe of your culinary skills. This chicken tastes delicious in pasta form. So, make sure to give my Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe (One Pot) a try as well.
What is Cajun chicken? What does it taste like?
This flavor profile comes from Louisiana and is known for tasting spicy. It contains black pepper, lots of cayenne pepper, and smoky notes of paprika along with a mix of other seasonings. In this recipe, the chicken is cooked with this Southern seasoning blend and some broth.
How to make Cajun chicken from scratch?
- Heat oil and butter– Over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken– Saute until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, broth– Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook– For about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove lid and continue cooking- Until liquid is reduced to your desired consistency.
- Garnish– With freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
What sides to serve with Cajun chicken recipe?
Serve it with rice. Simple boiled or steamed rice is great or you can try Coconut Rice (One Pot) or this Easy Rice Pilaf (One Pot) and even this Pineapple Rice (One Pot), if you like the sweet and spicy flavor combination.
Try it alongside plain boiled pasta or for a healthier alternative, try zoodles (zucchini noodles) or Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash.
Leftovers can be enjoyed in so many forms such as in sandwiches, wraps (even lettuce wraps!), on a pizza, pasta, as a salad topping, or stuffed in a sweet potato.
What is Cajun spice made of (Homemade Cajun seasoning)?
Make a homemade seasoning blend by mixing together the following ingredients:
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
Store in a sealed jar at room temperature for up to 3 months. All the ingredient quantities can be adjusted, based on your preference.
Cajun chicken alfredo pasta– Prepare this meat, as per the instructions below and then, mix it into this One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe.
Make it creamy– Add half and half or heavy cream or even some cream cheese to make a rich and smooth sauce.
Add vegetables– Such as potatoes or a bag of frozen veggies to make the meal even more hearty.
Grilled/ Baked chicken– Coat chicken in spices (like a dry rub) and then, grill or bake.
Fried Cajun chicken– Marinate meat in a Cajun marinade for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then, coat it in a flour-based tempura batter and deep fry until cooked through.
Add other proteins– Such as shrimp or andouille sausage for a very Creole twist.
Make skewers– Coat the chicken in oil and seasoning. Then, skewer the chicken cubes and grill or bake, along with skewered bell peppers and onions.
Add to a sandwich or wrap– This is another great way to use up leftovers. Use high quality bakery bread and your favorite veggies.
Use it as a topping– On pizza, salads, rice, pasta, in tacos or even as a filling in the Best Cheese Quesadillas (One Pan).
Mix into pasta salad– Such as this Creamy Macaroni Salad (One Bowl).
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– In a sealed container or a freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Reheat– On stovetop or in the microwave.
Tips and Techniques
What cut of chicken to use? I used chicken breast cubes, but you can also use whole chicken breasts, chicken thighs, drumsticks or even wings. The cooking time may vary, depending on what cut you use.
Use unsalted butter and low sodium broth– Because it prevents this dish from becoming too salty.
Use a non-stick pot– Because this prevents the chicken from sticking and burning.
Adjust seasonings– Add more or less, according to your personal preference.
Reduce the spice– Reduce the amount of cayenne pepper.
Don’t omit butter– Because it adds flavor but make sure it’s unsalted. However, if you want to make it dairy free, you can use just oil.
Why is my chicken dry? Because you either over-cooked it or you did not add enough liquid to keep the chicken moist while cooking.
How do you know chicken is cooked through? Chicken is no longer pink and the internal temperature with a thermometer reads between 160 degrees and 165 degrees.
Broth vs. Water- I like to use broth because it adds flavor but if you don’t have that on hand, you can use water.
More One Pot Chicken Recipes
- Bacon Ranch Chicken (One Pot)
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken (One Pot)
- Lemon Pepper Chicken (One Pan)
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken (One Pot)
One Pot Cajun Chicken
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 2 pounds Chicken breast, Boneless, Cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 2-3 tbsp Cajun seasoning, Adjust to your taste preference
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth, Low sodium
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick pot or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and saute for 1-2 minutes until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, broth and mix until combined.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove lid and continue cooking until liquid is reduced to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.