Carrot Raisin Salad (One Bowl)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy carrot raisin salad recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 20 minutes. Crisp grated/sliced carrots are coated in ginger dressing.
This is a great side dish for any occasion, but with Easter coming up I enjoy adding anything with carrots to the menu just for fun. A few other carrot side dishes you may want to whip up tonight include Easy Carrot Slaw, Candied Carrots (One Pot) and Honey Glazed Carrots (One Pot).
How to make carrot salad recipe from scratch?
- Prepare dressing– By whisking together wet ingredients and spices.
- Add in– The remaining ingredients.
- Toss– Until combined.
- Serve– Immediately and enjoy!
What to serve with old fashioned French carrot raisin salad?
This is great as topping or filling for:
- Quesadillas- Such as the Ground Beef Quesadilla (One Pot) or Best Cheese Quesadilla (One Pot)
- Tacos- Put it on your Ground Beef Tacos (One Pot) or Shredded Chicken Tacos (One Pot) for a new twist.
- Burgers and sandwiches- such as this Loose Meat Sandwich (One Pan)
- Potatoes- Such as these yummy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
You can also serve it along various meat dishes:
- Beef- Perfect Roast Beef (One Pot), Instant Pot Shredded Beef, or Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pan)
- Ham/Pork- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin, Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, or Slow Cooker Ham
- Chicken- Grilled Chicken Breast, Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken), or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Carrot salad dressing (Ginger dressing)
This has an olive oil base, but then we add in some creamy mayo. Top it off with the tangy combination of ginger, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Then add a dash of salt and pepper to finish and you’ve got yourself a great salad dressing that can be used for many different salad dishes.
Grated carrots vs. Shredded carrots vs. Thinly sliced carrots/ Julienne style
Grated- This will give you the smallest pieces of carrot as well as really bringing out the juices.
Shredded- This will give you thin strips. You can find various sizes of cheese shredders, for example, to accomplish this.
Thinly sliced/Julienne style- Using a knife, you cut the carrot into smaller and smaller pieces until you’ve achieved multiple thin, clean cut, even slices. These are often called “match stick” carrots.
“Shredded/Grated carrot salad”– You can use a cheese grater or other kitchen gadget to make the carrots different widths, lengths, and textures.
Use roasted carrots– These add a more caramelized flavor and you can use my recipe here.
Add other veggies– Such as cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, peas, beetroots, bell peppers, or bean sprouts.
Use a variety of carrots– Such as baby carrots or various colors of rainbow carrots like purple or yellow.
Add other fresh herbs– Such as Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, or even Lemon Thyme.
Try another vinaigrette of mayonnaise-based dressing– Such as…
Add apples– You can use a variety of red, green, and yellow. Some favorites are Red Delicious, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious, depending on the taste you want.
Add drained canned pineapples– This is an easy add-in that gives a great taste to the salad.
Add other dried fruits– Such as blueberries, pineapple, papaya, or apricots.
Add shredded coconut– For a great texture and taste. Toasted would be even better!
Add nuts for crunch– Such as walnuts, peanuts, pecans, or cashews.
Tips and techniques
Why is my salad watery?– It’s possible you let it sit out for too long or the measurement of the dressing ingredients was too much. Also, be sure to wash and pat dry your carrots so there is no remaining moisture.
Salad must be served immediately– Because the salad will become watery and wilted.
I recommend Trader Joe’s dried cranberries- Specifically, the orange flavored cranberries from there are incredible in this recipe!
Serve immediately- Because this salad will become watery and wilt upon standing too long.
Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil– Because it will give you the best texture, flavor, and aroma for your salad.
Storage of salad
Make ahead- Make the dressing and put in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days before serving. You can also make the salad up before-hand and place in a sealed container but this is best done the day of.
Fridge- This recipe is best served immediately after making. Leftovers cannot be stored for later because the salad will become watery. However, you can store the salad and dressing separately for 2 days in the fridge and mix right before serving.
More one pot salad recipes
- Apple Coleslaw (One Pot)
- Creamy Coleslaw (One Bowl)
- Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw (One Bowl)
- Creamy Pea Salad (One Bowl)
- Creamy Cucumber Salad (One Bowl)
One Pot Carrot Raisin Salad
Carrot salad ginger dressing
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise, Full fat
- 1-2 tsp Ginger , Freshly grated, Adjust according to your preference because it has a strong flavor and aroma
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice, Or orange juice
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 4-5 Carrots, Large, Washed, Patted dry, Grated or Thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1.5 tbsp Parsley, Finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Raisins, Can add more or less according to your preference
- 3 tbsp Dried cranberries, The Trader Joe's orange flavored cranberries are incredible in this recipe, Can add more or less according to your preference
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately. Leftovers cannot be stored for later because the salad will become watery. However, you can store the salad and dressing separately for 2 days in the fridge and mix right before serving.